Is Retro Gamer exclusively video?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 am

I don't think it matters if pinball machines were the dominant game of the arcade pre-video, or whether they funded game development. The issue (for me) revolves around the actual game. Its not a videogame. Not even those that have (imho very poor) video elements. Its pinball.

RG is (again imho) a videogame magazine.

I firmly believe however that if we're to make space for the odd (mechanical) pinball article, we should also include other 'related' games. We've had one on mechanical shooting galleries, now give us all the other games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:21 am

I'm not anti-pinball, i used to play on pinball machines tons when i was younger and theyre still great if theres one in a pub or something.

Just in Retro Gamer i personally dont want to see articles about pinball machines in Retro Gamer. Retro fusion used to have a mix of old skool TV and similar articles and yeah it would have been ideal for that. Retro Gamer had i think in one issue an A-Z (the start of) of retro stuff and that didnt pan out.

If theres a Pachinko game on MAME or the Neo Geo then perhaps show that at some stage, any pinball games on any computer/console then show those. But the actual machines themselves i dont want to see. If something can be emulated or played ona computer/console then yes.

I dont care if pinball machines funded video games. I'm not anti-pinball but i dont want articles in Retro Gamer. I want articles on computer or console games or arcade games. Slating the people who dont want to see these articles is funny, again i've played a lot of pinball games for years, i've enjoyed playing them and still do but i dont want articles in the mag. What next ? We should have articles on Warhammer the board game or other Dungeons and Dragons board games as its a type of retro game ?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:54 am

Right, you can all have your dummy's back but I'm keeping the Tonka Truck and this action man. :roll:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:28 am

Kinda hard to argue about the fact that we have had board games. Sure, they were video game related board games. But they mostly didn't even have moving parts. :shock:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:10 am

The Master wrote:No, by the fact that, whether you like it or not, there is a Pinball feature in issue 45!
Hopefully, there will be ads (or failing that, some CPC stuff) on the back of this article so I can just rip it out :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:24 am

So hang on - something like Gottlieb Pinball Classics - which emulates real-life pinballs as closely as possible - IS a videogame, but the real machine (which in gameplay terms is absolutely exactly the same) ISN'T? Hmm, interesting taxonomy, there.

Anyway, the feature is both relevant and excellent, so shut up everyone.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:46 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Anyway, the feature is both relevant and excellent, so shut up everyone.
Or what?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:06 am

Or there'll be trouble.

(Where "trouble" is defined as "a 46-page retrospective on 3D Deathchase".)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:12 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Gottlieb Pinball Classics - which emulates real-life pinballs as closely as possible - IS a videogame, but the real machine (which in gameplay terms is absolutely exactly the same) ISN'T?
See. Even the Rev. agrees with us :twisted:
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Or there'll be trouble.

(Where "trouble" is defined as "a 46-page retrospective on 3D Deathchase".)
In that case, im all for an article on pinball :wink:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:59 am

I think you should stretch the 3D Deathchase out to fill the whole issue :D

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:30 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:So hang on - something like Gottlieb Pinball Classics - which emulates real-life pinballs as closely as possible - IS a videogame, but the real machine (which in gameplay terms is absolutely exactly the same) ISN'T? Hmm, interesting taxonomy, there.
No more so than Forza is a video game but driving a car isn't.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 am

Dudley wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:So hang on - something like Gottlieb Pinball Classics - which emulates real-life pinballs as closely as possible - IS a videogame, but the real machine (which in gameplay terms is absolutely exactly the same) ISN'T? Hmm, interesting taxonomy, there.
Forza is as much like driving a real car as it is like water-skiing.

Incidentally, when did you last hear of anyone dying in a tragic pinball accident?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:29 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Forza is as much like driving a real car as it is like water-skiing.

Incidentally, when did you last hear of anyone dying in a tragic pinball accident?
When's the last time you heard of anyone slapping the side of a videogame to influence play?

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:36 am

When did you last hear of a pinball videogame that didn't have a "tilt" function?