***Acorn Archimedes/RISC OS coverage***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:33 am

psj3809 wrote:Great point ! Lets have only the Archimedes, Oric and Dragon in every issue and hardly feature the Mega Drive/SNES and NES !
A few pages set aside for the more "obscure" machines each month would keep everyone happy though, no? I'm talking 2 or 3 pages tucked away at the back of the mag near those dodgy ads, so you'd only have one extra leaf to skip :)

How about that? "Those who also ran..."
psj3809 wrote:What next ? Print lots of basic listings for people to input ? :cry:
Aww, now you're talking! On bright yellow paper, with little pictures of cartoon space invaders scattered around the edges!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:11 am

psj3809 wrote:
will2097 wrote:Yeah - lets do the Mega Drive, SNES and NES again!!!1111!!! :cry:
Great point ! Lets have only the Archimedes, Oric and Dragon in every issue and hardly feature the Mega Drive/SNES and NES !

I'm sure it'll sell tons of issues !

Retro gaming has been huge the last 5 or so years because of emulators for the popular machines, not because of some kid thinking I'll download an Archimedes emulator.

What next ? Print lots of basic listings for people to input ? :cry:

Wouldn't hurt to have some BASIC included. Most of my ownership of the early 8 and 16bit machines was spent looking at code rather than playing games - which until the joys of a tape-to-tape deck were discovered were the primary source of joy. And even then I remember having more fun hacking around with STOS, PASCAL and Blitz BASIC than a lot of the so called 'classic' games of the time.

Also - I didn't say let's not do the MD, SNES and NES despite the huge joy that would bring me, I just thought it would be nice to cater for the none-Toy owners ;)

Plenty of people had Archimedes, in fact I'd go as far to say that at the time I knew more people with STs, Amigas and Archimedes than I did SNES or NES owners.

Anyway - how many times can anyone play Mario/Sonic before people actually realise they are pretty dull? ;)

E-Type

Post by E-Type » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Xesh wrote:If I were to exclude all the computers that I didn't think were popular when they were out then there'd be no Speccy, C64 or Atari coverage. Where I was more people had Acorns than any other computer. One of my mates had a Speccy, one had a Dragon 32, one had a CPC464 and none had either a C64 or Atari.

IMO RG should aim to cover as many of the older systems as it can. Not necessarily in the same mag though! :D
Perhaps in your group of friends the Speccy/C64 wasnt popular but either way you have to admit its one of the most popular machines in the UK !

I dont want strange unknown machines featured in Retro Gamer, RG has to sell more copies, having a front cover of some unknown game of the Oric or Archimedes on the front will doom Retro Gamer.

I had friends with a wide variety of machines but either way Speccy/C64/Amstrad were the big three. The magazines called Retro Gamer, i want good retro games on systems. IF the Archimedes did have many classic games than non-Archimedes owners would be downloading emulators and talking non stop about the games. Which theyre not.

Personally if RG started featuring less well known computers and consoles i would stop buying it for sure. I dont want pure Speccy/Amstrad/C64 every issue but for me i want to read about the best games around in the 80's or 90's.

You say "if i were to exclude all the computers that i didnt think were popular...." you honestly think the Speccy/C64 werent popular back then ? Because your group of friends didnt have one then surely the rest of the UK was the same !??!?!

My friend had an Oric, another had a Dragon, they both knew the big machines were the Speccy/C64 etc. They werent blinded by their small group !
Excluding minorities is an offensive thing to do let alone advocate.

Please tone it down - people are just asking for recognition of a relatively minor platform for games and even then it did have a valid commercial market and sound, often very impressive games.

yesman

Post by yesman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:28 pm

psj3809 wrote: IF the Archimedes did have many classic games than non-Archimedes owners would be downloading emulators and talking non stop about the games.
That's misleading. It does not necessarily follow that a below-the-radar niche machine's better titles would be known about amongst the 'mainstream' retro casual gamesplayers.
psj3809 wrote: Personally if RG started featuring less well known computers and consoles i would stop buying it for sure.
That's very narrowminded of you.

I think most people realise that RG should and does continue to primarily focus on the mainstream retro systems (example: Spectrum/ SNES/ MSDOS-PC) and their classic games. Equally, I would hope that the occasional foray into paths less travelled would be welcome too.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:49 am

psj3809 wrote:You say "if i were to exclude all the computers that i didnt think were popular...." you honestly think the Speccy/C64 werent popular back then ? Because your group of friends didnt have one then surely the rest of the UK was the same !??!?!
I didn't say that they weren't popular back then. I meant that, according to my point of view they weren't. I can only go on my experiences. If you had asked me in the late '80s what the most popular machine was I would have said the Beeb purely because it WAS the most popular IN MY AREA. I know now, mainly from reading RG, that this wasn't the case nationally.
psj3809 wrote:I dont want strange unknown machines featured in Retro Gamer, RG has to sell more copies, having a front cover of some unknown game of the Oric or Archimedes on the front will doom Retro Gamer.
I think that's going a bit far! I'm not asking for the coverage of "strange unknown machines" exclusively, just every now and then. Besides, the Archimedes isn't a strange machine to me whereas the C64 and Speccy are. By that I mean that I don't know anything about them other than they had lots of games. If you put me in front of one then I probably wouldn't be able to even load a game on them!

I, personally, buy RG just so that I can find out about systems I either couldn't afford or didn't even know about (consoles like the Vectrex for example). If RG limited its coverage just to well known or popular machines then it would be a shame imo. As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life! :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:46 am

Well we all have different views. The odd feature on a slightly 'obscure' machine would be alright, i've tried games and emulators on a wide variety of machines i never had as a kid and found many games i love. But an Archimedes emulator just isnt popular, its not like people flood this forum with 'just found this great game on the Archimedes, you should download an emulator and try it'.

I had a Speccy as a kid and a megadrive and that was it, but i've enjoyed trying games on so many other systems but Archimedes ? Have no intention of downloading an emulator for that (if there is one) as theres no games i've heard about from the last 20 years that makes me think 'wow really wanna try that'.

Its called Retro Gamer, the Vectrex had some great games and was very unique, the Archimedes was never known as a games machine. Most retro fans (even very knowledgeable ones) wouldnt be able to name 5 Archimedes games.

I love the Sinclair QL but dont expect it to be machine of the month in Retro Gamer !

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:35 am

psj3809 wrote:Most retro fans (even very knowledgeable ones) wouldnt be able to name 5 Archimedes games.
I'm not sure if that's true, but if so, that's even more of a case for an article then... to educate and inform the masses! :) If not an article, then at least a regular small box-out or two. All hail the Arch!

ps. blowpipe, talisman, twinworld, fireball II, alerion - there, I did it, without even mentioning repton or elite!! :P

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:38 am

Let me have a try...

Lemmings
Elite

er, nope I give up. And those first 2 are guesses.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:48 am

Hey, it's OK, don't feel too down about it. Not everyone can rock as hard as me :D

RandySparks

Post by RandySparks » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:49 am

The Archie port of Last Ninja looks loads better than the 8/16-bit versions (go to http://lastninja.lemon64.com/dl_other2.htm and scroll down).

Anyone played it?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:31 am

Zarch was the first game I saw running on an Archimedes, very impressive it was as well.
Splink!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:31 pm

RandySparks wrote:The Archie port of Last Ninja looks loads better than the 8/16-bit versions (go to http://lastninja.lemon64.com/dl_other2.htm and scroll down).

Anyone played it?
I am a lucky owner of the Archie port of Last Ninja - it's a superb conversion.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:15 pm

felgekarp wrote:Zarch was the first game I saw running on an Archimedes, very impressive it was as well.
Zarch was one of the first games on the Archie (if not the first).

Some more games: Big Bang, Detrius, Aztecs, Dragon Ball and Enter the Realm. :)

E-Type

Post by E-Type » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:18 am

SirClive wrote:Let me have a try...

Lemmings
Elite

er, nope I give up. And those first 2 are guesses.
Those are correct.

E-Type

Post by E-Type » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:26 am

Retrogamer - how about a review of U.I.M?

It was one of the biggest and most under-rated games ever released for the BBC and also the Archimedes. Basically, it is Elite with submarines exploring an equally vast ocean system of ports in the future and with a resurfacing/re-entry technique instead of hyperspace/docking.

The game came out in 1988 for the BBC and was the result of 4 years of work - 4 years after Elite - and soon after for the Archimedes. The main differences are there are more missions and a definite goal rather than being open-ended like Elite.

The Micro User IIRC gave it 10/10 for all except sound which got 9/10.