Retro Gaming Anthology

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:15 am

They probably just searched for "Retro Gamer" rather than "Retro Gaming".

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:26 am

Picked this up yesterday cuz I was feeling a tad guilty for having skipped the past few issues of Retro (being a student, money dont come easy : <)

I'm glad some of the articles got polished up a bit. They look a lot better than they did originally. Though I have a few qualms

*The Mega Tree article wasnt updated at all. Retro said it would try and find out what was on the 18th disc of Mega Tree. Did anyone ever find out?

*The Mario article was surprising though I wish there had been more giving some idea of the game worlds and stuff. I mean yeah it was gonna be a Mario World clone but the screenshots really intregued me.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:41 am

JennyTablina wrote: *The Mega Tree article wasnt updated at all. Retro said it would try and find out what was on the 18th disc of Mega Tree. Did anyone ever find out?
The Mega Tree disks belonged to the old editorial team at Live Publishing and, as far as I know, are no longer in the possession of Retro Gamer.

Jax

Re:

Post by Jax » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

Dudley wrote:
Jax wrote:can anyone give me the SKU or Barcode number for this publication, my
local WHSmiths just called ( as I asked them to keep me posted of events
to get this magazine) and said it was a year old out of print issue, and no
longer available :evil: :evil: :evil:

bl00dy numpty`s
"numpties" is the accepted plural

Also, 9771748715006

ISSN - 17487153

cheers for that, will call them later and see what they say

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:24 am

JennyTablina wrote:*The Mario article was surprising though I wish there had been more giving some idea of the game worlds and stuff. I mean yeah it was gonna be a Mario World clone but the screenshots really intregued me.
Sorry about that, I took about about a hundred screen grabs, but in the end it was all a matter of space. Or rather lack of space. Still, I think the article did a good job of showing that each level had different types of characters (with Roman and Greek turtle enemies pictured). Other levels had turles dressed as Dracula, and Eskimos!

This image, from TBMP, shows the menu screen for selecting worlds.

And if you check the 3rd page of this topic, you'll find I've provided links to additional reading material. :)

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any online archive of decent SMWW screengrabs.

Failing all that, the game is available on various FTPs and torrents, and can be emulated. ;)

Though don't ask me about such public things! Mine was supplied by a private collector.

Devin

Post by Devin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 pm

John did a really great job on the SMWW article! That's certainly the most accurate account i've read about this peculiar prototype so far, as curator of The Black Moon Project it makes me damned proud to finally see CD-i gaming get some airtime on RetroGamer. Even if it is another Nintendo license story! :wink:

If your really interested I could take some screen captures of the prototype in the coming days and publish them for you all to look over. A column on TBMP called The Black Moon Monthly from my Dutch buddy Bas recently ran an insightful piece on the Nintendo License in the March 2006 edition. Check it out at this following link for the full scoop.

One final comment, have a look on the second page of the SMWW feature and that screenshot with the caption "With unreleased beta games, some sections won't have had their graphics applied yet", well that was the vision for that particular level! I think Marty the level designer was doing some pretty heavy recreational pharmaceuticals at the time :roll:
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

Jax

Re:

Post by Jax » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:09 pm

Jax wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Jax wrote:can anyone give me the SKU or Barcode number for this publication, my
local WHSmiths just called ( as I asked them to keep me posted of events
to get this magazine) and said it was a year old out of print issue, and no
longer available :evil: :evil: :evil:

bl00dy numpty`s
"numpties" is the accepted plural

Also, 9771748715006

ISSN - 17487153

cheers for that, will call them later and see what they say
thanks for the relevant codes, I now have a copy winging my way for
tuesday I hope :D

darwinconan

Post by darwinconan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:11 pm

Just got the Anthology today at Barnes and Nobles in the USA. I was surprise when I saw it there on the newsstand. I thought for sure it was going to be sold out or they never got it, but there it was in a cardboard folder, right next to issue 23. There is no way to order it online and I did not want make a international call to buy it.
I just browse through it and it looks really good. The article about the Nintendo music looks really interesting. I always like the sid music on the C64 and did not know that anything was happing with Nintendo music.

Darwin

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:31 pm

I failed to get this magazine. Is there anywhere at all I could still get it from?

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:34 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:I failed to get this magazine. Is there anywhere at all I could still get it from?
I think it's been pulled from shelves now as the new issue of Elite is out (DS special). There must be some way to order it though.......?

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:39 pm

That's what I thought.

A bit annoying when there's still 500 copies of the first GamesTM Retro special that came out (what at least feels like) years ago!

cheeky_muffin

Re:

Post by cheeky_muffin » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:03 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:I failed to get this magazine. Is there anywhere at all I could still get it from?
My local WHSmith in Bletchley still has about half a dozen copies left.

Wyluli

Post by Wyluli » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:41 pm

Glad you all mentioned this. Of course it is actually May 1st tomorrow, but I went to the local Barnes and Noble here in the USA and found Retro Gaming Anthology 2 and snatched it up (gotta love those delayed shipping times. We are on issue #23 here on regular retro gamer). :wink:

Captain Scarlet

Post by Captain Scarlet » Wed May 03, 2006 8:12 pm

To [OriginalJax],

RE your question about subs taking a couple of months. If you subscribe then you will get the magazine much quicker than waiting for it in the shops. I live in Australia, and I got the latest issue a few days ago. I'm not sure what the deal is with mags taking ages to reach international shores but maybe it's something to do with copies that have not sold that get returned and then they ship 'em out to international stores. Just guessing there!. Anyway, subs is the way to go as you will get your copy only a few days after the guys in the UK.

Hope that helps.

Adrian

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 04, 2006 5:12 am

Captain Scarlet wrote:maybe it's something to do with copies that have not sold that get returned and then they ship 'em out to international stores
I doubt it. In fact, overseas copies are often a boon to internal publishing figures, because returns are often not counted (because they arrive back so late), so all overseas magazines are often counted as a "sale".

The reason why the US/Australia and the like's news-stand copies are so far behind those in the UK is down to the fact that they're usually shipped surface, to keep down the cover price. Subs, on the other hand, seem to be shipped airmail (at least as far as Imagine is concerned).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com