What is retro?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:43 pm

sonic91 wrote:
Dudley wrote:Indeed, which is why the Megadrive isn't Retro, we're still playing Fifa.
Please tell me you're joking. If a modern rendition of Jet Set Willy came out on the PS3/Wii, etc. would that make the Spectrum no longer retro?
He was just pointing out the gaping chasm in Mandelbot's argument

To be fair , I can understand MB's argument - that's his opinion of retro , and he's entitled to it

Personally I consider all of the 'Thens' to be retro games , as they're pretty much all 10+ years old , and I would consider few of their sequels to be improvements over the originals . The original Tomb Raider for me is on; of the most playable games ever , and very retro in it's styling
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:40 am

sonic91 wrote:
Dudley wrote:Indeed, which is why the Megadrive isn't Retro, we're still playing Fifa.
Please tell me you're joking. If a modern rendition of Jet Set Willy came out on the PS3/Wii, etc. would that make the Spectrum no longer retro?
According to Mandlebrot, yes.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:45 pm

That's not what I said. The examples I've given were not focused on franchises, but on gameplay mechanics. It's just happens (which is normal) that the games which introduced these mechanics and spawned modern day genres have become franchises with lots of sequels.

I didn't say (for example):
Then Doom, now Doom III. The FPS changed significantly since then (free looking, mouse/keyboard controls, everything in 3D, hardware acceleration, etc).

On the other hand, Quake had all the elements we now expect to see in a standard FPS game.

stejay

Post by stejay » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Retro gaming is any CONSOLE that is no longer produced or sold in GAME :lol: Any other Retro such as movies or music, it is anything before 1997 in my view.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:08 pm

Whatever our various definitions of retro, I think the magazine itself needs to keep a certain distance between what it covers and what we would consider contemporary games.

Generally, I think that the mag should focus on the pre PS1/N64 era, but also make room for games which are obscure/unusual/classical from that generation.

For example, I think games like Symphony of the Night and Radient Silvergun belong in Retro Gamer- games I'd describe as being classical, rather than retro as such.
Not just because they play in 2D, either- when Blast Corps was featured last month it seemed perfectly appropriate to me, not only because of Ultimate/Rare's lineage, but because its something of a one off genre-wise, so deserving of some retrospective attention.

I was unsure about Crazy Taxi featuring this month- I dig the game and love the Dreamcast, but it seems too soon, somehow. In two to three years time it might have seemed more reasonable.

What I definately dont want to see at any point in the mag would be say, Halo*, or something. Whether the X-Box is pushing up the daisies or not, i think it'll be years before it can be considered a retro platform.

I do agree with Mandlebrots definition of the modern gaming era to an extent, so am hoping to not see coverage of games which are essentially nigh-on identical to mainstream modern titles.

*Well, maybe ten years if the mags (hopefully) still around.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

DanDan the sega man

Post by DanDan the sega man » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:36 pm

i used to think that the Dreamcast was retro until i found out it was 1st released in 1998 {in europe} thats just two years before the playstation 2, the only time i say the dreamcast is retro is when im in gamestation trying to get a good deal. in my personal opinion retro starts at around pre 1990- but thats just my opinion... 8)

zerocool

Post by zerocool » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:48 am

Anything that brings back good memories :wink:

Muzer

Post by Muzer » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:01 pm

This only applies to home consoles. Computers and handhelds are different kettles of fish.
IMHO, retro means...
Anything that has been superceded twice (PS1, Saturn, N64 age and older currently)
Any console whose developer has dropped out of the hardware industry (so yes, I do count the DC as retro.)

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:30 am

Muzer wrote:retro means...
Anything that has been superceded twice
That's a good point. Although the PS1 has only recently been superceded twice, I've thought of it as retro for a while.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Muzer

Post by Muzer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:45 am

The second one was mainly just an excuse to get a DC, as I've heard great things about that machine.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:21 am

Muzer wrote:Any console whose developer has dropped out of the hardware industry (so yes, I do count the DC as retro.)
That doesn't make any sense!?

You are saying that is Microsoft or Sony went bust tomorrow, then the 360 or PS3 would be 'retro'!?!?!?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:38 am

GarryG wrote:
Muzer wrote:Any console whose developer has dropped out of the hardware industry (so yes, I do count the DC as retro.)

You are saying that is Microsoft or Sony went bust tomorrow, then the 360 or PS3 would be 'retro'!?!?!?
Does that mean the Gizmondo is considered retro too? :lol:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:02 am

GarryG wrote:

Surprisingly, there's a good chance the PS3 becoming retro in the not so distant future...

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:09 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:Surprisingly, there's a good chance the PS3 becoming retro in the not so distant future...
Er... No, no there isn't!?

Even if they stopped production, and it is discontinued this in no way makes it 'retro'

Please look the word up in a dictionary :roll:

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Muzer wrote:retro means...
Anything that has been superceded twice
Just thought it could mean that, but not every console has had a "sequel", the DC never had a sequel. Going back further, a lot of people class the Phillips G7000 Videopac as the successor to the Magnavox Odyssey, but it isn't officially, I don't think. So taking the above quote into account, that would mean the Odyssey isn't retro (despite being 35 years old), but obviously the Odyssey is retro, the above quote works for a lot of consoles, but not all.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-