dreamcast review

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

would you like a dreamcast review?

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes: 56

avant

Post by avant » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:22 am

CraigGrannell wrote: if you've something like a chipped Xbox, I wouldn't bother with emulation on Dreamcast anyway—it varies from 'reasonable' (Speccy) to 'hateful' (MAME, C64).
The first MAME emulator isn't so good, but track down MAME4ALL, much faster and works with newer game circa 1988 - 1991.

The NES, Genesis/Megadrive, and SNES emulators are excellent. And the beats of rage mods run very well. There was also a good Colecovision emulator.

Another tip is the Frotz emulator to play text adventures like Zork with the dreamcast keyboard.

And speaking of the keyboard it's worth getting two for two player Typing of the Dead.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 am

SNES emulation on DC is only good for RPGs and other slow games. For any action stuff its no good as it frame skips. DC just doesn't have the power for accurate SNES emulation.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

consoles.tv

Post by consoles.tv » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:45 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:SNES emulation on DC is only good for RPGs and other slow games. For any action stuff its no good as it frame skips. DC just doesn't have the power for accurate SNES emulation.
correct, I remember my frustration when Mario (super mario world) would move just a fews second later then I required him to, especially in the subterranean levels, where the floor is slippery.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:23 am

I’v never had any problems with any 8bit stuff.

The 16bit Megadrive emulator seems to work perfect to me.
I only really play RPG type stuff on the SNES emulator, but generally the speed seems ok for most things, although as has been said things that require precise timing may have problems.
avant wrote:Another tip is the Frotz emulator to play text adventures like Zork with the dreamcast keyboard.
And if you like adventure type games dont forget about the ScummVM emulator that lety you play the Lucasarts' SCUMM based point-and-klick games, or the MAGNETIC interpreter for the Magnetic Scrolls adventures
This lets you play all their classics like, The Pawn, Guild of Thieves, Jinxter, Corruption, Fish!, Myth, and Wonderland.

But by-and-far most emulation on the Dreamcast is defenetly not 'hateful'!

And, not exactly emulation, but there are also a huge amount of 'classic game' ports to the DC as well!

L i n k .

Post by L i n k . » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Never Read About One, Never Played One.
Yes Please.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:49 am

When you have a platform that has things a quirky as Seaman, RoomMania and Space Channel Five on it. Combined with games as innovative as Shenmue 1&2 and D2, that can also run pixel perfect ports of PC classics like Flashback, Another World and the original Doom, Quake, Heretic etc.
It’s also one of the best platforms for running relatively new JAP shooters, if you are a fan of the genre.
Not forgetting the loads of MAME and various Home computer games that are perfectly emulated.

And that’s without mentioning all the ‘normal’ very good quality commercial games.
There are much more commercial games available for the DC than most people seem to think.

Yes it should have a full review, letting people know what is available for all of the above.

And that’s without even mentioning any of the various multimedia utilities, and you can run UNIX and DOS like OP/Systems, with various graphical front ends.

There are quite a few good demos as well, if you like that sort of thing…

…And it’s all very cheep, or free. So what’s not to like?

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:45 am

I personally think the DC qualifies as a retro system now, perhaps not based on the hardware spec but because of the impressive selection of retro-style games and the extensive homebrew and emulation scene for the console.

In fact, even though it is from a later hardware generation, I would class the DC as being more retro than the N64, because there were very few games on the N64 that you would class as 'retro style' in my view - the majority of the best N64 games were polygon-filled 3D platformers and FPS games, whereas the classic games on the DC are 2D shooters and fighting games.

So if the N64 can get a retro inspection, so should the DC in my view! :D

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:26 am

But your still mising the whole point!!!

If the hardware isn't retro. It isn't retro!

Yes there are a lot of retro type games, especialy 2Dbeet-em-ups and shooters, that's a testiment to the vercitility of the system. It in no way makes it a retro system.

And remember there are also a lot more games available for the Dreamcast that are not of a 'retro' type.
By the way, there are loads of commercialy released first person shooters for the Dreamcast, and they can be used by the joypod or by using a keyboard and mouse! Those are not retro games, and they do not have retro gameplay!

Only the hardware getting older will ever make it retro, and it simply isn't old enouth ether in years or hardware generation yet :roll:

I just don't get why people call this a retro console when it so obviously isnt!!! :(

But, yes, I agree it should be covered in the magazine, because I think it has been a widely non-comercial system for long enough. not retro though ;)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:42 pm

So you'd presumably argue Doom isn't Retro?

If so, the Spectrum isn't retro, it's got a version of Doom.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Dudley wrote:So you'd presumably argue Doom isn't Retro?

??? I dont think he would, his main point is hardware dictates retro.....ness, not software. Doom is software.

I still vehemently see the DC as retro, never have I seen a single console cause so much division regarding status. DC really does rule!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:19 pm

cruachan wrote:

??? I dont think he would, his main point is hardware dictates retro.....ness, not software. Doom is software.

I still vehemently see the DC as retro, never have I seen a single console cause so much division regarding status. DC really does rule!
The way I read it is a hardware can't be retro if it has non-retro games on. His example was an FPS that used modern controls isn't retro and neither is the machine it's on.

Doom can use controls like that, Doom is on the Spectrum.

Picky of course but it seemed like such a weird position to take, that one non-retro style game makes the machine not-retro.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:03 am

The problem with defining the DC is that the machine is/was too good for it's time. Although it's 9 years old , when playing it , it simply doesn't feel that way
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

3fruits

hmm

Post by 3fruits » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:51 am

i think by the sounds of this thread DC is one of the greatgest developments ever in console history, it didnt try to change anything it just bettered alot of what others were doing while offering great games to new and old gamers at a good price. Sega's greatest release? makes you wonder what a DC 2 could have done!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:43 am

I would argue for common sense attitudes Duds! ;)

Obviously the spectrum is retro because of the hardware used and the amount of time that has passed since it's commercial demise.
Whether or not someone ported doom to it had no real baring on this!

DOOM is old, it was the first mass-market game of it's type and is generally regarded as being largely responsible for a lot of the current style of game-play. So it's now an old game, in years. It's arguable whether it's 'retro' in game play style. There have definitely been improvements, but the style is still essentially that of a more modern game type.

By the way, Doom was never actually commercially released for the DC. It was too old by the time the Dreamcast was made ;)
Most commercially released FPS type games on the DC are much more advanced than DOOM. I was simply making the point that, the DC has plenty of more modern style games as well!!
Dudley wrote:The way I read it is a hardware can't be retro if it has non-retro games on.
Basically, yes. If the games can only run on hardware that is currently not old enough to be called retro. The PS1 may now be considered borderline by some, I would argue that the DC hardware architecture just isn't old enough, yet! Unless you also say the PS2 and Xbos are retro systems!

Hardware is 'retro' because it has been supperceded to the point of being obsolete. Because of the length of time since it's original manufacture, hence the aging of the components used. Not because it has been made artificially obsolete commercially because of lack of support.

Those are two very different things!

The spectrum is based on 8bit technology, the DC is based on last generation technology, same generation as the PS2 and Xbox.
That is my argument, nothing to do with software whatsoever!!!

I gave the software examples, because witchfinder seemed to be saying that it should be considered 'retro' because it has some retro style games!!!
I was trying to point out that the games are entirely irrelevant, as the machine is still not using old enough hardware to be considered retro.