Over-rated games: suggestions for possible article

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RandySparks

Post by RandySparks » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:38 am

How about the Official PlayStation Magazine giving The Phantom Menace game 9/10?

Hmmm. Nothing to do with having four different Star Wars covers that month eh? :evil:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:18 am

Limbrooke wrote:Hopefully I can think of some more before this goes to press.
You'll have plenty of time—don't worry. This is just in the planning stages now, and I already have stuff lined up for the next couple of months for the mag anyway.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Kai

Post by Kai » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:56 am

Super Mario 64. Definitely a good platformer but also definitely inferior to the 2D predecessors.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:22 am

How Amstrad Action never noticed the bug in CPC Lemmings that meant that once you got past about level 10, the password system ceased to work. This (for me) rendered the game useless because you'd have to start from the begining each time making the game a tedious chore. Easily worth 20% off the marks IMO. CPC Attack also failed to notice but they were probably reviewing the Amiga version or something.

Your Sinclair and Street Fighter 2. I know they weren't that generous but the multiload renders it unplayable and there was no disk version. Did Mr Nash get over generous as it was the first new Speccy game for ages? It was only worth buying if you had a lot of time and facied seeing a nice technical demo. As a game it was pretty bad and the final nail were the waiting times. And although the graphics were nice it still felt half finished.

+ Anything ever reviewed by Amiga Action or Amstrad Computer User post 1989. Both also mags who were guilty of CRIMINAL DECEPTIONS of often not even bothering to review the game on the format the magazine covered.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:12 am

CraigGrannell wrote:The stuff like Mayhem in Monsterland I'm less interested in. In Zzap! it would have got a Gold Medal, had that award still been running, and so ramping up the score a few percent on the basis that no other C64 game is going to ever better it from that point on didn't really make me cry foul.
Thing is, it was an excellent game but there were major flaws that should've seen the score reduced like the lives counter bug.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:21 am

Zoids on the Speccy, in Crash. WTF?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:56 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Zoids on the Speccy, in Crash. WTF?
That is also on the list (along with the Zzap! review, which gave it something like 96%).

Everyone else: please be a little more specific. Saying 'game x was overrated at the time' isn't helpful for this—saying 'game x was overrated by the idiots at y magazine in issue z' is.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:45 am

Not keen on the idea to be honest.

Would be much more entertaining if it outed charlatan gamers and myths.

Nights Into Dreams for example has become like Hendrix at the Marquee Club, the game bombed, few bought it, yet so many people were there and bought it if the online community is to be believed that it would surely have been Sega's biggest game.

I guess if it doesnt go down that route may be worth talking to the guys from Official PSX and Saturn mag along with Edge circa 96 to get the low down on the real reason Tomb Raider scored so highly ;)
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:52 am

Mickey T wrote:the real reason Tomb Raider scored so highly ;)
Because its a great, innovative game that for the first time allowed full exploration of a large naturalesque 3D environment while evoking memories of Indiana Jones, all the while being playable despite the difficulties of the transition from 2D for gamers?

TR deserved to score highly. The marketing machine may have made Lara passe, but there's no denying the first game was something special.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:01 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mickey T wrote: Because its a great, innovative game that for the first time allowed full exploration of a large naturalesque 3D environment while evoking memories of Indiana Jones, all the while being playable despite the difficulties of the transition from 2D for gamers?

TR deserved to score highly. The marketing machine may have made Lara passe, but there's no denying the first game was something special.
Indeed it was special, but not as special as the reviews led us to believe, but Core managed to gain some extra review points for the game by taking reviewers to Egypt for an all expenses paid and rather lavish launch party, and then some".
Last edited by Mickey T on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:02 am

jimbo_too wrote: Generally regarded as a good game, but 100% for playability? Can you even give 100% to anything? Ever? Really?
Yup. I'd give Geometry Wars (XBLA) 100% for playability.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:27 am

Mickey T wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mickey T wrote: Because its a great, innovative game that for the first time allowed full exploration of a large naturalesque 3D environment while evoking memories of Indiana Jones, all the while being playable despite the difficulties of the transition from 2D for gamers?

Indeed it was special, but not as special as the reviews led us to believe, but Core managed to gain some extra review points for the game by taking reviewers to Egypt for an all expenses paid and rather lavish launch party, and then some".
Had it been a different game, that may have mattered. TR stood on its own legs and got fair reviews. Compared to ther games of the era, it stood well above them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:56 pm

Mickey T wrote:Indeed it was special, but not as special as the reviews led us to believe, but Core managed to gain some extra review points for the game by taking reviewers to Egypt for an all expenses paid and rather lavish launch party, and then some".
There you have something of a sideline for the article (or a whole new one in fact):

All the dirty secrets you never knew about games PR stunts!
Bangkok Knights anyone?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mickey T wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: Indeed it was special, but not as special as the reviews led us to believe, but Core managed to gain some extra review points for the game by taking reviewers to Egypt for an all expenses paid and rather lavish launch party, and then some".
Had it been a different game, that may have mattered. TR stood on its own legs and got fair reviews. Compared to ther games of the era, it stood well above them.
agreed - the original TR was an oustanding game, and an indication of how next-gen gaming was going the evolve gaming
(unless we're talking about the Saturn version that is!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:14 am

Dangerous Streets only got a high score in The One because at that point, The One had been relaunched by "Maverick Publishing", I believe, and they rated The whole magazine was put together by one or two people and oh how it showed.

How about Ultima 9? I remember reading so god damn much about it and then about a week after it launched I never heard a SINGLE word about it EVER again.

That said, the amount of crap I heard about the X-Box and Halo pre launch is staggering. I had people in game shops telling me that you could interact with EVERYTHING, like bending down and picking up grass. Obviously I knew it was BS, but still.....

Oh hang on, how about ANYTHING reviewed by ("Michael Jackson" -Ed)?