Forum front page

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:03 pm

necronom wrote:This is what I see. I only get the first three (and the High Scores one is only just on).

I don't know what it would be like with an advert there as well!

Just curious, why do you actually use Opera?

I've got IE6/7, Firefox 1/2, various flavours of Netscape & Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and (haha!) Seamonkey installed on this machine, but only mainly for testing. (All sorts of weird censored on the Mac too, better not go there!)

But I find *myself* really only ever using IE7, or *sometimes* Safari.

I'm not having a dig, I just genuinely wonder!

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:01 pm

Where do I start?

It's fast, efficient, all-in-one (no need for plug-ins for almost anything I want, though I added one for zooming pics), a page zoom function, has had tabbed browsing for ages (first to do it?), mouse gestures (also first to have this? One of the best things ever invented), has integrated email client (I can't imagine not having this), very customisable, small file size, quick loading, no memory leaks, pop-up blocker been built-in for ages, content blocker (no ads on RG site, for example), tabs stay open when you re-load Opera, middle click scrolling is smooth (unlike others I've used), password manager, integrated "find on page", secure and safe to use (more-so than IE by a long shot), the most standards compliant browser AFAIK, site specific preferences, thumbnail previews on tabs, notes area (very useful), nice transfers manager, excellent searches for email/bookmarks/notes/contacts/etc, fast forward, full screen mode, the re-open closed tabs drop-down, fills in key words in input boxes (for example I can enter my name & address in boxes by pressing p, 2, n, m, c, t - the first letters of each part, and selecting them from a drop-down list - this is extremely quick) and probably loads more that I can't think of right now.

It has lots of other things I've never seen on other browsers, but those are the ones I use regularly.

Overall I think it absolutely fantastic, and probably my favourite piece of software I have on my PC. I've used it for about 6 years, and in that time it's been miles ahead of the competition in my view. Others have copied things from it, so people might not see as many advantages now, but I still think it's much better than any other I've used in the past (including the latest IE, and an unknown version of Firefox I tried a few months ago, that took forever to load).

I couldn't live without most of the features it has. Of course, with it in it's default settings I don't like a few things, so I'd have to change it to my liking - mainly moving the "bookmark/mail/contacts/history/transfers/notes" buttons to where I like them - see top left under "unread", the "Mail" section is displayed below:

This side bar pops out/hides with a click at the left edge of the screen.

Well, you did ask :wink:

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Wow, now that's passion - I respect that :)

With all due respect, though, I'm going to read it properly again tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake ;)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:30 pm

woody.cool wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:I'm using AdBlockPlus with firefox so maybe thats filtering it out?.
Same here, that's probably why I haven't noticed it before now!
snap.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:20 am

markopoloman wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:I'm using AdBlockPlus with firefox so maybe thats filtering it out?.
Same here, that's probably why I haven't noticed it before now!
snap.
But thats just one advert. You still get...

The new link to other Imagine mags
Forum Rules
AUP
Sponsor forum section
World of Warcraft
News & Exlusives
Total PC Gaming
Emags
Imagine shops

All before you get to the actual forum

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:52 am

Use this link:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/search. ... d=newposts

All you need, right there.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:54 am

But thats not the point I was making. Workarounds are fine and I do have a filtered link on my favourites, its just a bit annoying thats all. Especially as I use the forum on many pc's.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:58 am

SirClive wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
woody.cool wrote: Same here, that's probably why I haven't noticed it before now!
snap.
But thats just one advert. You still get...

The new link to other Imagine mags
Forum Rules
AUP
Sponsor forum section
World of Warcraft
News & Exlusives
Total PC Gaming
Emags
Imagine shops

All before you get to the actual forum
That's true - I had noticed that. I just have to scroll down a bit - but it is a tad bit annoying.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:52 pm

SirClive wrote:....World of Warcraft....
What is the point of this? When you visit it it's locked anyway. :?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:43 am

They should be moved to the bottom (all except AUP - needed near the top for new members to spot it)