Retro Books

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:08 pm

This thread would've been so useful earlier this week when I was at my girlfrineds and decided to order some stuff from Amazon. Was mainly looking for Game Over which they only had on .com in the marketplace area, so decided to look through those little handmade member lists at the side of the screen. They were soooo useless every single one had pretty much the same 6 books over and over again. Couldn't find a single list the had completed a top ten. Ended up ordering 2 books, can't actually remember which ones though, so that'll be a nice little surprise when they turn up. :) :)
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:21 pm

So many excellent recommendations in this thread already. I added 5 of them to my Amazon wish list and bookmarked the Rolenta site to remind myself to order some of those in the future.

One that I have not seen mentioned:

Hackers by Steven Levy - this is not specifically about the game industry but covers the (American) computer game industry in general. Has tons of info about Sierra and Broderbund.

Tabe

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:54 am

boyo wrote:I am reading "The A-Z of Cool Computer Games" by Jack Railton at the moment and enjoying it. Purchased on Amazon.
Yeah thought this book was very good, knew most of the games and i liked the way he wrote about other things about that era. Very good book

Really hope the Spectrum coffee table book is out soon !

Mad Gerald

Re:

Post by Mad Gerald » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:02 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:This thread would've been so useful earlier this week when I was at my girlfrineds and decided to order some stuff from Amazon. Was mainly looking for Game Over which they only had on .com in the marketplace area, so decided to look through those little handmade member lists at the side of the screen. They were soooo useless every single one had pretty much the same 6 books over and over again. Couldn't find a single list the had completed a top ten. Ended up ordering 2 books, can't actually remember which ones though, so that'll be a nice little surprise when they turn up. :) :)
Are you still looking for Game Over? I have it in my loft.

Officially a crap gamer - but one that works for SEGA

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Bumped so I can remember to read it properly later and visit Amazon. Again.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:48 pm

Mad Gerald wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:This thread would've been so useful earlier this week when I was at my girlfrineds and decided to order some stuff from Amazon. Was mainly looking for Game Over which they only had on .com in the marketplace area, so decided to look through those little handmade member lists at the side of the screen. They were soooo useless every single one had pretty much the same 6 books over and over again. Couldn't find a single list the had completed a top ten. Ended up ordering 2 books, can't actually remember which ones though, so that'll be a nice little surprise when they turn up. :) :)
Are you still looking for Game Over? I have it in my loft.

Why am I only finding this now? This isn't a thread I would've skipped over. Unless my comp was being dodgy that day. Grrr :evil:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:56 am

Okay got two books from Amazon today...

The Illustrated History of Electronic Games - High Score!

Had a quick flick through it, tons of pages, (392) , tons of american stuff, goes through the eras and will bring back a lot of memories, 70's, 80's and the PC/console boom in the 90's

Has a 'across the atlantic' section at the back which of course features Speccy, C64, BBC and others. Very good book

My favourite however is...

Arcade Fever

I presume the Speccy book will look a bit like this. Has most of the famous 70's/80's arcade titles which they look at. Some funny facts about each game also, some other tips etc. Features all the famous games.

Both look very very good

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:00 am

psj3809 wrote:Okay got two books from Amazon today...

The Illustrated History of Electronic Games - High Score!

Had a quick flick through it, tons of pages, (392) , tons of american stuff, goes through the eras and will bring back a lot of memories, 70's, 80's and the PC/console boom in the 90's

Has a 'across the atlantic' section at the back which of course features Speccy, C64, BBC and others. Very good book
It is a very good book indeed. It's very American-centric which is OK, but you got the second edition with the section on the UK added which was a good move.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:02 am

I'm in the middle of reading Arcade Fever at the moment. Nice little book, but I still prefer Supercade (though its very Americancentric).

I'd have finished it by now but I left it at work on Friday :(

I expected The Ultimate History of Videogames to be in a similar vein, but there are very few pictures in it and they're mono. As its all text, there's a lot of reading in that one.

I may unseal Electronic Plastic today as yesterday was such a crap day.

I bought Creepy Computer Games yesterday :D
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:22 am

Nice Creepy Computer Games find.. :lol: I love bits like that, I picked this up the other day...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 am

Nice. I've not seen that one before. What platfroms does it cover, I can't quite make out the last one - is it BBC?

The Creepy Computer Games one is quite common and easy to get hold of. There are a couple more in the series with different themes I think - certainly one other as I've a vague memory of it.

I just wanted it as I remember borrowing it from the library when I was a kid and bashing the listings into shape on my Oric. I'm curious if I could do it now, its been so long since I used Oric BASIC.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
I may unseal Electronic Plastic today as yesterday was such a crap day.
I've lost count the number of times I've gone through that book. Lovely. :D

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Nice. I've not seen that one before. What platfroms does it cover, I can't quite make out the last one - is it BBC?

The Creepy Computer Games one is quite common and easy to get hold of. There are a couple more in the series with different themes I think - certainly one other as I've a vague memory of it.

I just wanted it as I remember borrowing it from the library when I was a kid and bashing the listings into shape on my Oric. I'm curious if I could do it now, its been so long since I used Oric BASIC.
I'm sure there was a Spy Computer Games and another horror based one - maybe actually it was Mysterious, or Horror or something like that. I had one book which had all three collections in.

Is Creepy Computer Games then one with 'Grave Digger' in it? That was fun.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:52 am

On the back cover it says that this book is the first of two books, the other being The Mystery of Silver Mountain.

They come with a story told in comic book style which plays along with the type in game..

The last machine listed is a BBC 32k

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: The Creepy Computer Games one is quite common and easy to get hold of.
I picked up a copy last year. They often find there way onto ebay.