What is retro?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega Hedgehog

Post by Sega Hedgehog » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 pm

Personally (of course, since this really does come down to a matter of opinion), I consider anything before 1997/98 retro. Maybe it's my age, but games around that age just seem old to me--I've seen the DC stuck in the retro section in Gamestation, and I don't think it deserves to be there. I've had conversations with the staff over that very subject before, and some of them agreed (the ones who knew what I was talking about, at least :lol:)
There might not be new games being produced for it now, but it just doesn't seem like that long since it came out. Will I consider it retro next year?... Hard to say. I guess it just depends on the console for me--I just can't wrap my head around the idea of anything post-DC being "retro."

I think some of todays games are retro-styled, but not retro in the age sense.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:01 am

I’d say that retro is anything before the PS1 era. We had a shift of paradigm at that time where most games moved to 3D. 3D hardware acceleration appeared in arcades, consoles and PCs and subsequently we had the rise of the modern genres we still play today.

The Model 1 hardware changed the face of arcades and introduced the 3D fighter and the modern 3D arcade racer (yes, there were 3D hardware accelerated arcade boards before Model 1, but it made 3D gaming the norm for arcades).

PS1, Saturn and N64 brought 3D hardware acceleration to consoles, brought “arcade perfectâ€

The Jester

Post by The Jester » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:33 pm

IMHO - any consule that is obsolete ie no software being produced for it from PS1/N64/Dreamcast and beyond can be considered retro - in fact Retro Gamer should do more on the PS1 games - some real classics there!

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:18 am

This seems like a good place for me to start.

I think Jester makes a good argument -- if they aren't making games for it, that makes it 'retro'. It's nostalgia for something that is no more. Of course, by that definition, X-Box is almost retro, and the Dreamcast may not yet quite be retro.

If you refer to 'generations' of consoles as they are measured by Wikipedia, I would say anything 2 generations or older qualifies as retro. Generally younger or more casual gamers will have limited interest in anything from the generation before last and this is what separates 'retro gaming' from 'gaming'.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:26 am

I am all for PS1 stuff being included. There is definately not enough Dreamcast in the mag.

sscott

what is retro

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Must depend on your age I think but retro really is associated with specific times in your life that (maybe) we try to recapture by re-playing those games. Been recently replaying Dungeon Master on the ST but it had to be accompanied by Guns n Roses Appetite for Destruction, it may be 'pointless nostalgia' but that dosen't mean its not fun!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:49 am

nwosteve wrote:If it doesn't have new games commercially released for it, it's officially retro.
Well in that case it looks like the Xbox and GameCube could be ‘retro’ before the Dreamcast!
markopoloman wrote:That would mean PC games would NEVER be retro!
Which just shows why the first quote could never be true, and you could say the same about the MAC platform, yes this has fewer games but they were being produced over a large amount of years, and to an even lesser extent the same is true for UNIX boxes.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I completed Quake on my ancient laptop. A whopping 380Mhz CPU, 32Mb RAM, 4Mb of which was shared for the graphics memory, with no hardware 3D acceleration and a weedy sound chip. Played fine, just as it does on similarly low powered handhelds like PSP. Far from beefy kit, even a PS1 can run it.
I still have Doom on an old unexpanded Amstrad 386SX, it plays, but not at full video capacity, and it's a bit slow. Can't see your point here?
It’s not the platform, whether this be a console, or the gubbins inside your PC, it’s the game that counts.

I can’t see how people could possibly call the Dreamcast or GameCube retro platforms. The vast majority of the games available for these systems are in no way ‘retro’ whatsoever. That’s tantamount to saying the Xbox360 is retro because you can buy compilations of old games for it or download ‘retro-type-games’!!!?

I just don’t see the thought process behind the ‘everything that isn’t current generation is retro’ type statement. It isn’t its just older.

When a big name manufacturer brings out a newer pair of traners, you will always get some people rushing out to buy them. It doesn’t make last years trainers ‘retro’!

For me 'retro' still stops after the 16Bit machines!

Vetus

Post by Vetus » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:30 pm

In my opinion, retro is any dead console from N64 and before. But I don't mind seeing at Retro Gamer anything about Dreamcast (which is 128-bit indeed but it unfortunately stopped being at the market very early) or new retro-style games (like Gradius V for PS2).

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:39 pm

Vetus wrote:In my opinion, retro is any dead console from N64 and before. But I don't mind seeing at Retro Gamer anything about Dreamcast (which is 128-bit indeed but it unfortunately stopped being at the market very early) or new retro-style games (like Gradius V for PS2).
but for how long will you hold this view? How long until other machines become retro?

The thing is that 'retro-ness' is very hard to quantify i any meaningful way
What is retro to one person is not to another , and quite often it makes no logical sense.

Retro is , and always will be , a matter of persoanl opinion : which is one of the reasons why the articles in each issue of RG can be so diverse
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Vetus

Post by Vetus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:34 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Retro is , and always will be , a matter of persoanl opinion : which is one of the reasons why the articles in each issue of RG can be so diverse
That's why I said "in my opinion". :? :wink:

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:09 am

paranoid marvin wrote: How long until other machines become retro?
Around 10 years after it falls out of vogue, seems reasonable to me.
paranoid marvin wrote: The thing is that 'retro-ness' is very hard to quantify i any meaningful way
What is retro to one person is not to another , and quite often it makes no logical sense.
In my opinion it only makes 'no logical sense' when people say consoles that are built using relatively modern (last ten years) technology that still have a valid commercial market place presence, are retro.
Consoles like: PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, and GameCube are generally considered not to be retro. Although the PS1 is now more debatable.
paranoid marvin wrote:Retro is , and always will be , a matter of persoanl opinion : which is one of the reasons why the articles in each issue of RG can be so diverse
True, but I don't think my opinions as stated above are entirely unreasonable. Some peoples opinions just don't seem to make sense to 99% of people, e.g. a statment like "Xbox is retro because the Xbox360 has been launched" dosn't make sence to most people.

I also don't mide things like the Dreamcast apering in the magazine, even though by my own guidelines it isn't 'retro', it is not curantly covered by the standard gaming press, so is more obscure with some interesting and little known software.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:07 am

GarryG wrote:Consoles like: PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, and GameCube are generally considered not to be retro. Although the PS1 is now more debatable.
I can’t view PS1 era games as retro. That era defined modern gaming. We are playing iterations, clones, sequels and improvements of these games.

Examples:

Then: Tomb Raider: Defined the modern action adventure. Most games action oriented games fall into this category.
Now: Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary.

Then: Quake: Defined the modern FPS: fully 3D, mouse/keyboard, multiplayer deathmatch.
Now: Quake Wars

Then: Mario 64: Defined the 3D platformer.
Now: Mario Galaxy

Then: Virtua Fighter: Defined the 3D fighting game.
Now: Virtua Fighter 5

Then: Metal Gear Solid: Defined the Stealth Genre.
Now: MGS 4

Then: Gran Turismo: Defined the “Realisticâ€

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:21 pm

Indeed, which is why the Megadrive isn't Retro, we're still playing Fifa.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:59 pm

LOL. Mega Drive Fifa was very different to modern iterations. Fifa Soccer 96 started the modern day Fifa (again PS1 era game). Same for the ISS series.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:19 pm

Dudley wrote:Indeed, which is why the Megadrive isn't Retro, we're still playing Fifa.
Please tell me you're joking. If a modern rendition of Jet Set Willy came out on the PS3/Wii, etc. would that make the Spectrum no longer retro?
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-