Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 43

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:46 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Most Future writers from back in the 90s are pretty easy to locate these days.
I guess it depends how far back such an article would go. I guess I'll set up another thread, to get some suggestions out there, and start doing some tracking down.
but couldn't trust myself not to be violently rude to the new kid... :twisted:
Well, as he couldn't even be bothered to cycle up here from Bournemouth, to hand-deliver my copy of Retro Gamer during the postal strike, he clearly deserves all the flak he gets.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:16 am

McBoosh wrote:My only real beef with this issue is the cover - thought it was a bit crap compared to previous issues.
Wha! I was admiring it as it caught my eye just this morning, I thought it was strikingly great. "That perfectly captures the essence of Donkey Kong", I said to myself.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:14 am

The cover is absolutely beautiful, one of the best ever.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:32 am

Agreed, the cover is something special. Still not had my copy yet but I've gazed lovingly at it in WH Smiths.

That pixel art is so iconic.

smila

Post by smila » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:43 am

hooray it finaly arrived :D
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:56 am

smila wrote:hooray it finaly arrived :D
Still waiting for mine... :evil:

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:02 pm

I wonder if any of the staff can help me on this one.
Is it possible someone could upload a Hi-Res image of the cover for 43? I'd like it for the 'Donkey Kong' logo specifically, so if anyone can get a large(high-quality) image of that, I'd appreciate it.

By the way, good issue, I was really surprised by the Diablo article, a definite thumbs up.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:27 pm

Limbrooke wrote:I wonder if any of the staff can help me on this one.
Is it possible someone could upload a Hi-Res image of the cover for 43? I'd like it for the 'Donkey Kong' logo specifically, so if anyone can get a large(high-quality) image of that, I'd appreciate it.

By the way, good issue, I was really surprised by the Diablo article, a definite thumbs up.
I haven't got an image, sorry, but here's a link to a free (for personal use) font:

http://www.dafont.com/donkey-kong-world.font
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:21 am

Just received my copy today and I must say WELL DONE for making this magazine even better, more attractive and fun to read.

I am very glad that the Retro Rated section is now a proper reviews section.

WELL DONE once again for making this magazine BETTER THAN EVER!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:44 pm

Nitters wrote:

I haven't got an image, sorry, but here's a link to a free (for personal use) font:

Sorry, that doesn't really help. Thanks though.

So nobody can get my a high-resolution image of the Donkey Kong logo from Load 43? Come'on staff! :!:

I just want a high-quality version of that, personal use no less.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:45 am

Limbrooke wrote:
You can borrow my laminator if you like. :D

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 am

Limbrooke wrote:
Nitters wrote:

Sorry, that doesn't really help. Thanks though.

So nobody can get my a high-resolution image of the Donkey Kong logo from Load 43? Come'on staff! :!:

Hey calm down. No magazine is going to give away hi-res material to anyone who's asking for it. Just be a bit more creative. That font is excellent and really does the job. As long as you know what to do with it.

But anyway, I'm going to help you out. Here's the linkto what you're looking for. It's an .eps file so you need photoshop or something equally excellent to fiddle about with it. Since it's vectors you can blow it up to any size you want to. Succes and have fun.

Btw, for other 'designer-dudes', check out the resources I linked to, there's a lot of (vector) nintendo/sega/games logo stuff out there. I use them all the time.

Enjoy!
*Creator of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64* www.zzapback.com*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:22 am

mr.zzapback wrote:Hey calm down. No magazine is going to give away hi-res material to anyone who's asking for it. Just be a bit more creative. That font is excellent and really does the job. As long as you know what to do with it.

But anyway, I'm going to help you out. Here's the linkto what you're looking for. It's an .eps file so you need photoshop or something equally excellent to fiddle about with it. Since it's vectors you can blow it up to any size you want to. Succes and have fun.

Btw, for other 'designer-dudes', check out the resources I linked to, there's a lot of (vector) nintendo/sega/games logo stuff out there. I use them all the time.

Enjoy!
That is a most excellent bit of linkage. May I suggest you cross post it to the T-Shirts thread:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6811&
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:45 am

Love the Rise of the Robots look back in the issue, didn't realise how many problems the game had when it was released, the Donkey Kong article was also really interesting (though the picture of him riding on a shark is rather wierd to say the least)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:30 pm

McBoosh wrote:Hey, really enjoyed the latest issue. Good selection of "the making ofs...". Great idea of 'retro shamer', but i must confess to enjoying Last Battle. Only a couple of gripes. 1, 'Box of delights' - great, fantastic, but a few pages longer would have been nice. 2, 'Back to the 80's/90's' - always enjoy these sections, but perhaps the 80's could look at a different years - why not a few late 80's years on occasions. My only real beef with this issue is the cover - thought it was a bit crap compared to previous issues. Any chance of a retroinspection on mega drive addons?
I'm guessing "Box of delights" was designed as a two-page feature to break up the longer articles, so I would imagine it will stay at that length.

Interesting thought on the add-ons... would people be interested in a series on good/bad gaming peripherals and the games they play? Light guns, steering wheels, that sort of thing?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube