What is retro?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: What is retro?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 13, 2014 4:24 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Necronom posted this in another thread, but its so good it has to be in here:

The problem with this is that it's opinion.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:54 am

Its not a problem to have an opinion!

I've said before, I have no issue with PS1 and beyond in the mag, it has its place in there of historical significance, but for me, personally, that image is a fair representation of how I feel regarding the thread topic. Playing my PS1 feels like I'm playing a modern game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 am

It's a problem when people confuse opinion with fact, which is how a lot of sentiments come across.

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 am

RETRO.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Tue May 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Retro to me is a title given to games developed during the modern era aping games made many years ago. The original or old games are not retro, they're just old, which makes sense given the actual definition of retro or retroactive.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Are you suggesting we only have new games in RG? :lol:
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Are you suggesting we only have new games in RG? :lol:
It wouldn't be the first time! There are a few people who have said we should have less 8-bit - i.e. Less Retro.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Are you suggesting we only have new games in RG? :lol:
Last I checked the title of the magazine is Retro Gamer, not Retro Games. :wink:
I guess it's a case of semantics as normally I wouldn't use retro to describe old games, I think classic or vintage seems more clearly defined. I should clarify my initial explanation should be applied to "retro style", which is implied to describe games designed in the modern/recent era to be old or nostalgic. Papers, Please, Spelunky, Cave Story, and others have this old, retro look or style so would you say these are applicable under the same definition as actual old games? Maybe if these games were developed/released on C64s or for a Super Nintendo would it then be suitable even though they are "new"ly made. Even then I don't think it's a very clear definition.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed May 14, 2014 5:18 am

The word "Retro" in Retro Gamer magazine makes most sense if you read it as meaning retrospective: a present day evaluation of something old. But that doesn't completely cover the mag's remit - we're a very broad church.

As for a single unifying definition of the word "Retro" in Retro Gaming, there isn't one. You might as well look for the Holy Grail - the artifact not the film. ;) So until the day that we all agree to disagree, the "Retro" in Retro Gaming remains a matter of opinion.

It's probably for the best, the pregnant silence that would likely follow such an agreement would just be boring.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:51 am

Rory Milne wrote:You might as well look for the Holy Grail
No thanks, I've already got one ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 am

By the way can Darren get back to doing the previews for the upcoming issue, used to enjoy watching those on his youtube channel

Cheers !!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Rory Milne wrote:You might as well look for the Holy Grail
No thanks, I've already got one ;)
Already got one?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 14, 2014 8:18 pm

I told him we already got one.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 15, 2014 7:57 am

psj3809 wrote:By the way can Darren get back to doing the previews for the upcoming issue, used to enjoy watching those on his youtube channel

Cheers !!
Just put one up for the golden axe issue. It all got back logged from when I was unwell.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's a problem when people confuse opinion with fact, which is how a lot of sentiments come across.
Yep - and that's not exclusive to this forum by any stretch. People will argue til they are blue in the face that their opinion is fact. We all like/enjoy different things and that's just fine. And we should be able to discuss and agree to disagree.

Personally, I don't see (for example) the PS1 as retro - but then that arrived in my non-gaming years, so I have no connect with it - hence its of less interest to me.

But, equally, I'm sure many would argue that it is retro.... and they probably have a fair point.

And, as one of the more "senior" members of the forum, I probably see retro as something 10+ years before a lot of folk around here.

I do feel the mag has (at times) become a bit "modern" for me - but I understand that's likely to be mine issue. I'd still love to see features of more 80s hardware (such as the Jupiter Ace, Elan, etc) - however they are pretty niche.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.