***Acorn Archimedes/RISC OS coverage***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
E-Type
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:29 am

***Acorn Archimedes/RISC OS coverage***

Post by E-Type » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:43 am

Great to see an Archimedes in the price listings section in issue 41 but what about the games!? The feature on the Bitmap brothers didn't even mention the Archimedes versions that had been made for monst of the games shown in the article did it?

There are hundreds out there including those that have been subsequently ported to other platforms or are even considered definitive:

Starfighter 3000

ArcElite

So many memories from games like Karma, the freeware games released by Tom Cooper (one of which is now being ported to the PocketPC see Drobe.co.uk).


Magnetic scrolls adventures were some of the finest adventures and were available on the Arc. The 4th Dimension released dozens of very high quality games.

More recently there have been ports of Quake, Descent 1 and 2 and Quake 2. Even Elite: the new Kind was ported but withdrawn. The version of Doom/Doom2 for Acorn/RISC OS is supposed to be the most advanced on any platform!

So many memories and so little mention.

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Post by Sureshot » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:01 am

We had some awareness-raising about the Archie a little while back: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=824

User avatar
E-Type
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:29 am

Post by E-Type » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Thanks Sureshot but what do you think about the games I mentioned? And what games should be mentioned in future issues? Don't you think the fact there were/are Acorn versions should be acknowledged more?

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Post by Sureshot » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:37 pm

Perhaps, but not regular coverage. Even the PC doesn't get much coverage in RG.

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6417
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Post by merman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:21 pm

E-Type wrote:Thanks Sureshot but what do you think about the games I mentioned? And what games should be mentioned in future issues? Don't you think the fact there were/are Acorn versions should be acknowledged more?
E-Type gets a mention in issue 42's BBC feature...

The Archimedes was covered way back in an early issue as part of the Acorn feature.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809
Posts: 18817
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:54 am

I love retro machines/consoles but i dont want to see much about the Archimedes. Was never really known as a retro gaming machine then and now. Archimedes emulators arent exactly that popular and you dont have many people downloading torrents of games or websites etc.

Obviously if you had one as a kid you would be interested but most didnt. Theres many many more computers/consoles i want to use before even trying an Archimedes emulator (if there is one)

Lets not turn the magazine into some non-mainstream computer/console mag ! Big vote for no

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:34 am

Risc based machines are all taboo - did you not get the memo?

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:41 am

psj3809 wrote:I love retro machines/consoles but i dont want to see much about the Archimedes. Was never really known as a retro gaming machine then and now. Archimedes emulators arent exactly that popular and you dont have many people downloading torrents of games or websites etc.

Obviously if you had one as a kid you would be interested but most didnt. Theres many many more computers/consoles i want to use before even trying an Archimedes emulator (if there is one)

Lets not turn the magazine into some non-mainstream computer/console mag ! Big vote for no
Yeah - lets do the Mega Drive, SNES and NES again!!!1111!!! :cry:

User avatar
E-Type
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:29 am

Post by E-Type » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:23 pm

psj3809 wrote:I love retro machines/consoles but i dont want to see much about the Archimedes. Was never really known as a retro gaming machine then and now. Archimedes emulators arent exactly that popular and you dont have many people downloading torrents of games or websites etc.

Obviously if you had one as a kid you would be interested but most didnt. Theres many many more computers/consoles i want to use before even trying an Archimedes emulator (if there is one)

Lets not turn the magazine into some non-mainstream computer/console mag ! Big vote for no
Steady on. I'm just asking for more recognition.

There are several emulators for Archimedes and RISC OS - *thousands* of people use Virtual Acorn/RiscPC in case you didn't know.

There's also A310em for Archimedes emulation on modern RISC OS machines (again thousands of users).

It was deemed to be a platform Major enough to have most of the Bitmap Brothers games in last month's issue and many other conversions besides.

PTRACER
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: UK

Post by PTRACER » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:23 pm

I've not used an Acorn PC since around 1998. I never knew you could get games for them as well!

There was a program that I remember, I think it was simply called "Turtle". I don't know whether it can be considered a game, more like an educational tool...You basically typed a script and a "turtle" would move across the screen, creating a shape for you, depending on what you typed.

It was something like FORWARD 100, RIGHT 90, FORWARD 100, RIGHT 90, FORWARD 100, RIGHT 90, FORWARD 100, RIGHT 90, END and you'd get a square...

Unbelievable to think they were teaching us computer programming/scripting when we were only 8 or 9 years old. :lol:

User avatar
Xesh
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:50 pm
Location: Canterbury, Kent

Post by Xesh » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 pm

psj3809 wrote:I love retro machines/consoles but i dont want to see much about the Archimedes. Was never really known as a retro gaming machine then and now.
I would actually prefer RG to feature less well known computers and consoles so that I could see what was around. That's not to say I want the more common stuff excluded but to exclude a machine just because it was relatively unpopular is unfair. The Archimedes was another of the under-rated Acorn machines. There were many games on it and that's not including the fact that it could emulate a 6502 and thus run most Beeb software. The other reason to include it is the fact that it was a RISC based system which, at the time, was unusual.

If I were to exclude all the computers that I didn't think were popular when they were out then there'd be no Speccy, C64 or Atari coverage. Where I was more people had Acorns than any other computer. One of my mates had a Speccy, one had a Dragon 32, one had a CPC464 and none had either a C64 or Atari.

IMO RG should aim to cover as many of the older systems as it can. Not necessarily in the same mag though! :D

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:45 am

I've always been a fan of the Acorn Archimides - I currently own an A3010 and I was amazed at the quality of games I've managed to pick up for it.

User avatar
The Master
Posts: 7252
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm
Location: the isle of everywhere

Post by The Master » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:43 am

I had an A310 back in the day. This in itself calls for more coverage :D

psj3809
Posts: 18817
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:47 am

Xesh wrote:If I were to exclude all the computers that I didn't think were popular when they were out then there'd be no Speccy, C64 or Atari coverage. Where I was more people had Acorns than any other computer. One of my mates had a Speccy, one had a Dragon 32, one had a CPC464 and none had either a C64 or Atari.

IMO RG should aim to cover as many of the older systems as it can. Not necessarily in the same mag though! :D
Perhaps in your group of friends the Speccy/C64 wasnt popular but either way you have to admit its one of the most popular machines in the UK !

I dont want strange unknown machines featured in Retro Gamer, RG has to sell more copies, having a front cover of some unknown game of the Oric or Archimedes on the front will doom Retro Gamer.

I had friends with a wide variety of machines but either way Speccy/C64/Amstrad were the big three. The magazines called Retro Gamer, i want good retro games on systems. IF the Archimedes did have many classic games than non-Archimedes owners would be downloading emulators and talking non stop about the games. Which theyre not.

Personally if RG started featuring less well known computers and consoles i would stop buying it for sure. I dont want pure Speccy/Amstrad/C64 every issue but for me i want to read about the best games around in the 80's or 90's.

You say "if i were to exclude all the computers that i didnt think were popular...." you honestly think the Speccy/C64 werent popular back then ? Because your group of friends didnt have one then surely the rest of the UK was the same !??!?!

My friend had an Oric, another had a Dragon, they both knew the big machines were the Speccy/C64 etc. They werent blinded by their small group !

psj3809
Posts: 18817
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:48 am

will2097 wrote:Yeah - lets do the Mega Drive, SNES and NES again!!!1111!!! :cry:
Great point ! Lets have only the Archimedes, Oric and Dragon in every issue and hardly feature the Mega Drive/SNES and NES !

I'm sure it'll sell tons of issues !

Retro gaming has been huge the last 5 or so years because of emulators for the popular machines, not because of some kid thinking i'll download an Archimedes emulator.

What next ? Print lots of basic listings for people to input ? :cry:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests