Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 44

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 44

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:01 am

Complete History DOOM
Prepare to get scared senseless as Retro Gamer looks back at one of gaming's most terrifying franchises

Classic Game
Spy Hunter
Move over James Bond, because we've found a spy theme tune that's even better than yours

The Making of…
Rescue on Fractalus
Find out how a failed Star Wars pitch turned into a monstrous hit and helped launch LucasArts

Conversion Capers
Green Beret
It's a well known arcade hit from the Eighties, but how was it converted to the Speccy? Retro Gamer investigates

Run N Gun Special
There's an insane number of classic run n gun titles available, but which ones are worth your actual time? Retro Gamer has the answers

The Making of…
Populous
It's one of Bullfrog's most popular games and helped launch a brand new genre: the god sim. Retro Gamer talks to its creators and finds out how it all began

Retroinspection
Master System
Nintendo's NES may have dominated the 8-bit market, but Sega wasn't willing to go down without a fight.

The Making of…
James Pond trilogy
Prepare for plenty of bad puns as Retro Gamer investigates the puntastic James Pond trilogy

Desert Island Disks
Rob Fulop
From creating Atari coin-op conversions for the Atari 2600 to creating desktop cats and dogs. Meet Rob Fulop

And much much more including
Collector's Corner
Scuba Dive
Chiki Chiki Boys
Yume Penguin Monogatari
Lucky & Wild
A Nightmare on Elm Street
ET
Fort Apocalypse
Magic Mushrooms[/img]
Last edited by Darran@Retro Gamer on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:25 am

Got this Saturday, pleasantly surprised, doesn't seem like 5 mins since we had the Donkey Kong issue (that's the postal strike for you!!)

Enjoyed it immensely (not to mention that my question is in the "Message in the Bottle" section)

Out of interest how many people have googled Dana Plato?

The Populous look back was really good, I do remember reading a few years ago that the sound of buildings burning was a sample of a crisp packet been screwed up!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:27 am

Out of interest how many people have googled Dana Plato?
I did.. :oops: :D

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:29 am

:lol: Busted :lol:

merman

Post by merman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:47 am

Markopoloman, in the other thread wrote:and something that has been pinched from this very forum (without even a mention) Conversion Capers (comparisons) of Green Beret. Very good article that one.
Actually, marko, the conversion comparison was part of RG back in the Live Publishing days (when Rob Mellor would look at a particular game), and there have been other Conversion Capers in the Imagine RG (Dragon's Lair, Gauntlet) - this was a revival of that series.

But glad you enjoyed the article!

Still reading through this issue, but I enjoyed the Making of Rescue on Fractalus! immensely!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a huge honour for me to get to speak to all the guys concerned, and David Fox later pointed out it was the first time its happened since the game was released in '84 :)

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Doom was the first playstation game I played and is a very good game, the feature on Doom is mint

the making of Populous is the best "making of" yet

Populous was wicked on the amiga I used to play it for hours and days on end

Back to 80s was great

another mint issue of RG

cheers

8) 8) :D :D
Last edited by forestville on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Press play on tape

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:27 pm

forestville wrote:Doom was the playstation game i played and is a very good game, the feature on Doom is mint
Is this a scratch and sniff feature? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
forestville wrote:Doom was the playstation game i played and is a very good game, the feature on Doom is mint
Yes, if you scratch at the Cacodemon you get the unpleasent smell of putrid flesh and gunsmoke.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Yes, if you scratch at the Cacodemon you get the unpleasent smell of putrid flesh and gunsmoke.
Not mint?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm

Yep i was surprised when it came through my door on saturday morning.

Love the top 25 run and gun feature, had some games on the list i hadnt tried before so look forward to trying those out.

Glad there was an apology about Speccy Bombjack and so there should be ;)

Gonna have to try the Master System again and a lot of games on that system.

Excellent issue ! Would love to see more of 'top 25....' type listings as those normally feature a fair few games i havent really tried or given a chance to before. Best part of the mag for me

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:43 pm

psj3809 wrote:Would love to see more of 'top 25....' type listings as those normally feature a fair few games i havent really tried or given a chance to before. Best part of the mag for me
Well don't worry you'll start seeing a lot more of them in the New Year. RG won't degenerate into a lists magazine, but I think the odd one breaks up the more serious features rather nicely. And if you're discovering new games then the feautre is obviously working.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:11 pm

merman wrote:
Markopoloman, in the other thread wrote:and something that has been pinched from this very forum (without even a mention) Conversion Capers (comparisons) of Green Beret. Very good article that one.
Actually, marko, the conversion comparison was part of RG back in the Live Publishing days (when Rob Mellor would look at a particular game), and there have been other Conversion Capers in the Imagine RG (Dragon's Lair, Gauntlet) - this was a revival of that series.

But glad you enjoyed the article!

Still reading through this issue, but I enjoyed the Making of Rescue on Fractalus! immensely!

Shows how good my memory is!!

Did you do the article then Merman? Twas a goodun - we need more of them.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:32 pm

markopoloman wrote:Did you do the article then Merman? Twas a goodun - we need more of them.
Making of Green Beret cites Merman as the author in its intro.

Good article, though my opinion is biased as its a fave.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Not sure on the cover this month

Looking forward to the Fractulus feature though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"