Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 43

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:30 pm

mr.zzapback wrote:Hey calm down. No magazine is going to give away hi-res material to anyone who's asking for it. Just be a bit more creative. That font is excellent and really does the job. As long as you know what to do with it.

But anyway, I'm going to help you out. Here's the linkto what you're looking for. It's an .eps file so you need photoshop or something equally excellent to fiddle about with it. Since it's vectors you can blow it up to any size you want to. Succes and have fun.

Btw, for other 'designer-dudes', check out the resources I linked to, there's a lot of (vector) nintendo/sega/games logo stuff out there. I use them all the time.

Enjoy!
I'm calm, I just wanted some input that's all.
Thank you for the link, I had found that before I had installed PS again.
I do appreciate the input, although I'm curious why a magazine can't provide Hi-Res images that aren't copyrighted by said magazine. I'm just curious that's all. Either way, hopefully now I can get to work on this so thanks again.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Sorry about the lack of reply Limbrooke, but the mag is literally just going out the door at this very moment and I've been too busy to do anything else for the last two days.

As has already been pointed out, we can't give out the cover art, even if it is just for personal use.

Kindest regards,
Darran

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:20 pm

merman wrote: would people be interested in a series on good/bad gaming peripherals and the games they play? Light guns, steering wheels, that sort of thing?
Big yes from me.

I love lightguns, but also have dance mats, maraccas (how d'you spell that?), a wide range of sticks and pads, wheels, guitars, keyboards, turntables, bongos, trackballs... there's loads of stuff.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Yeah sounds good to me!

You could call it Peripheral Fandango.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:12 pm

djcarlos wrote:Yeah sounds good to me!

You could call it Peripheral Fandango.
I was thinking more along the lines of Plug In, Baby! :lol:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:15 pm

or the rather obvious Peripheral Vision

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:04 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Sorry about the lack of reply Limbrooke, but the mag is literally just going out the door at this very moment and I've been too busy to do anything else for the last two days.

As has already been pointed out, we can't give out the cover art, even if it is just for personal use.

Kindest regards,
Darran
It's no sweat, as that vector I was directed towards again proved invaluable.

Here's proof:
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:03 am

..and now onto the latest issue!

Radar - Good to read about Retro North, though Derbyshire isn't the North to me : )

Back to.. - Funny to see the release of all the machines that didn't set the world on fire! Wouldn't mind getting hold of an Einstein.

Revival - Couple of my faves covered including The Simpsons (arcade) and Ikari Warriors, though (arguably) the C64 version is better.

History of Donkey Kong - Excellent. Before I started reading, I thought it might be a tad boring but I read on and found it very interesting.

Retroinspection - One of those handhelds that should have done better. Nice read.

Making Of Rise of.. - It seems that Sean blagged his way into a job and the rest of the team didn't seem to know what they were doing. Fascinating.

Classic Game - Bombjack - Used to love playing this in the arcades, pity about the dreadful C64 version!

Company Profile - One of those companies that seems to have been around for ages but that keeps itself to itself, so it was good to hear what the team thought.

Whatever Happened to - Excellent! This is what RG is best at, revealing little treasures like this game.

Making of Colin McRae Rally - Timely tribute to the man.

Box Of Delights - Apart from the subbing error (Wizkid in 1982?), I found the humour slightly forced. Also the mag ratings seemed a bit of a random pick (mostly Speccy scores then one C64 rating). Good to see compilations covered in RG but maybe a slight rethink is needed.

Making of Donkey Kong Country - Perhaps this should have been put with the Donkey Kong History earlier in the mag? A good read.

Face off - Good addition though I suspect that most of the originals are better than the remakes.

Making of Diablo - Never played this but looks interesting.

Retro Shamer - Another nice idea. However the layout seems to need a rejiggle as the combination of text and screenshots seemed a bit...all over the place.

Developer Lookback - As I commented on the last issue, this is excellent and its good to see the SSI guys still doing what they are good at.

Making of Sensi Soccer - Good read. Not too long and nice and clear and informative.

Rated - Must get Joe Gunn!

Overall - About on the same level of quality as the last issue. Alway good to see the odd 'missing game' covered and it slots in fine amongst the more well-known titles. Keep up the good work!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:40 am

really enjoyed the Diablo piece, may have a look for Diablo 2 at some point in the future because of it.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

elmosexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:36 pm

i thought that quote from Amiga Power in the Rise of the Robots article (you know the one about robbing an old lady) was one of the funniest things i've read in a long time...me and my friends were literally rolling around on the floor for minutes...and then i had to redo my makeup coz it had all run from the tears of joy ^.^

i didn't feel the compilation article had forced humour, i thought it was really funny, especially in the cobra review, but then again, my mild autism makes it hard for me to tell natural human behaviour from forced stuff ^.^

still haven't finished reading the whole mag yet...but well done guys, it looks like another blinder ^.^

xanny x
+I..AM..ERROR+

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:19 pm

#43 has come and passed, for once not too much later than the rest:

Front: Excellent! Very nicely done.
80s: Not the best of 80s music this month... You need to do a feature on the Tatung - I've never heard about that ZX82 compatability. Atarisoft needs a feature on how their UK operations came about (including unrelased stuff of course) (you _do_ know that C= had a UK Amiga dev team that nobody ever knew about until many years later?). Micro Adventurer is a magazine I've totally missed (any scans on the net somewhere?).
90s: Is music not interesting any longer?
DK: I missed mention of the new hacked arcade levels you can buy. The Coleco version cheated on the level layout! Very nice.
Lynx: Nice! Could have mentioned a bit more about how pissed Jack was that the dev stations were Amiga based when he was peddling STs - did they ever get it ported to the ST?
ROTR: Good story.
Bullfrog: Not bad.
Horace: Nice find.
Colin: Not enough retro for this grump.
Diablo: There is a 50/50 chance I might like this game a lot. Should try it.
SSI: Nice. Did they only do a custom thing for the Apple, and not other machines?
RetroRated: Sorry, but what is "Presentation" and "Aesthetics"? Not entirely clear to me what you rate where.
Bargain Hunt: So where is the QL then? I'd thought you would get the Sinclairs right at the very least...

All in all a very good issue. Only thing is that some of the articles feels slightly as if they are "artificially" limited to X number of words to conform to some magazine standards, something I think GamesTM suffers a lot from.

Duddyroar

Re: ...

Post by Duddyroar » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:34 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:i thought that quote from Amiga Power in the Rise of the Robots article (you know the one about robbing an old lady) was one of the funniest things i've read in a long time...me and my friends were literally rolling around on the floor for minutes...and then i had to redo my makeup coz it had all run from the tears of joy ^.^
Glad it made you laugh...shame I can't claim credit! Hope you enjoyed the feature too.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:34 am

NorthWay wrote: Bargain Hunt: So where is the QL then? I'd thought you would get the Sinclairs right at the very least...
The clue is in the magazines title. "Retro GAMER". As in games. Which there are precious few for the QL. Removing homebrew, there's probably even less than there is for the Amstrad PCW (which at least has great versions of Head Over Heels and Batman).

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:16 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
NorthWay wrote: Bargain Hunt: So where is the QL then? I'd thought you would get the Sinclairs right at the very least...
The clue is in the magazines title. "Retro GAMER". As in games. Which there are precious few for the QL. Removing homebrew, there's probably even less than there is for the Amstrad PCW (which at least has great versions of Head Over Heels and Batman).
You mean precious few titles PERIOD, don't you?

I'll forgive it everything though for being the original platform for The Pawn.

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:13 am

I liked the issue, but there was something that bugged me - how can you list a huge amount of Lynx games and not mention Gauntlet :the third encounter".
And any chance someone could fix the listing for the Atari 8bits : " a series of old computers" (or similar , I dont have a mag here) , just looks like a placeholder entry that was never changed!

Maybe you could mention that they were huge in germany/poland , that they were a bit similar to the c64 graphics wise, how they had a lot of decent early arcade ports but were overshadowed by the " other three" machines in the Uk , and never really had a lot of later software developed for them ,that some slightly zealous fans spent a 100 pages on the forums arguing how they were the best thing ever...anything would be an improvement on the current description!