Weekly computer mags from the late 80s

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Weekly computer mags from the late 80s

Post by The Master » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:31 am

I haven't seen these mentioned much at all really, either in the mag or on here. In fact there doesn't seem to be a great deal about them on the whole internet for some reason! Did I dream it all?

I used to religiously subscribe (well, get the newsagent to hold a copy) to "New Computer Express" right from the very first issue, and would also have a crafty read of their main rival (was it called Popular Computing Weekly?) from cover to cover on my rural paper round - perks of the job!

NCE gradually got more and more pricey, less and less thick, the design and layout suddenly went from "pleasing" to "god-awful" and eventually they made the fatal error of sticking a weekly multi-format floppy on the cover, which as an Archimedes owner back then, was a pretty expensive blank disc for me. I stopped buying it not long afterwards, but I don't think it lasted much longer.

Up until a certain point though it was a great little read and really helped keep me informed on the current goings-on in those pre-net days.

Did anyone else buy any of these? Were there more that I've forgotten? How about an article on them?

I had about six letters published too, and won a couple of games :D

CrookieMonster

Post by CrookieMonster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:05 am

I quite liked GamesX. It was a multi-format magazine produced by Europress and was bright and breezy enough. I remember getting a free CPC disk copy of Cecco's Deliverance from it by collecting some coupons so at least they didn't neglect the Amstrad owners... :D

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:21 am

I've still got a few issues of 'Popular Computing Weekly' from the mid-80's in the house somewhere...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:58 am

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The5thAxis

Post by The5thAxis » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've quite a few old weeklies:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5726
Oh my god, those Astounding Stories, Creepy World books.... want to sell them ??
"I am blind, but I am able to read thanks to a wonderful new system known as broil. I'm sorry, I'll just feel that again..."

chinnyhill10

Re: Weekly computer mags from the late 80s

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 pm

The Master wrote: NCE gradually got more and more pricey, less and less thick, the design and layout suddenly went from "pleasing" to "god-awful" and eventually they made the fatal error of sticking a weekly multi-format floppy on the cover, which as an Archimedes owner back then, was a pretty expensive blank disc for me. I stopped buying it not long afterwards, but I don't think it lasted much longer.
NCE started off really well and went downhill. It was always first with the news and often reported on exciting kit that never launched (C65 etc).

The original games section when the magazine first launched was excellent but was soon dropped. In later issues it was revived, but as a 16 bit only wankfest written by dribbling imbeciles. However, that was rectified once Stuart Campbell took over the reigns, showing exactly how a games section of a multiformat mag should be written. A balanced read with coverage of all the major machines, not just the 16 bits.

The death knell for NCE was the disk. I wrote a letter to them saying as much and was mocked by the snotty letters editor. I was proved right. The magazines price went up, the disk was full of crap and only worked for the PC, ST and Amiga. The mag had a sizable CPC, Mac and Archie readership and they decided to censored them all off. Most of the CPC owners couldn't even reformat the disk (there was a reasonable crossover of readership with Amstrad Action).

You can still read some Gamesweek's from NCE on World Of Stuart:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/world/nce.htm

hedgehog

Post by hedgehog » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:35 pm

New Computer Express, such a lovely magazine in its time. Used to buy each issue as it came out for something to do whilst doing my first ever job (mainframe operations).

I've got every issue from 0 until the last where it was announced there would be no more. Keep meaning to scan/OCR them but always find something more interesting to do...

I've also tried to complete my collection of Popular Computing Weekly but am missing a lot more issues and buying odd ones and twos from Ebay is too expensive.