From the forum question for issue 44

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:16 pm

another one for me is the playable characters face on the bottom of the screen looks a right mess when you have taken a good thrashing form the monsters

:D
Press play on tape

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Back in the pre-Internet days, getting friends over with their PCs for a bit of a LAN session/frag fest. You always had to pity the fool with the 386, having to play in a tiny screen with massive border :)

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:52 pm

The eureka moment that the reason I was feeling sick every night was because FPS games give me severe motion sickness. Doom on the PS1 taught me that.

Wils

Post by Wils » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Attempting to play Doom 2 using only fists, whilst drunk and in a foul mood. This mode can be achieved by drinking far too many cans of Tennents Extra before playing or by simply typing IDTRAMP during the game.
Still the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

sscott

Favourite moment

Post by sscott » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

- Chainsawing stuff while saying "Arrrgghhh!" out loud.
- Panicking when the lights go out.
- Shotgun! The greatest FPS weapon ever!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Sabreman wrote:The eureka moment that the reason I was feeling sick every night was because FPS games give me severe motion sickness. Doom on the PS1 taught me that.
Same here! Which is why I stuck with DM
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Kai

Post by Kai » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:53 am

Favorite moment? Using the new double barreled shotgun for the first time in DOOM 2. Best! Weapon! Ever!

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:59 am

Playing it on my... (wait for it) Nokia 7650 and not losing any control or lack of quality, scaring people on the train firing up a chainsaw.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:22 am

Getting to beat the crap out of Commander Keen was brilliant. Four times in a row was just fricking fantastic. Take that you little sequel promising but never delivering bastard!!

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:08 pm

playing Doom for the first time in a darkened room with headphones and cacking my pants as an Imp leapt out at me from round a corner!

pipoldchap

Post by pipoldchap » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:02 am

Playing the Doom 2 when it first came out and then dicovering the Wolfenstein levels... A little pointless to get a great game and go backwards? I thought not...
I WISH I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner...

Dave K

Best doom moment

Post by Dave K » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:19 pm

The first time I got that shotgun. I loved the animation of him cocking it and I still think it is the best weapon in the game. Also, the first time I opened a door with a Pinky on the other side. (Scared the hell out of me)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 pm

psj3809 wrote:I know we all like different games but do some people SERIOUSLY think the games crap ?

Yeah all these years later its not obviously as good as other FPS we have but when it came out it was revolutionary, turned many many people to the PC for gaming.

I'm stunned some people think its crap. Just makes me think of everyone amazed by Star Wars when it came out and some bloke saying 'actually its rubbish' just to be controversial and 'different'

Even if you arent a huge fan of first person shooters you have to realise how great Doom was for its time. I'm no adventure fan but i realise when someone says how great Lords of Midnight was etc even though its not my cup of tea
To be fair I thought it was crap in 1994 running on 486 DX2 66. Lords of Midnight was crap too. It was just too repetitive. It's success was down to the fact it was shareware (or a least a bit of it was), PC games at the time were all pretty crap to be fair. So obviously looking good in a pile of crap is pretty easy. Especially if you're free. ;)

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 am

For me, the best moment was at college in 1998 when we were using the antique 486s for several deathmatches. One of the guys yelled "GAME ON!!!" in a high pitched squeal of excitement and then almost choked on his chewing gum. Oh how we laughed...

Wait, that had almost nothing to do with the game, did it?
Giving it 100%, 60% of the time.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:50 am

Playing deathmatch against a crazy nutter friend, and listening to the sound of him pumping through round after round on the shotgun as he hunted me down while screaming "I'M COMING FOR YOU! I'M COMING TO KILL YOU! RAAAGHRRR!!!"

I was watching the doorway of my room just as much as I was watching the screen, I can tell you.