Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 46

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 46

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:45 am

Top 25 Atari 2600 Games
Starting up an atari 2600 collection? Want to know what the best games are? All the answers are here

Retroinspection
Commodore VIC-20
It may have sported a low-resolution display, but Commodore's little VIC-20 still had plenty of great games.

The Making of…
Rick Dangerous
Forget Lara Croft, it was Rick Dangerous who was Core Designs's first real action hero.

Box of Delights
2-Hot-2-Handle
Some compilations are born for greatness, others have the misfortune to feature 8-bit rubbish like Golden Axe…

Developer Lookback
In the first of a brand new three-part series we take a look back at the publishing behemoth Electronic Arts and find out how its evolved over the past 25 years.

The Making of…
Robocop
It is arguably one of the greatest 8-bit movie conversion of all time, but just how difficult was it for Ocean to turn Robocop into a hit videogame? Gary Bracey has the answers.

The Making of…
California Games
In an effort to shake off the winter cold, Retro Gamer interviews the team behind the excellent California Games

The Big Interview
The Arks of Atari
Some of the 2600's biggest developers chat to Retro Gamer about what life was like at Atari.

The Making of…
Loom
'Professor' Brian Moriarty discusses the creation of Loom and why it stands apart from other adventure games.

Plus much more including
Collector's Corner, Express Raider, Superman, Jackal, Rampage, Chase HQ II, Desert Island Disks, Contra 4, Bulderdash Rocks, Konami Arcade Classics

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:31 am

What an awesome cover... can't wait until this comes out for us non-subscribing folk.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:39 pm

Yay, Stu gets a proper portrait :D

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:53 pm

Hope everyone enjoys the Rick Dangerous article...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

MC1

Post by MC1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Can someone remind me when the non-sunscribers can buy it?

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:02 pm

just continuing the vic-20 discussion....

where did jetpac come from? i'm sure i've never seen it released for the vic-20 before!! memory possibly failing me there tho...

Also, had no idea there *was* a Super Amok... intriguing...

lastly, Arcadia was definitely one of the best shooters on the vic-20.... (better even than the rubbish c64 version)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:18 pm

Haven't opened it yet, saving it for the Xmas period but i've just seen the front page & WOW, awesome! I'm loving these front covers.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:28 pm

MC1 wrote:Can someone remind me when the non-sunscribers can buy it?
No.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Couple of questions, what's the missing bit of text at the end of the Seaquest bit on the top 25 Atari games and did you source the screenshots for Chase HQ 2 from somewhere else as they are really fuzzy?
Splink!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:21 pm

kelp7 wrote:where did jetpac come from? i'm sure i've never seen it released for the vic-20 before!! memory possibly failing me there tho...

Also, had no idea there *was* a Super Amok... intriguing...

lastly, Arcadia was definitely one of the best shooters on the vic-20.... (better even than the rubbish c64 version)
Jetpac is the only Ultimate game available for the Vic-20... and not that hard to find. Pretty decent play, though not quite as good as the Speccy.

Super Amok actually is not easy to find sadly, but well worth it, really adds to the Berzerk type genre with some nasty enemies to battle. One of my more favourite cart based games.

Admitedly though I never liked any of Imagine's Vic-20 titles, even though many were written by Eugene Evans, he of the publicity, high salary and fast cars...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Jetpac was the first game I ever played on the VIC-20, good fun...

I'm guessing the SCI screenshots are scans? It's an interesting article. There were quite a few mail order companies who used to advertise forthcoming games before they were finished (one or two got into trouble for taking money for games that didn't exist as well). There's similar evidence for several possible/unreleased C64 cartridges around the same time...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

romanista

Post by romanista » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:08 pm

service for mac emulator fans as usual on www.macretro.ricklindeman.nl
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:46 pm

Long time complainer/first time responder. Can I appear in your magazine please!? Have recently taken out a subscription as I want to do my part in coverting your magazine from niche to mainstream then back to niche and ultimately bankruptcy. Can we have a feature soon on the Atari XL or failing that a section on Dad Gamers. These are a unique folk who fit in gaming around hectic family lifestyles and should be acknowledged for their sterling efforts.
Sincerley,
forum member (sscott).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14 am

sscott wrote:Long time complainer/first time responder. Can I appear in your magazine please!? Have recently taken out a subscription as I want to do my part in coverting your magazine from niche to mainstream then back to niche and ultimately bankruptcy. Can we have a feature soon on the Atari XL or failing that a section on Dad Gamers. These are a unique folk who fit in gaming around hectic family lifestyles and should be acknowledged for their sterling efforts.
Sincerley,
forum member (sscott).
It's your lucky day. The Atari 800XL is in the very next issue...

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:34 pm

loved reading about California Games and the Atari 2600. Another cracking issue - it seems there's always something new to unearth and there will always be interesting stories to be told behind these pivotal games and systems.

A great surprise to receive the new issue so soon after the last one. Took the last three issues to my folks' house on Christmas Day and read them with beer accompaniment every time the TV became unbearable. Great days!