Suggestions for the mag

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Suggestions for the mag

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 pm

I've had an idea - why not devote a page each month to a different Retrobate, or perhaps someone like Stu Campbell , and let them air their views on any topic they like , whether it be to do with modern or retro gaming .

It would be interesting to get to know these guys a bit more intimately , far more so than writing a pre-determined article
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Sounds good but Retro Gmaer unplugged would upset so many people the mag wouldnt last long.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:30 pm

Mickey T wrote:Sounds good but Retro Gmaer unplugged would upset so many people the mag wouldnt last long.
I'm only suggesting 1 page per issue , and it shouldn't take the author too long to complete. It shouldn't take much research , after all , it may just be a rant about something getting on their tits at that moment in time , or eulogising about something they feel has been ignored or overlooked in the mag
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:37 pm

That was the point I was alluding to:).

To be fair it sounds like a great idea, a more personable Grumpy Old Gamer
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

knight_beat

Re: Suggestions for the mag

Post by knight_beat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:57 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I've had an idea - why not devote a page each month to a different Retrobate, or perhaps someone like Stu Campbell , and let them air their views on any topic they like , whether it be to do with modern or retro gaming .
I suggest Stu uses the following headings as a guide for his first and second rant:

Things that me and Future Publishing have argued about.
10 Reasons that the MAME developers are a bunch of 'tanky tankers'

(off topic - I also have some forum problems. I've been returned to the main forum page when I click on the quote button).

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:40 pm

I suspect the comments creeping in here and there (such as in the news) are something of a dry run for more of this kind of thing. The one I'd really like to see—and something I've mentioned to Darran—is a single-page Desert Island Disks for contributors. This wouldn't clash with the main feature, and it'd be a good way to see what games make some of the Retro Gamer writers tick.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:58 am

No offence intended, but I'm really not interested in what makes the writers or forum members tick. A page given over to getting to know the writers would be better spent if given over to getting to know some games or industry legends.

There were loads of typing errors in this issue, by the way. It's a bit distracting to be honest. I'm guessing that the page layouts aren't proofread before being signed off.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:16 pm

seanmcmanus wrote:No offence intended, but I'm really not interested in what makes the writers or forum members tick. A page given over to getting to know the writers would be better spent if given over to getting to know some games or industry legends.
Completely agree with that.

thr0b

Post by thr0b » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:29 pm

A good opinion piece is always a good read though; as long as it is well written and thought out.

Archer's page was essentially an opinion piece at times, and that was usually a decent read.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:31 pm

I was thinking along the lines of Angry Sow from Digitiser - that was ALWAYS worth a read
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:46 am

Where the hell did archer macleans page actually go???? It was always a cracking read...
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:55 am

Archer's been too busy to write for the mag lately. However, my understanding is that he may well be back soon.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:07 pm

seanmcmanus wrote:There were loads of typing errors in this issue, by the way. It's a bit distracting to be honest.
Did you know that it's actually been scientifically proved that it isn't!? :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:01 pm

GarryG wrote:
seanmcmanus wrote:There were loads of typing errors in this issue, by the way. It's a bit distracting to be honest.
Did you know that it's actually been scientifically proved that it isn't!? :wink:
If it was that distracting , he wouldn't have noticed them in the first place - QED 8)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:14 pm

GarryG wrote:Did you know that it's actually been scientifically proved that it isn't!? :wink:
As long as the first and last letter are correct and the word is the right length the human brain usually fills in the rest. I mean, look at the words used in text messages.