From the forum question for issue 23

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:10 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
eksosrock wrote:Spy vs Spy (c64)
Which was your favourite?
Mine was definatley number 2 The Island Caper.I loved the theme music on C64
Yep, Spy vs Spy 2 for me as well. I have a couple of remixes of the music downloaded. Setting traps was the business - but the split screen made it too easy to see your opponent at work. Still, seeing them carefully avoid the punji pit you'd dug and getting caught in a contingency coconut bomb they hadn't noticed you planting was always good for a laugh.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:35 pm

Magic Knight series for me!

An excellent little arcade game in Finders Keepers followed by three innovative and compulsively addictive arcade/adventures in Spellbound, Knight Tyme and Stormbringer. Great soundtracks to boot

Best of all - it only cost £11 for the lot at the time! Knocks the crap out of Dizzy
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Without a doubt the best franchise for me is that speedy blue hedgehog. Until it went all 3D, the Sonic series was (and still is) the bain of my life! I probably would be someone else if he didn't exist!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

forestville

Post by forestville » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:59 pm

For me it has so got to be Nintendo's Super Mario

from the first mario games up to super mario world on the snes 8)

and most defiantly Mario All Stars also on the snes

which featured 4 super mario games inc..

super mario - 1985

super mario: the lost levels - 1986

super mario 2 - 1988

super mario 3 - 1990

very cool games 8) 8)
Press play on tape

achromic

Post by achromic » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Difficult question to answer at this time of the morning :lol:

I'd have said the horace series of game on the speccy. they were from a simpler time, when men were men, and computers had strange rubber type keyboards (something to do with a splash guard!)
Horace looked just like a blob, but could do all sorts of things, ski, walk, and other stuff (too early in morning).
Also, Pitfall & Pitfall II. These games were the best I'd played on the 2600. Pitfall II being the better of them, Harry being given new moves.
Achromic -

If it's not in stock, you really don't want it!

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:37 am

Has to be the Monkey Island series.

If it wasn't for Monkey Island, I'd have no idea of what to do with a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle :)

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

skinny

Post by skinny » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:19 pm

My first console was the Game Gear, so it has to be Sonic and Shinobi. I bought Sonic 1 with the console, completed it in a week! Got Sonic 2 when it came out and it took a little longer. Shinobi I borrowed from a friend and played it to completion as well. I played Shinobi 2 but not as much as the first one.

On the Playstation I loved Colin McRae 1&2, also TOCA 1&2, Codemasters got things spot-on with those games. I also enjoyed the Tomb Raider series on the Playstation.

I've played the follow-ups to all these series on PC and ended up buying the orginal games on budget labels and enjoyed them all over again.

romanista

Post by romanista » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:03 am

not really an answer but this is interesting in this context: the top 30 franchises of this gen.. zelda below namco museum: http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=49964

and for the answer.. is the sensi-style a franchise? the sensible software little men were for me the best series ever, popping up in wars, strange worlds, a train station, the soccer field and the golf court*. when you saw them, you knew were getting a game that focussed more on giving you the best gameplay experience (giving you a whole overview) rathen the the best graphics (beautfully zoomed in stuff, which didn't help keeping track of the big picture)

*cannon fodder, megalomania, sensible trainspotter, sensi soccer, sensi golf respectively
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:26 am

Hmm, so many to choose from.

The Super Mario games? A good choice but probably a bit too obvious.

Sonic the Hedgehog? I was never the biggest fan.

Army Men? Maybe not.

I'm going to have to pick the Silent Hill series. These are probably the only games to actually make me wet my pants in fear! :)
Last edited by Dark Reaper on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craigritchie

Post by craigritchie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Sierra. I loved the AGI/SCI quest games, before they went VGA and did away with keyboard input - Larry, King's Quest, Space Quest... then the individual greats such as Gold Rush! and Conquests of Camelot. The first Laura Bow game was great - The Colonel's Bequest. Then there is the Quest For Glory series, the first of which is one of the greatest mergings of RPG/adventure ever. Sierra's text driven adventures did it for me, definitely.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:55 pm

Other than Sonic which is a little obvious, I was always a major fan of EA's NHL franchise. The first I played was NHLPA '93 on the Mega Drive, and I'd go out of my way to ensure I picked up or at least rented further incarnations when they emerged.

I still remember being blown away when NHL '96 came out on the PC, in its full 3D glory. That was definitely something.

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:28 pm

Monkey Island, as for the reasons why.... I did write a very large list but I must have left it in my other pants :wink:

Good to see the Last Ninja games get a few votes and I must also mention the Kick Off / Player Manager / Kick Off 2 / Goal series.

From the more modern stuff then the Championship Manager (93) to Football Manager (06) series must be the most addictive ever, and the Pro Evo Soccer games are simply stunning.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:07 am

I would have to say the legendary Sabreman games.

From Sabre Wulf - Underwurlde - Knight Lore, back in the 80's everytime one of these games was released everyone rushed to the shops. The high price back then didnt put people off or the joint releases. During those years any Ultimate release i had to buy straight away.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:38 am

The Panzer Dragoon series

4 Games in and the story still hasnt truly unfolded.

The Dunesque worms of the original were a revelation.

The sinister ships of Zwei defining the Empire you were battling.

Saga telling the story of the Dragons.

And Orta revealing the scale of the world and factions within and tales of super weapons, death and love in equal measure. Plus graphics that made the X Box weep.

Please dont be over
Just where is Mickey T?

Hiroke

Post by Hiroke » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:01 am

Fairly predictable this, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and the Metal Gear Solid series are all great. Tomb Raider especially, you could have nocked me over with a small pork chop when I first played it. Those graphics was simply amazing. But as a racing game fan, nothing get's me more excited than the Gran Turismo series. It was the combination of brilliant graphics, weighty handling and the fact that most of the cars were the sort that you DIDN'T get in The Need for Speed or any other racing game of that time in fact.

Monkey Island was great, but Broken Sword stood out for me, mainly because of it's graphical style. I WISH they made a new one that was like the first two to play.