Over-rated games: suggestions for possible article

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Over-rated games: suggestions for possible article

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:50 pm

If you've looked through issue 43's feedback thread, you'll note that RevStu said it would have been interesting to track down the reviewers who raved over Rise of the Robots in print, and that got me thinking about doing an entire article on tracking down people who'd done 'dodgy' reviews and talking to them about why. Sure, the publisher will be behind some, but in other cases (for example, Zzap!64's Hawkeye Gold Medal), I know there are other reasons.

Anyway, the article isn't a 'definite', but it is a 'possible', and with that in mind, it'd be good to get some suggestions regarding over-rated games, along with the magazine and issue number. I have some ideas myself, but getting feedback from others is usually a good thing.

(Note that I'm not interested in axe-grinding or 'something got 95% when it should have only got 92%—this needs to really be about "what the f——?" ratings.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:39 am

Sounds great to me!

One I can think of is Dangerous Streets (Amiga 500, 1200 & CD32 versions) - The One said it was an absolutely superb game (can't remember which issue or the rating) but I found it to be complete tosh! It should of got like 10% or possibly something less.

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:01 am

This sounds like an excellent idea for an article.

Ah, Dangerous Streets. Wasn't this the game that Stuart Campbell (rightly) said "Could single handedly kill the CD32", or something to that affect?
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:41 am

There were a few games I recall being marked at either end of the scale between Zzap!64 and Commodore Format (Rugby: The World Cup was one). Never figured how they could be THAT divergent (for the record, I agree with Zzap!64, it was complete tosh).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:39 am

The very first issue of the official Sega Magazine carried a cover feature and a review of Sega's Eternal Champions which awarded it 95%. Now I myself have not played the game, but I was told at the time by people that had that it certainly didn't merit a score that high.

Many issues later a letter was published in the Q&A section that included a question about the high review mark and a comment that the game wasn't very good, which garnered a response along the lines of 'we know, the reviewer had had a bit too much Christmas cheer'.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:19 pm

The whole Driv3r debacle. :)

AfterburN003

Post by AfterburN003 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:46 pm

Halo 3 immediately springs to mind....what a pile of cack.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Fatworm on the Speccy - a Crash Smash? - I think not
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:21 pm

Frontier - Elite II

CU Amiga 97%
The One 96%
Amiga Force 96%
Amiga format 90%

Amiga Power 65% :D

(Actually it was 75% if running on an A1200 which I feel is probably about right.. it would have been near unplayable on a lesser machine)

For the record I liked it and spent probably far much more time on it than it deserved (it was definitely flawed and bug-riddled eg selling a ship without embarking a passenger gave you the money and let you keep the ship/weird time acceleration effects/the mining bug/random crashes etc etc )

http://www.jades.org/files/frontier.faq (bugs section for a huge list.. far too many to mention here..)

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:52 pm

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry for the overexcitement, but I have an awesome one - Micro Machines 2 on the Mega Drive got 100% for playability from Simon Kirrane in Gamesmaster (i've got the magazine somewhere in the loft, but the pages are probably stuck together with mildew by now). I'd guess it was 1993/1994 - sorry but I don't have the issue number, but it's a pretty famous incident. I know it's not the best magazine anyway, but in my defence I did use to read NMS and CVG as well.

Generally regarded as a good game, but 100% for playability? Can you even give 100% to anything? Ever? Really? Without resulting to flagrant and rampant abuse of the question mark? And smilies? :o
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:10 pm

Obviously the Great Giana Sisters for the Spectrum is the big swizz, given a Crash Smash even though it had never been finished!
Blue Thunder is regarded World Of Spectrum as the worst game ever to get a Crash Smash, and I would probably agree with that. Dear oh dear...
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:24 pm

Let's not forget the score of 100% Commodore Format gave to Mayhem in Monsterland :)

It's a great game, but not THAT great! I would have given it around 94% or something like that.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:55 pm

pottyboy wrote:Let's not forget the score of 100% Commodore Format gave to Mayhem in Monsterland :)

It's a great game, but not THAT great! I would have given it around 94% or something like that.
It's the usual arguent about using a score out of 100% though isnt it? What game is ever perfect - wouldn't tweaking the graphics or adding an extra level give it an extra 1% - if you've scored the game at 100% , then the answer would be 'no' - which of course would be incorrect

I think the best were those mags who scored out of 5 - seemingly far less controverisal to give a game 5/5 than 100% for some reason
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Spector wrote:Obviously the Great Giana Sisters for the Spectrum is the big swizz, given a Crash Smash even though it had never been finished!
Mm. That's on my list.

The stuff like Mayhem in Monsterland I'm less interested in. In Zzap! it would have got a Gold Medal, had that award still been running, and so ramping up the score a few percent on the basis that no other C64 game is going to ever better it from that point on didn't really make me cry foul.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Sonic CD comes to mind.
Sure it was good, but it's not the be all end all it was hyped to be. Personally, I found it to be a far more confusing game than it should ever have been.

Hopefully I can think of some more before this goes to press.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'