Possible article if not worth reminicing old schoolgame shop

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

3fruits

Possible article if not worth reminicing old schoolgame shop

Post by 3fruits » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:53 am

Hey guys,

anyone remember in the 80's and early 90's going into computer game shops and seeing cassette games and newly released snes and megadrive games stacked from floor to ceiling. it was crazy them days a shop dedicated to them games. now days game shops are boring. i remember the excitement seeing a cassette you never new was out for amstrad 464 or spectrum and checking the back out from graphics and front cover, it didnt matter if the gameplay was crap cus most games back then were all hidden gems.

i remember i lived in crewe, cheshire, england and they had a games shop near the old cinema over a bridge that place was incredible as i described above, i went back there few months ago after 9 years away and checked where this place was and all the old posters were still there in this dusty old and empty shop. i couldnt believe it....... anyone agree or have memories? or pics of old school shops

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:08 am

we had a few independents near us (warrington/ wigan area of england). and i do really miss them :cry:

I went in one down south a few weeks ago that looked amazing from the outside, but inside half the shelves were empty and most of the retro stock was way overpriced (Mega Drive and Master System games were all around the £10 - £20 mark). I chatted with the store owner and he said most people just get there games off the internet now or from ASDA (I know I do). My mate remembers the shop being the best game shop in the area, they used to get all the import stuff in back in the early 90's. it nearly brought a tear to his eye seeing it in it's current state. I guess it's just pretty much impossible to compete with the supermarkets and chain stores.

I wouldnt say new shops were boring though, If I find a Gamestation with a good retro section I can be in there a wile looking through things 8)

As for the comments about seeing games you didnt know exsists, Maybe the internet has put a stop to that happening now really.

I'd love to own a retro games store, I just cant see it working financially these days (i'm no expert though)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:17 am

rupert wrote:I'd love to own a retro games store, I just cant see it working financially these days (i'm no expert though)
A CEX franchise seems to be the way to go thesedays.

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:30 am

SirClive wrote:
rupert wrote:I'd love to own a retro games store, I just cant see it working financially these days (i'm no expert though)
interesting, just had a look at the site, is that not just like another cash convertors/ generator though? not sure Ive seen any CEX branches in my area.

What I ment is it would be great to have an old school style independent games shop.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:46 am

It is basically a 2nd hand entertainment shop. Sells DVDs/games/music cds/phones/mp3 players/consoles etc.
There is no reason why one couldn't be like the gaming shops of old. There is a big sign up in the Leeds one that says 'we will demo anything' (and they will). The only thing that is a pain is all the chavs selling all kinds of crap to buy their next score.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:39 pm

rupert wrote:
SirClive wrote:
interesting, just had a look at the site, is that not just like another cash convertors/ generator though? not sure Ive seen any CEX branches in my area.

What I ment is it would be great to have an old school style independent games shop.
Technically yes, but more targeted.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:11 pm

I live near a town with a large port and in the early 90s there was a portacabin in a very unaccessible area that sold imported megadrive games....

Gynoug, Side Pocket, Sonic 2 etc were all purchased from there (cash only) and you could haggle the price with the owner....

It was very dodgy (they sold other `stuff`)

Only one person was allowed in at a time and it was invitation only.

I loved it more than any other stockist I have ever been too.

The illegality mixed with the joy of getting new imported Jap games gave me a buzz which has very rarely been matched.

They lasted 4 months then the owner mysteriously moved to Spain

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:49 am

I remember a shop up in Liverpool called 'Bits 'n Bytes'. I'm sure I've still got my old membership card somewhere.

*sigh* :(

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:10 am

What about SOFTCENTRE CWMBRAN? ;)

Madge

Post by Madge » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:20 pm

Remember Solid Gold? I think they had a few branches dotted around, and they used to take out loads of full-page ads in the multiformat mags. There was one in an industrial estate a few minutes from my house, where my beloved MD came from - a Jap import before I even knew that was a good thing!
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:43 pm

MikeHaggar wrote:What about SOFTCENTRE CWMBRAN? ;)
Those guys were crazy.

RetroBob

Re: Possible article if not worth reminicing old schoolgame

Post by RetroBob » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:04 pm

3fruits wrote:Hey guys,

anyone remember in the 80's and early 90's going into computer game shops and seeing cassette games and newly released snes and megadrive games stacked from floor to ceiling. it was crazy them days a shop dedicated to them games. now days game shops are boring. i remember the excitement seeing a cassette you never new was out for amstrad 464 or spectrum and checking the back out from graphics and front cover, it didnt matter if the gameplay was crap cus most games back then were all hidden gems.

i remember i lived in crewe, cheshire, england and they had a games shop near the old cinema over a bridge that place was incredible as i described above, i went back there few months ago after 9 years away and checked where this place was and all the old posters were still there in this dusty old and empty shop. i couldnt believe it....... anyone agree or have memories? or pics of old school shops
You're referring to High Street Micro I think. Run by a moody, bitter chap (in my opinion!) called Tony Cank. My bro and I stumbled on the place about 4 years ago and were amazed... he still had NEW retro stuff on the shelves, and BUCKETLOADS of unsold stock in the store rooms.

We bought a load of stuff over a few weeks, although it was a little pricey given the eBay trade. We haggled a fair bit but apparantly "did not appreciate that he had lost a lot of money on this stuff". Hell, it ain't my fault. Apparntly he had a series of shops in the area which gradually amalgamated into one. Shaun Bebbington knows of this guy as well and was a patron of HSM back in the day. Eventually all the retro stuff was boxed up and put into his garage and he just sold stuff from the website (highstreetmicro.co.uk which now appears to be dead), so I dont know of it's current state.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

L i n k .

Post by L i n k . » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:10 pm

The Gamestation In Bedford Has Loads Of Megadrive Games In.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Computer Cavern in Reading was the best !

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:59 pm

psj3809 wrote:Computer Cavern in Reading was the best !
The best was Software Plus in Aldershot. Great coverage of the 8 bits to the bitter end and also 16 bits.

Worst: A local shop known as "Hitler Games" as the man who ran it looked like Hitler. Only lasted a year and had a very poor selection of games.