What is retro?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 pm

GarryG wrote: As such allot of peoples granddads will have fought in the second world war and may well have died before the advent of 8bit gaming!!
My granddad was in the first!

He was practically at retirement age when the integrated circuit was invented.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Has anybody actualy got a granddad that played any type of video game then!!!?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:33 pm

My grandad tried to play Turmoil on my Spectrum once, his fingers are quite chunky so he kept pressing 2 keys down at once :D
Splink!

plumduff

Post by plumduff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:36 pm

I would say that retro is something that is not currently in vogue, but something that was at some point in the past. I guess you could say that a certain style of game could be considered retro even if it was written new today.

So a 2d shooter created today is of a style belonging to the past, from a time when those games were cutting edge and popular. The game is retro because it is not showing the trademarks of current trends, add a third dimension, wifi play and you cannot say this game is retro, it could not have belonged in the past.

The traits of retro games are why we love them, plus, for many of us, playing them reminds us of the past - and the good memories we have.

For me, I love the simplicity of mid eighties arcade games, and playing old c64 games reminds me of simpler times. However, this is only one strand to my hobby as I also enjoy more recent games and consoles.

I'm just happy I've got both.

Cheers to that...

kochane

Post by kochane » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm

I guess retro is anything from looking back into your past and having fond memories of things that are not readily commercially available anymore.

This is going to be different for everyone and of course the age of the individual will play a significant part in this!

Devious

Post by Devious » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:32 am

Celebaglar wrote:This will always be a prickly subject, and chances are that what is retro to one person will not be retro to someone else (and vice versa). Take the Quake debate... is it old? Certainly. Is it retro? Well, that depends on your definition of "retro", and there lies the rub.

For me - and this is just a personal view - Quake is a modern game that happens to be old, just as there are "retro" games which happen to be new. "Retro" has more to do with concepts than age, and it refers to concepts which are no longer prevalent or in vogue. I don't think Quake would qualify under that definition. Is Civilization retro? Same debate...
I agree. Having come out in 1996, Quake certainly isn't "retro". Rather the style of a game, particularly the graphics style is what we most consider is qualified as retro.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 am

This is only rule of thumb but i'd say that anything older than ten years old is retro.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

JD!

Post by JD! » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 pm

1500graham wrote:This is only rule of thumb but i'd say that anything older than ten years old is retro.
I agree with this. And if that's how the Retro Gamer crew also sees "retro" I'm really hopeing we get a feature on the brilliant PC game Dues Ex next year :D

For RG #53, a letter from a reader;

"Retro gaming should be all about 8-bit computers, type-ins and RAM packs. I have no interest whatsoever in reading about Sonic, Contra 4 or Indiana Jones. Please sort your magazine out or you're going to lose a long-time subscriber."

This guy is, of course, alowed to have his oppinion but this seems very short sighted to me. I've played 8-Bit games, the Master System was my first console, but personally I find 16-Bit to be infinatley more interesting. Personally if RG went only 8-Bit I'd stop buying and I'd assume that many others would as well becasue it would be covering so very little of what constituted as retro games.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:43 pm

If we're talking retro then 8 bit and 16 bit should be the bread and butter.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:12 pm

JD! wrote:For RG #53, a letter from a reader;

"Retro gaming should be all about 8-bit computers, type-ins and RAM packs. I have no interest whatsoever in reading about Sonic, Contra 4 or Indiana Jones. Please sort your magazine out or you're going to lose a long-time subscriber."

This guy is, of course, alowed to have his oppinion but this seems very short sighted to me. I've played 8-Bit games, the Master System was my first console, but personally I find 16-Bit to be infinatley more interesting. Personally if RG went only 8-Bit I'd stop buying and I'd assume that many others would as well becasue it would be covering so very little of what constituted as retro games.
I like both sides, i really like the 8 bit scene as i had one back in the day, also a 16 bit computer and also a console in the 90's (and handheld like many of us probably) so the mix is great. As much as i love 8 bits i would get bored if it was solely 8 bit only and type-ins. As much as i love the 16 bit era though its still about gameplay to me, games in the 90's had better graphics/sound/colours but werent always better but the days of the Amiga/ST were superb though. THeres some games i prefer to play on the Speccy, others on the Amiga and others on MAME etc

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:48 am

I’m not trying to be pedantic here but there are Sonic games that are 8Bit.
All the Master System Sonic games are for an 8Bit system.

Nobody’s ever going to agree with anything more than ‘retro is something that isn’t the currently in vogue game style.’
And that’s too vague for most people to leave as-is, without adding limitations on to it!

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:40 am

A five letter word beginning with R.

And an amagram of Terro which means terrorist in Portuguese.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:05 am

I also agree with 1500graham - retro should be at least a decade old - which is still a huge sandbox to play in - covers Atari VCS up to PS1 and Saturn.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:35 pm

GenghisJones wrote:I also agree with 1500graham - retro should be at least a decade old - which is still a huge sandbox to play in - covers Atari VCS up to PS1 and Saturn.
Thanks pal, good to have you on side.

superneddy

What denotes Retro to me

Post by superneddy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:44 pm

I consider anything which does not have widely available software support any more from high street sellers to be retro. Basicly anything before the dreamcast for me. Xbox and gamecube games are still widely available in shops like Game and Gamestation, and the PS2 still has software being developed for it, thus these to me cannot be considered retro. Gamestation does sell old software, but they are always under a retro section.