Retro Books

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Retro Books

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:15 pm

Would it be possible to have a round up and/or reviews of books about retro gaming?

With the imminent release of the Oliver Frey and ZX Spectrum books
it would be helpful to know whether they are worth buying (I'm sure they will be)

The main reason I ask this,is because where else are we going to find out about any new releases,or any classic books we may have missed

I mean,we're not going to find these books advertised in the front window of Waterstones!

What does anyone else think?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Books

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:21 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Would it be possible to have a round up and/or reviews of books about retro gaming?

it would be helpful to know whether they are worth buying (I'm sure they will be)

The main reason I ask this,is because where else are we going to find out about any new releases,or any classic books we may have missed

I mean,we're not going to find these books advertised in the front window of Waterstones!

I'm working on this at the moment guys.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Would it be possible to have a round up and/or reviews of books about retro gaming?

I'm working on this at the moment guys.

Great minds... 8)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:21 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Um, Amazon ? :wink: Just joking. :D It's a good idea, in fact another magazine covered dozens of them a few months ago, but they weren't exactly the most detailed of reviews...

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:10 pm

Book reviews are something I'd be interested in reading. I'm thinking of getting some, but not sure which ones to get.

I've just got Digital Retro, but haven't had any time to really look at it yet, and I'm probably going to get the Encylopedia of Game Machines.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:19 pm

necronom wrote:Book reviews are something I'd be interested in reading. I'm thinking of getting some, but not sure which ones to get.

I've just got Digital Retro, but haven't had any time to really look at it yet, and I'm probably going to get the Encylopedia of Game Machines.

Have you heard about the ZX Spectrum book,due out soon?Looks really interesting,and is to have a foreward by Sir Clive himself.Obviously going to only appeal if you like the Speccy -see www.zxgoldenyears.com
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:46 pm

Obviously going to only appeal if you like the Speccy
not quite, a lot of the game would have been multi format. I was (and still am) a big c64 fan, but I've pre-ordered the book.
I'm probably going to get the Encylopedia of Game Machines.
go for it necronom, it's a really good book. Got it about 3 months ago, and read it from cover to cover.

Yep, there are loads of good retro books out at the moment, a roundup would be a really good idea. But please make sure it's a comprehensive roundup. I just got "The A-Z of classic computer games" from amazon - haven't started it yet though

romanista

Post by romanista » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:04 am

the rise of fall of commodore looks interesting too..

(and ofcoz some older books like, the ultimate history by Steven kent, Trgiiger Happy (pretentious cack or a tale of experieces, you decide) and highscore, qwhich is more of a coffee table book...
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:52 am

Please include the UK release of 'High Score - the Illustrated History of Electronic Games'. Superb book.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:25 am

The A-Z of Cool Computer games by Jack Railton which i got off amazon is very good as you have heard of most of the computers/games.

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:41 am

psj3809 wrote:The A-Z of Cool Computer games by Jack Railton which i got off amazon is very good as you have heard of most of the computers/games.
Yes its very good, though his 'humour' slightly grates after a while, and the references to uk tv programmes will mean nothing to someone live in the USA.

Still, its worth a purchase as it covers most topics associated with retro games.

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:07 am

Two books by Steven L. Kent - the second one is hard to get hold of as it's out of print, and used copies are $75+ US for a shabby copy. If you see a copy, snaffle it, as the price will only go up (as if you'd sell it ;))

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076153 ... e&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097047 ... e&n=283155

Sadly there's little (no?) coverage of the UK industry, but the books still make very compelling reading!

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:43 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you really must add "Extra Life, The Coming of Age in Cyberspace" to your collections.

The book is a true story about a kid growing up in the 80's and how computers affected his life.

I can't see it on Amazon.co.uk, but it's available on .com:

Well worth tracking down.
Last edited by roberthazelby on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

backdrifter

Re:

Post by backdrifter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:49 pm

roberthazelby wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you really must add "Extra Life, The Coming of Age in Cyberspace" to your collections.

The book is a true story about a kid growing up in the 80's and how computers affected his life.

I can't see it on Amazon.co.uk, but it's available on .com:

Well worth tracking down.[/url]
Yes, yes, YES! I had to go track that one down thanks to yur recommendation at rllmuk, and it's bloody brilliant!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:21 am

Supercade: A Visual History of the Videogame Age 1971-1984 is a superb book, well worth the asking price.