Is Retro Gamer exclusively video?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Dudley wrote:
Nitters wrote:
Dudley wrote: Yes. Thanks for your input. Well done.
Yes. Thanks for your input. Well done.
Cheers.

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:36 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Pinball fans go on and on about this, trying to be accepted by real gamers and trying to fill our magazine with their boring rubbish.. Lets face it, there is no way there will ever be a Pinball magazine on the shelves of your local newsagent because it would never sell so they get all sulky and want everyone else to put up with their junk.

Pinball games have nothing to do with Videogames at all, have no baring on the evolotion of gaming and if they were never invented only leather jacket wearing, 1950's grease loving freaks would miss them.

If we include Pinball machines then anything that accepted a coin would have to be included such as fruit machines, coin changers, those chocolate machines that you used find on train platforms, tampon machines from out the girls loo etc etc..
REAL gamers? 1950's Grease Loving freaks? Sulky? You little censored.

Okay, I've had enough. Seriously, every single comment you make on Pinball is full of useless abuse and crap.
You suggest people who enjoy pinball are retarded, not real gamers, and total losers. Comparing a Pinball Machine to a tampon machine is utterly *&^%ing pathetic. Just like you, eh?

Seriously, what IS your problem with Pinball Machines, and why do you have to insult people who enjoy it just to feel better about yourself?
Or maybe, just maybe, you're just totally *&^%ing useless at them.

And really, if you don't know how much skill is needed to play a pinball, then I'm sorry, but you're the only "special" one around here. Lining up a shot, a gentle nudge to keep the ball in play, concentration just like playing video games.

Oh, Pinball is just hitting the flipper buttons and smacking the ball around. Hang on. Hang the &^%$ on. Isn't simplistic easy to understand Gameplay one of the trademarks of many of our favourite retro games? Isnt the whole "retro dream" thing about how games were less complicated and that makes them fun? Isn't that the whole bloody principle of a lot of arcade games, and most of the earlier ones? Hmm Space Invaders, left, right, and fire. Hell, that's awfully complicated. Let's dedicate about 20 pages (from Issue 1 onwards) to it.

Grow the Goddamn Hell up. censored off back to the Fantasy Zone and go play ET on the 2600 with all your friends, you stupid bastard.

Pinball has a lot to do with Video Games. Without Pinball, there would be NO Sega.
Yeah thats right, NO SEGA! Geez, that has NOTHING to do with Gaming...except, oh wait, yes it does. Sega started off importing Pinball Machines into Japan from America. I'll admit, it's not the only thing it did but it was a VERY large part of it.
Hmmm, you know Pinballs have been built by Data East and Sega....now where have I heard those names before........

A Lot of Pinballs are actually a lot better than their Video Game brothers. For example, and if Master has played it I'm sure he'll agree, all the Doctor Who video games that have been released are kinda crappy(Except maybe Destiny Of The Doctors). The Doctor Who Pinball however, is fantastic.

Let's talk about boring. Hearing about all the shows in England that a lot of you go to and get drunk, yeah that's totally *&^%ing engrossing for me here in Australia. Oh wow, a Dragon and a BBC Micro; yeah that's totally relevant for me. Hey, all those reviews and news bits I get three to four months late, really really bloody useful. But I'm NOT complaining. I don't mind. It's just not for me. Like Pinball obviously isn't for everybody.

If we include Pinball then we have to include things like coin changers.....no we don't you moron, we talked about Videogame Board Games, by your logic where are all the articles on normal board games we "had" to have? This magazine is about what WE (well, mainly the writers, natch) want in it. If we want a Pinball article, then we can, without "having" to talk about chocolate machines. Retro GAMER, dickhead, not Retro Anything that takes coins and/or plays games. Pinball is a game, and it's Retro. How the *&^% does a tampon machine figure into that logic?

Niche? Half the freaking games mentioned each month can be pretty bloody obscure. Pinball is Coin-Op, just like Arcade Machines. In fact, they ARE Arcade Machines.

Theres really only one retro gaming magazine on the market compared to all the modern gaming mags. Using your logic, Retro Gaming must be crap and have about 20 fans.
Hey maybe we're all the "fans of boring rubbish" that whinged in other magazines and theres been enough of us that have gone off sulking to form our own magazine! Yeah that must be it.

Noone ever asked for a regular Pinball feature. I simply said hey why not a Pinball Article. As in the SINGULAR.

If you're going to call me special, retarded, and an idiot for liking pinballs then you're a pathetic inbred shithead for liking crappy old games that everyone else has moved on from and GROWN up.
Unlike most of the machines covered in the Magazine, there is still a major Pinball Manufacturer out there, so what does that tell you? Theres still a market for Pinballs? That Pinball is more popular than your darling retro machines?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all things retro, but I'm afraid this just really pisses me off.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Excellent post Sir! :D

I had a lovely game of Pinball yesterday:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:53 am

Emperor_Megatron wrote:
LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS OF BORING RUBBISH (YAWWNNNN)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all things retro, but I'm afraid this just really pisses me off.
Must have got it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that eh kid ;)

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:04 am

I have to say I'm in the "video games only" crowd too. Pinball games are a different form of gaming altogether and while they have their place, I don't think they belong here. We might as well demand that board games and fruit machines and PBM games are covered too.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:20 am

What about bingo?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:33 am

Bub&Bob wrote:What about bingo?
Bingo the clown? Nasty piece of work and a great showreel, but as tenuously RG related as pinball.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:35 am

Nitters wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Nitters wrote: Yes. Thanks for your input. Well done.
You two keep swapping mags all the time, do you? :P :wink:

If you need any spares I've got the whole series. :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 am

I was more of a Home Computer Course kid. No pinball in that either.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:50 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's a pinball feature in issue 45...
May I just remind readers that the anti-Pinball killjoys have already been PWNED! See above.

Now, please shush :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:50 am

The Master wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's a pinball feature in issue 45...
May I just remind readers that the anti-Pinball killjoys have already been PWNED! See above.

How? By a page long whine?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:52 am

What about a feature on cup & ball - without that, there would be no Final Fantasy.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:53 am

How about a feature on Eggs? Without them there would be no Dizzy, Billy Hatcher, Chuckie Egg etc. :lol:

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 am

SirClive wrote:
The Master wrote:May I just remind readers that the anti-Pinball killjoys have already been PWNED! See above.

How? By a page long whine?
No, by the fact that, whether you like it or not, there is a Pinball feature in issue 45!

PRETENDING THAT IT ISN'T HAPPENING IS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT NOT HAPPEN :D

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:29 am

Seems to me that the anti pinball establishment didnt experience arcades as they went through the transition to video arcades. Perhaps you had to be there.

There would be no Defender without Pinball ask Eugene, many early video games were funded from pinball profits, Sega bank rolled Data East by buying and putting into production their pinball factory, pinball infact bankrolled Data East in its last two years of existence through the lisence of the GNR pin table. And so it goes it on, the two are forever intertwined.

wihtout wanting to throw stones, im guessing the entire anti pinball lobby here are either A. Under thirty B. Not played a pintable for more than 10 mins C. Have only played pinball through video games and really dont understand the tacity of the machines, in the same way they bemoan arcade games based on their mame experiences.

Are they your machines BTW Master?

Vive le difference
Just where is Mickey T?