Retro Books

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Alphos2000

Re: Retro Books

Post by Alphos2000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:41 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Alphos2000 wrote:Could you tell me wich books are mostly visual and Illustrated? Here in Spain no one edit videogame books. For example, I have:

- SNES Book (Japanese)
- Megadrive Complete (Japanese)
- Gameplan's The encyclopedia of Game Machines (English)
- Family Computer 1983-1994 (Japanese)
- I am 8 Bit (English)
- The Fantasy Art of Oliver Frey (English)
- Videogame Guinness Records 2008 (English)

I would like to find books like "Gameplan's The encyclopedia of Game Machines". Are there more books like it (I mean, not only text to read).
These are my favourite books in regard to their illustrated nature (although good reads as well) if you're looking for books of a coffee style nature with plenty of wonderful photos:

-High Score:The Illustrated history of Video Games
-Arcade Fever
-Supercade

Those three IMO are the best ones for the photos as well as text, and are pretty easy to find (Amazon or Betterworld.com should have them). IMO the ultimate history of video games although text heavy would still be my fave overall.
The Hiive books from what I can tell look wonderful and rather lavish in that department as well, and I'm sure someone with them will post and vouch for that. :)

Thank you kiwimike!! I shold receive this week Arcade Fever, I bought it to Sturoboros. I will check now Supercade & High Score and maybe will buy them too. Here in Spain there aren't any retro books. Well, there aren't any videogame books but two volumes of Mondo Pixel, very nice books for those one who knows spanish. But they are only text, no photos ;)

Thanks!!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:23 am

No worries! :wink:

You'll enjoy Arcade Fever, it has some great photos of some classics from the golden era of arcades. Supercade follows the same line, but much better (and bigger!) with a few snippets on the home market.
High Score! is a beautiful coffee table book covering many arcade, consoles and computers, and really is a great book-Probably the best IMO for a good covering of photos right across the game industry :)

rolenta

Re: Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames 4th edition

Post by rolenta » Thu May 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Time to revive an old post. But it's now official. I have just signed a contract with a 'real' publisher. If all goes according to schedule, the 4th edition of Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames will be published (not self-published) in late 2013.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

I think its the fall and rise of Commodore, that one was a ripper, also I just got History of Nintendo Vol 2 Game & Watch and I absolutely love it, an almost perfect look at the Game & Watch series. Believe me, I was milking up.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri May 04, 2012 6:02 pm

rolenta wrote:Time to revive an old post. But it's now official. I have just signed a contract with a 'real' publisher. If all goes according to schedule, the 4th edition of Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames will be published (not self-published) in late 2013.
Great news!
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue May 08, 2012 5:58 am

rolenta wrote:Time to revive an old post. But it's now official. I have just signed a contract with a 'real' publisher. If all goes according to schedule, the 4th edition of Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames will be published (not self-published) in late 2013.
Fantastic. I had earlier editions which I really enjoyed, but gave them to my game mad nephew to start his collection. He's enjoying them.
Just reading through Confessions of the game Doc again Rolenta, in tribute of Bill :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon May 21, 2012 1:22 am

Counting down to Atari Vol 1, scheduled for July release (I think). Awesome.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:44 am

Great to hear more info about the new Atari book this month, it sounds like it'll be a must for fans of both Atari and games of the era. I am really looking forward to this.

Bought a 'new' book today- old actually...the classic 'Electronic Plastic', the lovely softcover coffee table styled book of tabletop and handhelds. More of a design book with nice photo layouts and showing the appearance of the games rather than a big read, it's still a gorgeous book.
It's such a nice book I've wanted for ages, but usually goes for insane prices in the three figures. I look occasionally in the usual Amazon Marketplace, Ebay and Betterworld.com places...and it finally paid off. There's a few reasonable priced ones going around atm if anyone was looking to pick it up :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:59 am

Few months ago bought the two retro game art books I am eight bit, and it's sequel I am Super eight bit. Ideal for gamers and fans of art in general, and absolutely perfect for gamers into art (like yours truely). Inspirational, and I really want to do something for the yearly exhibitions :)