dreamcast review

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

would you like a dreamcast review?

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes: 56

3fruits

dreamcast review

Post by 3fruits » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:32 pm

has there ever been a dreamcast review in the mag? now the cd's are being stopped production wise its truely retro has some amazing games, extra's and does the whoel internet gaming thing better than anyone else and then theres the countless games that never got released and the rumoured dc 2 unit.

if there hasnt been one any plans? would love to have one

added a poll to see who agrees

Antiriad2097

Re: dreamcast review

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:37 am

3fruits wrote:its truely retro
No its not. Its a last gen machine, same as the PS2 which is still selling well. Its an 'old' machine, but its far from retro. It doe have some nice retro style games on it though.

See also umpteen discussion iin the past on 'what is retro'.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:52 am

I think its definately time for some DC loving in the mag.

3fruits

Post by 3fruits » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:29 am

Saying its not retro is confusing to me, because alot of system now longer supplied by the originating company have homebrew peeps creating games. n64 had retro review that was same generation as dreamcast.
last gen is really only aparent for gamecube,ps1,ps2,xbox. where as dreamcast sits with n64, and the back end of the life of the atari jaguar.

Time to embrace possibly the greatest console ever built the dreamcast :wink:

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:37 am

[quote="3fruits"]
last gen is really only aparent for gamecube,ps1,ps2,xbox. where as dreamcast sits with n64, and the back end of the life of the atari jaguar.
[quote]

i agree with this (apart from ps1 being last gen...and the jaguar was dead by '95/'96?)

the dreamcast straddled 2 generations and imo has a great catalogue of 2d games and old school style arcade-esque games which deserve to be covered as they are retro flavoured (such as crazy taxi in the last issue)

the fact that a lot of games are ps2 quality or better visually doesn't make a difference to me in calling it a retro console....the dc hasn't been manufactured for years now.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:07 am

3fruits wrote:Saying its not retro is confusing to me, ...
It isn't confusing atoll really.
The Dreamcast was released after the PS1 and before the PS2. But it uses the same level of technology as the PS2. The Dreamcast and the PS2 are practically identical in hardware specifications.
So there is no way you could say the Dreamcast is a retro console.
Retro isn't the same as old, or abandoned. Having said that there are still a dribble of commercial releases coming out for the Dreamcast!
3fruits wrote:last gen is really only aparent for gamecube,ps1,ps2,xbox. where as dreamcast sits with n64, and the back end of the life of the atari jaguar.
Well you've actually got a few different 'generations' of systems in there.
Hardware wise and assuming 'current gen' is PS3 and 360, last gen is Xbox, PS2, GameCube and Dreamcast.
The Jaguar, PS1 and Nintendo 64 are not the same generation console as the Dreamcast.
HEAVYface wrote:the dreamcast straddled 2 generations and imo has a great catalogue of 2d games and old school style arcade-esque games which deserve to be covered as they are retro flavoured (such as crazy taxi in the last issue)
All true, but it’s just a testament to it’s forward thinking technology that the DC was released a while before the PS2, but with the same level of technical oomph!
HEAVYface wrote:the fact that a lot of games are ps2 quality or better visually doesn't make a difference to me in calling it a retro console....
I don’t understand this, The PS2 isn’t retro, but the same game, or a more technically demanding game on the Dreamcast is!?!?!?
HEAVYface wrote:the dc hasn't been manufactured for years now.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the DC or anything else being ‘retro’.
You wouldn’t call a TV or a Car that hasn’t been manufactured for as long as the DC retro, would you?
The hardware used to build the DC is still far too new for it to be called a retro system.

As I said, retro doesn’t mean old, or discontinued!

Oh, and by the way, I voted YES ;)

merman

Post by merman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:58 am

SirClive wrote:I think its definately time for some DC loving in the mag.
The odd feature on the games perhaps (like Crazy Taxi), but too soon for a full-on Retro Inspection I feel...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:27 am

HEAVYface wrote:the dreamcast straddled 2 generations and imo has a great catalogue of 2d games and old school style arcade-esque games which deserve to be covered as they are retro flavoured (such as crazy taxi in the last issue)
All true, but it’s just a testament to it’s forward thinking technology that the DC was released a while before the PS2, but with the same level of technical oomph!
HEAVYface wrote:the fact that a lot of games are ps2 quality or better visually doesn't make a difference to me in calling it a retro console....
I don’t understand this, The PS2 isn’t retro, but the same game, or a more technically demanding game on the Dreamcast is!?!?!?
HEAVYface wrote:the dc hasn't been manufactured for years now.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the DC or anything else being ‘retro’.
You wouldn’t call a TV or a Car that hasn’t been manufactured for as long as the DC retro, would you?
The hardware used to build the DC is still far too new for it to be called a retro system.

As I said, retro doesn’t mean old, or discontinued!

[/quote]

older cars become obselete then retro i think....the problem with comparing the two is there are a limited amount of manufacturers of consoles that arrive in distinct generations (with all the technological seperation that comes with that) whereas with cars theres a billion (at the last count) manufacturers basically all making the same thing in a different shape, all the time.

technology in cars may have evolved slightly over the last 100(?) years but only now are we seeing distinct differences such as hybrid engines etc. (i suppose equivelent to snes/n64 evolution) so i don't think the two things, retro cars and retro consoles can be directly compared.

i would consider the xbox retro. it's basically a pentium 3 (old) computer in a different box, its not being made anymore and you cant buy it new in the shops (afaik) - this is dispite it having graphics on par with the wii. but because of its catalogue of games (fps driving etc all in 3d limited amount of sprite based games) i would'nt want to see it feature in retro gamer.

basically the dreamcast has loads of old school style games i'm interested in like sf3 gigawing etc. and was criminally overlooked by the general public in favour of ps2. this is why i think it should be covered.

the ps2 is readily available and has loads of new releases so in my eyes is not retro, even though it has been superceeded by ps3.

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:49 am

the Playstation 2 came out in Japan 6 months after the Dreamcast was released in Europe. The PS1 came out like 5 years earlyer.

anyway, I don't think of the Dreamcast as retro but I guess it has some retro style games on it, as do all consoles.

If the artical is interesting and well writen (which I think it would be) then I wouldnt mind seeing it in retrogamer.

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:51 am

Already asked for this:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

Its stupid debating what retro means becasue everyone has a slightly or vastly different conception. Theres even a dedicated thread to discuss the very essence of retro.

Anyway, can we please have a retro-inspection of a true retro classic console (imo)???

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:01 pm

I'd like to see a feature on the Dreamcast but failing that DC shooters would be great

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Darran has written an excellent retroview of Ikaruga on the GC in nRevolution this month.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:51 pm

knight_beat wrote:Darran has written an excellent retroview of Ikaruga on the GC in nRevolution this month.
I forgot I did that :)

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:23 pm

The Dreamcast is a fantastic console but it has no place in Retro Gamer.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:17 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:The Dreamcast is a fantastic console but it has no place in Retro Gamer YET.
Maybe in a few years' time...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube