From the forum question for issue 23

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:31 pm

I loved everything Pac-Man as a kid, in fact I used to walk around going "wakka wakka wakka", completely covering my school desk with various sizes of biro-drawn Pac-Mans, plus nicked a roll of stickers from the secretary's office, covered them with Pac-Mans and ghosts/monsters, and put them in unlikely places, like on ceilings, or the front of the overhead-projector used in morning assembly, where everyone saw it, and giggled. Oops. I think "the authorities" were a bit worried about me :)

Mort

Post by Mort » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:45 pm

Slightly Eclectic set here of fav`s.

The Infocom set apart from Nord and Bert could not make head not tail of it (neither could I!)

The Mercenary Collection, here I go again the most atmospheric 3d gaming I came across until Doom .Mercenary,Second City,Damocles, Mission Disks,Mecenary 3 (now Paul Woakes would make a good interview!)

Elite,Frontier,First Encounters, plus patches, oh the fun I had with those, more patches than a nicotine junky on the last one, though still played them to Death or Dos prompt! :lol:

And finally the Skooldaze and Back to Skool games (just great fun) :D
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Robbo

Re: From the forum question for issue 23

Post by Robbo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:43 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Crikey, it's that time of the month already.

Anyway, what's your favourite franchise/series and why?
I'd have to say the SENSIBLE SOCCER franchise on the Amiga was my personal favourite. The game was revolutionary when it first came out and until that moment 'Kick Off' was the top dog. The controls were simplistic which created certainly the most enjoyable footballing experience I ever had the pleasure to play. The graphics were simple, but the gameplay proved that out of the two which was easily the more important aspect for the gamer!

I'd also point out that every new version that was released was better than the last, climaxing with the amazing SWOS 96/97 which has NEVER been surpassed by even the likes of FIFA and Pro Evo from modern day gaming. Admittedly I never had the chance to play the Sensi offering on the PS1. Let's all pray that the up coming Sensible Soccer for all the modern day platforms can reclaim the throne of footballing games!

Robbo.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:34 am

For me it has to be the Dizzy series or maybe the Streetfighter franchise.

There are so many Dizzy games ranging from eggscellent (will just get my coat) to some rotten eggs (did I get my coat?). Always got excited when a new Dizzy game came out as I rushed down my local newsagent or toyshop with £1.99 in my hand. Cant wait for a 3D update.

bazza6891

Post by bazza6891 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:44 am

:twisted: urgh - ow - grunt - oof - ouch - argh - !!!!!
Thats better - glad to get that straightjacket off.
Now what were we talking about ? - oh yeah favourite franchises/series.
It has got to be Army men - cutting edge graphics, excellent gameplay, innovative ideas and brilliant storylines.
:twisted:
Ouch - geroff - oof - ow - struggle - getoffofme
Sorry got to go - men in white suits are putting me back in my padded cell.
:(
Send my greetings to the real world :shock:

:arrow: bring back Dizzy :!:

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Thunderforce for me. I thought 2 was a bit pants, but 3, 4 and 5 were amazing. I always wondered why people preferred R-Type (which is a brilliant franchise in its own right though).

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:25 pm

The Gradius/Nemesis series of shmups are generally pretty tasty.

Gradius V absolutely rocks, Gradius Advance is superb too and the original still has me playing it every so often.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Besides the super mario platforming series and the Zelda series it would have to be the Kirby platforming series. I love those games. The finest example would be Kirby's Fun Pak on the SNES.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:20 pm

For me it has to be (drum roll.......)(totally original.....)

Resident Evil!! TA DA!!!

First played resi 2 at RAF Laarbruch in the Pilots Briefing Facility in the middle of the night.

Imagine playing that game in a room where there are pilots suits/helmets hanging up on the walls, imagine when one of your 'mates' has sneaked in, gets behind one of the suits and starts 'moving it around'.

Not good when in the game you are running past the series of boarded up windows where the zombies burst thru and a suit on the wall raisies its arms!!

Also not good when some sod slams the entrance door to the building, the metallic clang it makes scares the crap out of you!!

Bleugh

Fav franchise

Post by Bleugh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:06 am

Dizzy,

yep, i'm hooked, i've even taken to playing it with pocketclive on my phone.........during my breaks of course in work,
still havent found that last coin in treasure island Dizzy yet

the only franchise of more modern times for me is
Starcraft/warcraft (and currently world of warcraft has me hooked)

romanista

Re: From the forum question for issue 23

Post by romanista » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:35 am

Robbo wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Crikey, it's that time of the month already.

Anyway, what's your favourite franchise/series and why?
I'd have to say the SENSIBLE SOCCER franchise on the Amiga was my personal favourite. The game was revolutionary when it first came out and until that moment 'Kick Off' was the top dog. The controls were simplistic which created certainly the most enjoyable footballing experience I ever had the pleasure to play. The graphics were simple, but the gameplay proved that out of the two which was easily the more important aspect for the gamer!
Robbo.
we've got the dutch open sensi tournament this saturday in utrecht
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

default_user

Bitmaps & T17

Post by default_user » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:47 am

Team 17s Alien Breed series. Not the 3D versions though.

The Bitmaps Chaos Engine games.

The Resident Evil games.

Infocoms Zork series.

All the Metal Slug games.
My little retro corner of the web:
http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:07 am

I'd have to go for the Castlevania franchise. It's produced plenty of games and although the basics are very similar, they manage to introduce new game play features to keep the series feeling fresh, unlike other some long-running franchises (EA's FIFA!)
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:20 am

Speaking of which, I completely despise the "cash cow" franchises where companies release a new title every year, just for the hell of it. EA seem to be the biggest culprits of this with most of their sports franchises. People still buy them in droves yet they offer very little over previous years. Surely a lower cost data-disc would be sufficient in most cases, or they should give the loyal punters the option of trading in last years title for a discount on the new title.

Sorry, the question was about favourite franchises so I'll shut up now! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

drws

Post by drws » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 am

Although the usual suspects of Mario, Lara, Sonic etc. spring to mind...

What about Megaman? (or Rockman)
Since the early games on the NES, which added a few twists to the run/jump/shoot formula, to the branches in to 3D, fighting and RPG elements, there is something for most gamers.