What is retro?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Retro is anything that normal people laugh at.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:55 am

You're retro?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:You're retro?
Ha.ha.ha.

So are you ;)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm sure I smell retro. Like real dandelions and ultra-gloss floss...

I SMELL OF HOT SPECTRUMS TOO LOL
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:34 am

Milo wrote:I'm not concerned with what is and is not retro. I can say happily that I'd gladly read about anything that isn't in the current generation of gaming. This includes PS2 and Xbox. I realise these aren't really retro at all, but that isn't the point of this post. I'd loosely class retro as PS1 and back, but more importantly, 16bit and back.

But as I said, I love reading about anything that isn't current. I'd love to see articles on games like Shadow of the Colossus, San Andreas, Splinter Cell, etc. Even if they aren't exactly 'retro'.
Yeah me also. I like the fact that I can play PS2 games on my PS3 that I missed first time round, like God Of War (how did I miss this its awesome!).
Suppose for that reason though itll be a while before PS2 is classed as retro. Or will it? When PS2 games and consoles are no longer available to buy then is it classed retro then?

AmigaJay

Re: What is retro?

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:48 am

I'd simply say Retro can be defined as anything before the last 2 generations of console, so PS1, N64 would be 'retro' though technically that would mean Dreamcast wouldn't be as its the same generation as the PS2! Though i suppose this is an exception since Sega have left the hardware business! But if to leave it in this discussion but 'non retro' list would look like this;

Previous Generation : PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, Gamecube, GBA
Current Generation : PS3, XBox 360, Wii, DS, PSP

Finally i know you can't always measure something being 'retro' by console generations or age, its just something that sometimes just feels 'retro' maybe the GBA and Dreamcast are retro before time!

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:59 am

Any console that first came in production 10 or more years ago that has been off the market for 5 or more years would qualify imo. So the Dreamcast is just about retro while the GBA isn't, but it will be in another 2-3 years.

In response to earlier comments the PS2 certainly will become retro eventually, so will the PS3. It's not retro right now seeing as it's still in production.

Bland_Boy

Post by Bland_Boy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:46 am

Retro to me, is any style of game that's become so-beloved that people still play it to this day
and still can get a lot of enjoyment(and or frustration, sometimes they go hand-in-hand) out of playing.

Or being that revolutionary for its time (at least 8-20+ years ago) or just plain interesting that people who've
played it still hold a warm place in their heart for it long-after having first played it(could be 8-20+year gap).

I'm not very articulate in speech or text(except in poetry/lyrics maybe),
this is the best I could come-up with on short notice.
For a videogame that was released 11 years ago now, Perfect Dark for the N64 completely trounces all its FPS competitors
of the last decade or so, in terms of variety of multiplayer option at your disposal.

Timothy Lumsden

Re:

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:42 am

The Master wrote:Retro is anything that normal people laugh at.

Ha ha - I change all my previous attempts to define retro and hereby adopt the above!
:lol:

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:12 pm

So, I think it fair to ask, what the hell is going on that someone can add Call of Duty and Halo to the game boards? I mean, in what sense are they retro? Maybe, just maybe, if you have the lifespan of a small rodent then they could be considered slightly less than current, but if Retro Gamer is just going to be re-reviewing my X-Box collection whilst I'm still playing it then what's the point?

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Halo CE is almost 8 years old now, to put that into perspective it would be the eqivalent age of Sonic 3 in 2002.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:23 pm

So what? An 8-year old game that people were probably still playing at the time is hardly 'Retro'. Are you saying that Manic Miner (1983) was 'Retro' to someone sat there playing CJ's Elephant Antics (1991) on the same ZX Spectrum they'd had for the last nine years?

Frankly, at this point, if someone's spent more time in this century than the last one then their opinion of what constitutes 'Retro' is worth about as much to me as a slightly damaged unboxed copy of Dawnssley. Perhaps if they loitered with fellows of their own age they'd pick up the term 'old skool' and learn to apply that appropriately instead.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Sigma wrote:Halo CE is almost 8 years old now, to put that into perspective it would be the eqivalent age of Sonic 3 in 2002.

Much as I love Halo and Xbox - they're not even close to retro yet. The Xbox has only been out of production for a few years - and the last games were still trickling out until a couple of years back. There's so much older material that's not been covered yet - it would be a shame to rush new platforms into RG - I'm sure they'll be a place for Halo in issue 162

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Halo CE doesn't have the retro feel about it quite yet, I'd give it another 2-3 years before you could begin to savor it's vintage.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Let's be clear, 'Retro gaming' is about appreciating the pure playability of games that have dropped well out of the mainstream. Games that don't have the marketable hype of the latest graphics or control methods, but still have playability that will last for decades. It's a chance to pick out and preserve the gems from all the shovelware that may have obscured them at the time.

For the geek, it's the opportunity to understand the implications of tiny amounts of RAM; bit-mapped, character-mapped and palletised displays; esoteric sprite programming and crude sound capabilities - and appreciate the skill and artistry that transcended these limitations to stunning or disastrous effect.

For the newcomer, it's about finding an inexpensive and yet priceless source of new experiences; and of understanding the mindset of a pioneering other generation of gamers that paved the way for what they enjoy today.

What it is not about is that nagging feeling that you were ripped off when you traded in your last console for the latest one. You were. Get over it.