Possible article if not worth reminicing old schoolgame shop

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:11 pm

SirClive wrote:If it hadn't stopped me using my souncard properly I would love it to. Does take a lot of getting used to though.
How has it stopped you using your soundcard properly? You know you have to turn on loads of hidden options that used to be visible by default on XP?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:49 pm

You can no longer record 'what you hear'. There are certain workarounds that are supposed to work, but so far nothing has worked for me.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:53 pm

Not sure what you mean. Like, record a WAV (or whatever) of exactly what's playing through your soundcard in the moment, effects'n'all? Umm, just set up an ASIO foldback...?

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:17 am

I know what Sir Clive means. With XP you can play music (or sound clips) through your sound card. You simply change the input/output sound options. Doing this stops all the background noise and doesn't even require a mic. It makes much better quality. Try doing this with Vista though! Not only is it not an option, but I can't find a workaround either.

Also, try to record a dvd using the Vista compatible Nero. Last I tried it still has a sound sync problem. Like I said, Vista is pretty. I do like Areo. And, to be fair, there are a lot plusses (unless you actually need the kernel debugger which is now completely unaccessable in Vista). The user account control is also a very nice security option, again, unless you want software to physically update your registry. I've turned it off because it was doing my head on though!

Beta testing was sort of fun because I found some new and wonderful ways to crash Vista completely. It was surprisingly easy, and sometimes I didn't even have to try ;). To a new user Vista would be a very nice O/S. To someone who, like me, tends to thrash their machine, it's not much fun and locks up my PC almost hourly. It does correct itself while I'm sitting there drumming my fingers, and I can't wait until devs are making games to actually take advantage of dx10, which is Vista exclusive, but as it is, I really do hate it. I am teasingly OTT with how much though. It's just fun to play with people who think it's wonderful :P

Oh and bebbs? Fighting talk eh? I could have a full on domestic with you, pull your hair and make you cry, but on the basis that I'm too sweet and lovely for that, I won't. Sometimes it's just too easy to win a fight and I sort of like a challenge :lol: So, with that all said and done, know your place and do as you're told. There's a good little boy.... *heart*
Having an argument is like racing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded!

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:34 am

The new Mac OS is nice too. Let's have a happy operating system party!

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:53 am

Stereo Mix - A Vista How to:

1. Go to Control Panel and switch to Classic View.
2. Go to the "Recording Tab"
3. Right click in the main area and select "Show disabled devices"
4. Click on Stereo Mix and click on Properties
5. In Properties, change Device Usage to "use this device (enable)"
6. Click Ok.
7. Back in recording tab, right click on Stereo Mix and select "Set as Default"

Works for me, but YMMV.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:14 am

That didn't work for me as stereo mix wasn't there even when I showed disabled.

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:29 am

Does nothing appear, or maybe it's called something else ("What-U-Hear" (Uggh!), Line-out Mix...)?

If nothing appears, it's probably a driver related issue - check the manufacturers website to see if there's an updated version. Some companies (notably Creative) have been very slack in producing Vista drivers, especially x64 drivers, so you might be out of luck.

Shaun.Bebbington

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:16 am

Andromeda wrote:Oh and bebbs? Fighting talk eh? I could have a full on domestic with you, pull your hair and make you cry, but on the basis that I'm too sweet and lovely for that, I won't. Sometimes it's just too easy to win a fight and I sort of like a challenge :lol: So, with that all said and done, know your place and do as you're told. There's a good little boy.... *heart*
Okay... I'll try to be good. Well, not really ;-)

Regards,

Shaun.
"It is far easier to apologise afterwards than to obtain permission." - Felix Dennis

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:14 am

Look Mr Bebbington, you know full well that I have the ultimate weapon agains you if you're naughty! So, don't even try it. My weapon? Well, I'll just have to tell your mother! Who's side do you think she'll take? Mine of course! So, bow down to me, say sorry and be good! Nuff said :P
Having an argument is like racing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded!

Shaun.Bebbington

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:58 am

Andromeda wrote:Look Mr Bebbington, you know full well that I have the ultimate weapon agains you if you're naughty! So, don't even try it. My weapon? Well, I'll just have to tell your mother! Who's side do you think she'll take? Mine of course! So, bow down to me, say sorry and be good! Nuff said :P
That doesn't excuse you from not following your own advice - ie: NOT arguing with an idiot. You see, I've already brought you down to my level... so there.

Regards,

Shaun.
"It is far easier to apologise afterwards than to obtain permission." - Felix Dennis

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Is there something we should know here?

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:08 am

She fancies him.

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:45 am

Well he is sort of cute! See for yourself....

Maybe it's just a girl thing :P

I think he might kill me when he sees this picture. Lol

Shaun.Bebbington

Post by Shaun.Bebbington » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:59 am

Andro... go to my room and think about what you have done. I will sort you out later...!

Regards,

Shaun.