From the forum question for issue 23

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:30 pm

Metroid. Keeps getting better. Now I only briefly played it on the NES back in the 1980's, so my real introduction to it was Super Metroid. The big box, the player's guide, the intro sequence... Forget the long post, go read John S's excellent article in issue 19 about why Super Metroid is so good. I'll just go and drool over the latest DS Hunters screenshots...

smila

Post by smila » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:57 pm

manic miner/jsw
monty mole
rockford/boulderdash

loved all
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:16 pm

I was a big fan of the Sir Aurthur Pendragon games on the C64.

Staff of Karnath, Entombed, Blackwytch etc...

Great games

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:26 pm

i'd say the Turrican series but i only like the first two on C64 and Amiga, Turrican 3 was okay but weak and the SNES variants i didn't get on with at all... hmm, have to be the Gradius series and offshoots, lots of good, clean blasty action and nice little variations between formats.

White Demon

Post by White Demon » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:18 pm

Streets Of Rage/Bare Knuckles series (MD): a simple, no holds-barred beat-em-up to take out some pent-up frustrations on. Some of the characters' moves well really well thought out.

Shenmue 1/2 (DC): RPG games never interested me. Then Shenmue came along and had me immersed in it's world for ages. The second game did it all over again but on a much bigger, grander scale. All the side quests, collectables, mini games, arcade games to see and play, other characters to meet and talk to etc. Stunnify beauty in its purest form.

Dance Dance Revolution/Dancing Stage. Enough said really, I just love these dancing games. And the music used ALWAYS suits the games perfectly (although I think there was one in DDR Disney that was rather dubious).

eksosrock

Post by eksosrock » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:20 am

Spy vs Spy (c64)

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:19 am

The Super Mario Bros platform series. It's never let me down -- yes, I even loved the turnip-tugging antics of US/Europe SMB2 and wasn't disappointed by Mario Sunshine. Only a few months till New Super Mario Bros on the DS!

chinnyhill10

Re: From the forum question for issue 23

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:37 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Crikey, it's that time of the month already.

Anyway, what's your favourite franchise/series and why?
Dizzy, because it proves that series/fanchises are all about hammering more money out of the same tired old idea.

Follow-up's, yeah, they generally work. But Super Mario Watching Paint Dry 10? Sonic Reloaded 74? Come on guys, let's have some new ideas instead of the same tired old twenty year old dross.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:14 am

Resident Evil. There have been some tip top games and some totally dire ones but when they release a good one it's just magical and totally absorbing. The first 2 on the Playstation and Resi 4 on the PS2 are definitely the highlights of the series.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

becker

Post by becker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:56 am

It got to be the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Simply because they don't lose the main elements which makes platforming at its best. 2D is one, the other is pure speed and so was the gameplay! Sonic's entry into 3D was not the same as the earlier series. So the best franchise for Sonic was the good old 2D days.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:49 am

Tricky one. Most franchises, at some point, overstretch themselves and release a duff title that ruins its reputation. I suppose that the Championship / Football Manager games have been consistently good. I also tend to sit up and take notice if a new Resident Evil or Tomb Raider game is promised.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:22 am

Maybe a bit obvious, but the Mario series doesn't seem to contain a duff game. They are all very playable and highly regarded.

Jax

Post by Jax » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:45 am

the pinball series on Amiga

Dream, Illusions and Fantasies

at the time of release you could not get a better pipnball experience
anywhere except with the real thing

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:52 pm

The Sonic games, at least up until Sonic & Knuckles. After that, things went a bit sour. Sonic Rush was a delightful (near) return to form.

The Shining Force, and Streets of Rage games are still regularly played in my humble abode. The MD SF games hold some of my most loved gaming memories in fact.

Then there's the Monkey Island games of couse. Though there's not much else to be said about that collection.

What about the Gabriel Knight games? Yes, the third may have been a bit of a drop in quality, but they're still cracking adventure titles.

I'll no doubt remember a few more in the next few days (thanks to my recent purchases of a C64 and Amiga 600!).

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:54 pm

eksosrock wrote:Spy vs Spy (c64)
Which was your favourite?
Mine was definatley number 2 The Island Caper.I loved the theme music on C64
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"