What is retro?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sigma

Re: What is retro?

Post by Sigma » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:28 am

joefish wrote: Games that don't have the marketable hype of the latest graphics or control methods
They all had those things at some point though, even the oldest games were cutting edge once.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:48 am

Sigma wrote:
joefish wrote: Games that don't have the marketable hype of the latest graphics or control methods
They all had those things at some point though, even the oldest games were cutting edge once.
Yes, but they don't any more, so you couldn't promote them in today's market on that basis. What point are you trying to make?

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Just thought of something. Is it even possible to define "retro gaming" without using any subjectivity?

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:54 pm

joefish wrote:

Yes, but they don't any more, so you couldn't promote them in today's market on that basis. What point are you trying to make?
You couldn't technically promote Halo CE in todays market on that basis either, unless it used a motion sensor control scheme.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Just thought of something. Is it even possible to define "retro gaming" without using any subjectivity?
Not when there are people willing to argue that firing up an XBox or a PS2 is 'Retro', no.

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:57 pm

XBox and PS2 will become retro in few years time certainly, but atm the momernt I'd draw the line around the N64, or possibly the Dreamcast.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:30 pm

So, excuse me asking, but then why on earth are you arguing that the aforementioned Halo and Call of Duty are 'Retro' titles, if that's your view? And yes, I wouldn't be put out by Dreamcast coverage either, since it had such a short life.

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:15 am

The only reason why I don't think Halo CE is retro is because it isn't quite 10 years old yet, the only criteria I use is the age of the game and/or the game console it's played on. If someone were to say Halo CE was a retro game they may be wrong, but they wouldn't be that wrong. Something like Tekken Tag Tournament on the PS2 will count as a retro game by the end of next year by my own standards, the fact that they may well still be producing PS2's by then wouldn't be an issue for me.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Retro is - A cold winter chill, the smile on a child's face, your first love, the smell of fresh coffee in the morning, the glowing sun on a warm summers day, your first car, a beautiful sunset, a memory of those lost and departed, a thought for world peace, a need to make a difference, to stand aloft a mighty peak and say - I did it, I tamed this wonder of mother nature - and for no other reason than - because it was there!

But mainly it's about collecting old bits of crap that play games!

Protoman

Post by Protoman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Anything below say...... 1998. Yeah...... that's about right....
Come watch Protoman on Proto Retro TV - http://www.youtube.com/Protoretro/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 am

joefish wrote:So, excuse me asking, but then why on earth are you arguing that the aforementioned Halo and Call of Duty are 'Retro' titles, if that's your view? And yes, I wouldn't be put out by Dreamcast coverage either, since it had such a short life.
Welcome to Sigma and his controversial posts/threads ! Look at his history, particularly the 'great' threads such as... 'does it make your blood boil when non-gamers discuss games' and the best - 'The Atari Lynx - best handheld of its generation'...

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Might as well have my say then, seeing as I've been buying the mag a lot lately....

Retro is Dreamcast back....but as for the mag - Too much 8-bit computer coverage!!!! Seriously, the magazine just isn't balanced well enough.

I want to read more about the PC Engine forward - there's just too much nostalgia based coverage as those ancient titles aren't really all that playable anymore.

Why do I retro game? Its nothing to do with nostalgia, its because I believe the best games were made in the 90's - track / level design was at its best, games had more atmosphere and simply played better than so many of today's games. I buy retro gamer to read up on games I may have missed. If a game sounds good I'll get onto eBay and buy it to play it, not to reminice (I spelt that wrong on so many levels).

So lets hear more about games that are retro, but still fun to play ta :D
Nintendo DS games: 41

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Retro is Dreamcast back....but as for the mag - Too much 8-bit computer coverage!!!! Seriously, the magazine just isn't balanced well enough.

I want to read more about the PC Engine forward - there's just too much nostalgia based coverage as those ancient titles aren't really all that playable anymore.
I'm with you where you say there's too much 8-bit (British) computer coverage but... what would you expect from a UK magazine? What I can infer from almost a year of reading the mag is that their goal is not only to talk about consoles or games but to be able to chat with those responsible for them, so it's only logical to assume that getting in touch with British developers would be easier and more appealing to their readership anyway. Still, going a little bit more into more *console* 8-bit and 16-bit content would be a welcome change. Even 32-bit is retro nowadays anyway right? :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:14 am

For balance, retro is anything pre-PS1 and there's not enough 8 bit/early arcade coverage in the mag. 8 bit games are every bit as playable as new ones when you are selective and don't just play any old rubbish.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:10 am

Its all subjective at the end of the day I suppose, I'm just having my say, my vote. Not going to argue with others peoples' view, just for me, I'd like to see more PC Engine to Dreamcast, and not non-stop Amstrad and Spectrum talk. Non-stop bedroom coders being interviewed just doesn't float my particular boat in comparisson to features about say, the Mega CD, or a given 16-bit SNES shooter or what have you....
Nintendo DS games: 41