Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 42

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:02 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
TheDude18 wrote:Good issue bar the re-cycled shoot em up feature. Its a good read. Shame I read it in games tm a few issues back.
yeah , it's a bit disappointing . You would have thought there would be a few 'emergency' features held back for such eventualities , rather than reprinting a feature from another mag , especially a mag that would be read by the same people
Who is going to write/pay for these emergency features then?
Sadly retro gamer doesn't have the budget to have features written up for just in case we have to use them...

I see your point, and I was loathe to use it (even though i'm very proud of it) but I didn't really have a chioce.
Well I would certainly have missed it otherwise as there's only one mag I get my retro fix from, although it did have the look of a GamesTM piece about it in the layout, so don't feel too bad about it.
Splink!

merman

Post by merman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:28 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
LeeT wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: Can't understand why people want a 'Tetris' cover - surely it would be the dullest cover ever?
Well it would depend upon the design.. :?
I'd like to see Oli Frey have a go at it - probably turn the blocks into spaceships or something! But in all honesty I couldn't think of any way in which 4-piece blocks could be anything other than dull.

I guess if it was possible , then the adverts or box cover art would have used it back in the day - but they didn't
Ironically, I was only thinking yesterday, "Wouldn't it have been cool if the cover had been Tetris blocks attacking in waves like Space Invaders?"

A very nice mix of articles. One suggestion though - a proper logo for the Back to the Nineties feature?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:05 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:tbh I would have thought that some of the writers on the mag would have unpublished pieces which they hadn't got round to submitting for various reasons
Rates for freelance have remained static for years now, and so I very much doubt any of Retro Gamer's writers have a pile of yet-to-be-submitted articles. I have a few bits and bobs lying around at all times, but those amount to nothing more than interview transcriptions, not full articles—I only write those when I'm commissioned.
or that the mag would have unused , or 'reserve' features to be used in this kind of situation
Magazines have a budget for each month that cannot be exceeded. Therefore, there's no money for 'spare' or 'reserve' features.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Get a work experience in, on condition that they sign a "I agree that all work I do while here is completely unpaid" waiver. :twisted:

Drives the NUJ up the wall, but it's fairly common practice. Arrange a few interviews, pre-warn the forum and invite questions, and BAM! All they have to do is switch a tape recorder on and read a printout from the forum. Pages and pages of free goodness for precisely no pounds. And all good experience for the workie too.

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:23 am

Congrats to Stuart on his Crazy Taxi piece.. a thoroughly entertaining read ;)

Hey, cheers pal - glad you enjoyed it :)

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:36 am

Actually Stu I was just about to type....I really like your writing style, nice one.

Also, I'm not a shoot em up fan, but I love the little spaceships on the first page of the article.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:56 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: yeah , it's a bit disappointing . You would have thought there would be a few 'emergency' features held back for such eventualities , rather than reprinting a feature from another mag , especially a mag that would be read by the same people
Sadly retro gamer doesn't have the budget to have features written up for just in case we have to use them...

I see your point, and I was loathe to use it (even though i'm very proud of it) but I didn't really have a chioce.
fair enough - an in-depth (actually very entertaining) article like the one used is better than a last-minute cobbled-together feature. But tbh I would have thought that some of the writers on the mag would have unpublished pieces which they hadn't got round to submitting for various reasons , or that the mag would have unused , or 'reserve' features to be used in this kind of situation. I know very little (nothing?) about publishing , so maybe I'm being naive in thinking this
Sorry mate but like Craig says, it's just not possible. At least from my point of view and experience, anyway.

Considering the amount of work that goes into creating some of these features I highly doubt that anyone has any 'spares' lying around.

As Craig says, you usually only start work on something when it's been commissioned - to do otherwise could potentially be a complete waste of time if you can't find anyone who wants to publish it - that's hours of research, writing and editing wasted.

I don't buy GamesTM every month and I imagine that many other RG readers don't either so it's not an issue for me if features are shared.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:23 am

I subscribe to RG and GamesTM - but didnt read the article in Gamest TM!!! SO it was still fresh when I read it last night in RG :lol:

Pixel Pete

Post by Pixel Pete » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Ill have to wait till Saturday and go to Ealing to buy it,my locals don't stock RG.

On side note,the nobheads at WHSmith happily sell covermount DVD-less
edtions of various Pc magazines without checking first that some brat has openedthe bag and taken out the DVD.

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:33 pm

Got my mitts on a copy today.

A few niggly errors have been put into my BBC article since it left my hands, but most glaring is in the section about Planetoid (previously sold as Defender). Someone has changed the bit I put in about the time that Acornsoft "succumbed to pressure from Williams" to "succumbed to pressure from Wilson". So it reads as if Acornsoft got threatened with legal action by one of their parent company's engineers, Roger Wilson. :lol:

Also, some of the pictures should have been credited. I had email problems around the time I submitted everything, and it looks like the mail I sent Darran containing these went amiss. These would have been...

"BBC Master - Steve O'Leary
BBC B+ 128 - Chris Whytehead @ http://acorn.chriswhy.co.uk
Special thanks to the Daves at www.stairwaytohell.co.uk and www.acornelectron.co.uk"

Still making my way through the rest of the mag, but am particularly enjoying the Tetris feature at the minute. Looking forward to having a gander at the Micro Machines piece too.

Good call on the MS version of California Games incidentally. Love that game to bits. As a sidenote, I have to say I much prefer the multi-screenshot illustration that it and Cybernator have been given in their Retrorevival pieces compared to the blown up single screenshot that accompanies Raid Over Moscow.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:57 pm

ivortheinjun wrote:Good call on the MS version of California Games incidentally.
Kinda surprised the C64 original wasn't used, myself, but the SMS one does look good (and play well).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

thr0b

Post by thr0b » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:33 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: yeah , it's a bit disappointing . You would have thought there would be a few 'emergency' features held back for such eventualities , rather than reprinting a feature from another mag , especially a mag that would be read by the same people

As long as it's not too often, I don't really see a problem with the odd recycled feature; I suspect that at least the same amount of readers do not read GamesTM as do. I certainly don't.

Anyway, Big Comic Fortnightly made a career from recycling.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:57 am

Not had much chance to read through yet but I enjoyed the CPS2 article. TBH, I would have loved a real indepth article about CPS1, CPS2 and CPS3, but I guess that's probably a bit too geeky. Still I think it could have been a bit longer.

Wasn't so keen on the Space Invaders article. Never have been a big fan of Space Invaders, but then I'm sure there are loads if fans of it out there.

The BBC article was interesting. I only really got to play with the BBC at school. I did buy a game for it which I took into school (I think it was Hobgoblin).

Thats about all I've read so far.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:24 am

I'd love to do a dedicated CPS-1 piece in a future issue.. it's a classic system ;)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: the recycled article:

I don't have a problem with this happening, but using older articles would eb better. The Shooters article is only a couple of months old, and came off as a cheap space filler.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb