Stop calling the original Playstation the "PSone"!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What do you call the original Playstation?

PlayStation
35%
Playstation 1
14%
PSone (GAHHHH STOP IT!!!!!!!!!)
6%
PSX
17%
PS1
23%
Ugly old plastic shitbox
5%

Total votes: 81

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:43 am

PSX. 'Cause that was the way almost every mag called it until the "real" PSX came out.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:08 am

Limbrooke wrote:Here's how it boils down, over time of course.

First it was fan named PSX, then PS, then came the PSOne and obvious mention that it was to be succeeded with the PS2, therefore came the PS1 note. Since it is not officially known as PSX (since there is already a Sony console by that name) you can call it either PlayStation, PS, or PS1, while making a side note if you own a PSOne variation. PS1 could represent PSOne since PS without numerics can only mean the original or 'first'. Basically anything that's not PSX.

Personally, I refer to it as PS1 or PlayStation while rarely treading 'PS' grounds.
* wrote:An ugly old plastic shitbox...
Yeah, that's a really justified and necessary point. :roll:
Just to be picky, it WAS originally officially known as PSX, short for "Playstation-X" which was indeed the codename for the project when it was still plugging into a SNES.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 am

Wasn't it just codenamed PS/Playstation and when they got the boot from Nintendo, they renamed it PSX/Playstation-X?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:42 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:The Playstation does not belong to a retro forum, because it simply isn't retro. You can call it the shitstation for all I care.
What a 'great' post ! Many idiots might think old retro games are crap, they prefer to play on their XBox 360 but they dont appreciate how great many of these classics are.

Same for the Playstation 1 (Or PSX1, or PS1 everyone know what we're talking about), theres some very good games on that system.

The Playstation 1 is very old and if its in a Retro Gamer mag i wont be surprised. Of course the Playstation 1 is retro ! It was launched here in 1995, thats 12 years old !!! Saying its not retro ?!?!? Look at the Dreamcast, that featured recently with Crazy Taxi etc. Dreamcast came out in 1999, can understand if you moan about that a bit.

The comment about the 'shitstation' is just stupid

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:58 am

Playstation is the original machine released by Sony
PsOne (PS1) is the smaller, second release, version of the Playstation.
Playstation 2 (PS2) is the second generation machine, in the Playstation series, released by Sony.

What's the problem? All these are official names, they are called what they are called!?!

If someone talks about a PS1 I assume they are talking about a PS1, not the original Playstation or a PS2!
Although for most purposes Playstation and PS1 are fairly interchangeable, dsn't make them the same thing though.

The PSX and original Playstation are very much not the same thing!
I'm not sure whare this confusion came from.

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:06 am

Is this the right place to make the point about how soulless and ball-achingly tedious it is to just add a number to the name of the last console when the the next one comes out, because companies are poo-scared of 'losing the brand'? No? Oh, OK then...

Still, it's not all bad, endless po-faced 'next big thing'-ism in gaming is one of the reasons why we have Retro Gamer.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:11 am

GarryG wrote:The PSX and original Playstation are very much not the same thing!
I'm not sure whare this confusion came from.
Hardware i understand the terms mean different things but as for games its either PS1 or PS2 (Or even PSX1 or PSX2 ) isnt it ? If people are talking about PS1 or Playstation 1 or PSX1 (right or wrong) theyre discussing a game on that earlier system.

Its like someone moaning when you call Speccy games 'roms' not 'images', people know what you mean, you want games for a Speccy emulator. A few might actually mean proper proper ROMS for development or to create an emulator etc but the majority of people are after games.

I'm still laughing at that guy not thinking the Playstation 1 is retro and the term 'shitstation'. Very amusing

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 am

psj3809 wrote:Hardware i understand the terms mean different things but as for games its either PS1 or PS2 (Or even PSX1 or PSX2 ) isnt it ? If people are talking about PS1 or Playstation 1 or PSX1 (right or wrong) theyre discussing a game on that earlier system.
Well yes and no!
I have gotten confused when people start talking about PSX 1 or 2 games...
There isn't a PSX1 or PSX2, as I said I'm not sure where this mis-naming came from. A PSX is a different machine, and wasn't even widely released!

But yes, generally if someone talks about a PS1 game, they are talking about something for the first Sony machine, and a PS2 game for the second... and PS3 for the third now, obviously!

I don't see someone talking about a 'PS1 game', as being the same as someone talking about a 'Sony Playstation' or 'Sony PSOne' console.
And Playstation and PSOne are not 100% compatible, yes I know you were told they are, but it's a lie!!!!! ;)

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:51 am

Did they called it The Sony Playstation as well?

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:56 am

I call it a PSX purely because it pisses off pedants :D

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:02 am

resident paul wrote:Did they called it The Sony Playstation as well?
Er, that's what the origonal one is called, not 'as well'!?!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:44 am

Muteki wrote:Is this the right place to make the point about how soulless and ball-achingly tedious it is to just add a number to the name of the last console when the the next one comes out, because companies are poo-scared of 'losing the brand'? No? Oh, OK then...
Lets not forget that if they all did that, we'd never have Wii jokes.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:50 am

This is the only Wii joke I'll ever need:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/28

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:49 am

GarryG wrote: Well yes and no!
I have gotten confused when people start talking about PSX 1 or 2 games...
There isn't a PSX1 or PSX2, as I said I'm not sure where this mis-naming came from. A PSX is a different machine, and wasn't even widely released!
The PSX is two machines. One of them was very widely released.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:56 am

I call it the PS1 purely because if you mention a Playstation you usually get the "which one?" question afterwards.

PS1, PS2, PS3.

It's like talking about Star Wars. Which one? The first one - oh ok, episode IV.

A Sony Playstation can refer to any of the three consoles now, Star Wars can refer to any of the six movies (books, tv series, etc)...
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter