ET phone Retro Gamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

olifiers

ET phone Retro Gamer

Post by olifiers » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:18 am

Hi there,

I'm not proud of scoring my first post with negative feedback given Retro Gamer is such a great reading, but it has to be done: the 'Retro Shamer' of ET is just as bad as the game itself.

I understand it's not a 'making of' article, but writing about such a landmark in the industry and not mentioning the reasons why Warshaw created this monstrosity after delivering Yars' Revenge and Raiders of the Lost Ark is not teaching much to those who actually needed to know ET was a fiasco.

Also stating that it alone brought the entire gaming industry down is a bit of a stretch. Fair enough, it played a great deal on the whole mess, but the truth is a bunch of games as bad as ET released more or less at the same time summoned the apocalypse by letting consumers down. I can't help but feeling that if the article was named 'Retro Urban Legend' it would be more suitable for the content it carries. :D

Cheers!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:53 am

Point 1: There's an official feedback section for comments like these.

Point 2: HSW himself is now writing for the mag and has covered the ET topic. You should not take the 'Retro Shamer' article in isolation. We already have the back story to it elsewhere.

Point 3: Welcome to the forum :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 am

Yeah, it's very unfair on the author, he had an impossible deadline to deliver a game that had promise.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 am

Dudley wrote:Yeah, it's very unfair on the author, he had an impossible deadline to deliver a game that had promise.
Yes, and that's a sadly all-too-regular lament of the games industry in general as it "matured"...

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote: Point 2: HSW himself is now writing for the mag and has covered the ET topic. You should not take the 'Retro Shamer' article in isolation. We already have the back story to it elsewhere.
Where abouts is that?
Splink!

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:15 am

Hey Olifers,

Sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the ET piece this issue. Just to explain, the Retro Shamer articles are merely a bit of fun-poking. They're not intended to be fact-driven or go into a game's history.

If we did touch on the game's back-story - given that the main body text is only allotted around 700 words - they would just come off as watery making of's.

The tone of the article is deliberately abrasive, ripping into bad videogames and backing those opinions with the reasons that make them bad, not skirting around them with kid gloves and dressing them up as 'what went wrongs'.

olifiers

Post by olifiers » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:51 am

Ouch, I haven't seen the proper topic for the issue's feedback, my bad.

Stuart, sorry for the flame, the article just stroke me as odd, somewhat shallow, that's why I came to comment on it. Now taking your perspective of a small 'passing-by' approach it kinds of makes sense. It's just that this is the first time ever I read an article on RG without learning anything out of it... It just feel like it didn't stroke a chord, something was amiss -- and there I went firing on the lack of depth, when in fact it should indeed be absent in the first place.

Cheers for the feedback, guys!

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:28 am

Olifiers,

No worries. The feature is new, it was introduced last issue with a short explanation, so if you missed it then this E.T piece would have certainly seemed peculiar.

We're testing out a few new light feature ideas to break up the mag a little and the Retro Shamer article is one example. If we find that a lot of people dislike it, we'll of course remove it from the mag or rethink its tone.

Anyways, hope you’re enjoying the rest of the mag, welcome to the forum :D

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:58 am

I think it should be more abrasive in tone, and feature heavy swearing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:22 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: Point 2: HSW himself is now writing for the mag and has covered the ET topic. You should not take the 'Retro Shamer' article in isolation. We already have the back story to it elsewhere.
Where abouts is that?
Am I mixing up GamesTM and RG? I know I was reading HSW this week. Don't have the mags to hand, I'm at work.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
Where abouts is that?
Am I mixing up GamesTM and RG? I know I was reading HSW this week. Don't have the mags to hand, I'm at work.
Howard has done the intro to the last two issues of gamesTM's Retro section, so you are mixing your mags up. He was also the castaway for a Desert Islands Disks feature in RG a while back.

(And from a historical point of view, I don't think it DESERVES the title of worst game ever. I've played worst, and indeed HSW did some nifty tricks with the 2600 hardware.)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:53 pm

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Hey Olifers,

Sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the ET piece this issue. Just to explain, the Retro Shamer articles are merely a bit of fun-poking. They're not intended to be fact-driven or go into a game's history.

If we did touch on the game's back-story - given that the main body text is only allotted around 700 words - they would just come off as watery making of's.

The tone of the article is deliberately abrasive, ripping into bad videogames and backing those opinions with the reasons that make them bad, not skirting around them with kid gloves and dressing them up as 'what went wrongs'.
Then to be honest, ET was a bad game to choose. You should be doing games that don't have excuses. When I did a similar article I chose Paperboy 2 for instance.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:01 pm

That's a fair point Dudley. I'll certainly give it a bit more thought next time.

It's Dark Castle next (the MegaDrive version). No one has any problems with us rippin' on that surely? :D

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:52 pm

All I know is that this piece entertained me greatly. Which is perfectly fine by me :)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:25 pm

Indeed, ET is neither the worst game ever made nor solely responsible for bringing down the videogame industry, two sadly widely populated myths. Given poor HSW had 6 weeks, ET turned out a lot better than some games that had months, or years to be produced...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...