* OFFICIAL FEEDBACK: ISSUE 41

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 pm

nwosteve wrote:Again, that "wow" factor was missing. That's 3 straight issues in a row. I don't know exactly what it is but that old zing is missing.

I'm not going to post here and say it's wonderful if i think it isn't. This may be my last purchase of RG...
TBH if you're looking for a 'wow' factor from every mag you read , you'll generally be pretty disappointed
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:21 pm

I don't. Usually, in my house, RG arrives before i go to work so i'll have a quick flick through checking out the features. Normally, just flicking through a few pages quickly gets me thinking "i'm gonna read that" or even "i MUST read that" but, lately, there's no interest at all. The mag gets chucked onto the pile waiting to be covered with next months copy.
DGMW, i've enjoyed RG from day 1 but, for me, it's run it's course.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:29 pm

nwosteve wrote:I don't. Usually, in my house, RG arrives before i go to work so i'll have a quick flick through checking out the features. Normally, just flicking through a few pages quickly gets me thinking "i'm gonna read that" or even "i MUST read that" but, lately, there's no interest at all. The mag gets chucked onto the pile waiting to be covered with next months copy.
sorry to hear you say that nwosteve.

Still, judging from all the recent feedback we've been receiving you're clearly in the minority as many people are writing in to say the magazine's better than it has ever been.

you know the old saying though, one man's meat is another man's poison.

If you could explain why it's lost the wow factor, then maybe that would help us fix it, but I'm guessing it's going to be along the lines of I like X,Y and Z and they've not been covered in the magazine, so therefor I don't like it anymore.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:21 pm

nwosteve wrote:I don't. Usually, in my house, RG arrives before i go to work so i'll have a quick flick through checking out the features. Normally, just flicking through a few pages quickly gets me thinking "i'm gonna read that" or even "i MUST read that" but, lately, there's no interest at all. The mag gets chucked onto the pile waiting to be covered with next months copy.
Are you actually reading the mag then, or does it really just sit in the pile with an occasional skim through?

Certainly there are issues where there's not a huge 'wow' for me on first glance, but invariably once I actually start reading I tend to find some of the less attractive articles are often the best.

Don't take it at face value. Sit down with it. Savour what's been written. There's a pool of talent writing for you there that loves the subject matter and that comes through in each piece, whether you knew about the games before or not.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Are you actually reading the mag then, or does it really just sit in the pile with an occasional skim through?

Certainly there are issues where there's not a huge 'wow' for me on first glance, but invariably once I actually start reading I tend to find some of the less attractive articles are often the best.

Don't take it at face value. Sit down with it. Savour what's been written. There's a pool of talent writing for you there that loves the subject matter and that comes through in each piece, whether you knew about the games before or not.
Yeah , I agree - these are journos who write about the thing they love , and this comes through in the writing

It's the main reason I love RG so much
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:24 pm

That's absolutely right. I have read lots of articles that I thought I wouldn't like, then ended up enjoying them quite a lot.

This current issue didn't have any WOW articles for me when it arrived, but I expect I'll enjoy reading most/all of it.

rbundrd

rertoinspection

Post by rbundrd » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:32 am

i love the magazine and get it every month. i have a few ideas for this section. here goes.......

a picture of each of the console variations. e.g for the master system you could have the ms1, ms2, mark 3, mark 1 etc. some pictures/details on rarer items such as protoypes, demos, and print the website addresses of some associated websites which have a good coverage. top ten games or rarest ten games or best ten shoot em ups, etc; rather than just a list of some of the games availbile. it would be nice if the retroinspection section was longer and more in depth.

also you could have a section for people collections. maybe not picturing on persons collection, but 3 or 4 collections on 1 page, featuring 1 picture for each persons collection. with a collection of the month.

hope you found my ramblings of some use!

Wils

Post by Wils » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:41 am

Not read all of it so far, but what I have done is cracking. One thing, though, is that I'd possibly consider choosing a new typeface for the game titles on Retro Rated. Having a quick browse through what I've still got to read, I had to stop suddenly and flip back as it looked suspiciously like the first game being reviewed was "ANAL AGH!" This, of course, will create massive problems if you ever want to review a game called "Clint Flicker" at some point in the future. :wink:
Still the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:50 am

Just wanted to say that the latest issue is one of the best! Perfect mix of 8bit and 16bit stuff. The layout is really nice this time too... You're doing great!

S3M

Post by S3M » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:25 pm

One of the better issue's in a while, as the last couple have had too much 8bit and very little 16 or 32 bit features.

However as a Shining Force nut I will have to crack out my heretic hammer for the mistakes in the Game Gear feature.

Quote 1: Main Feature (Page 81)

“Classic RPG series such as Phantasy Star and Shining Force got the handheld treatment, although only the third game Shining Force: Sword Of Hajya would ever receive an English translation.â€

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 pm

Tsk. There's no pleasing some people, is there?

MC1

Post by MC1 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:07 pm

I have only been reading since issue 38 (but have got the 1-30 DVD).

This issue is the best one yet, I havnt found an article that I have not liked.

There are certain articles in older issues that I have really loved reading, but this issue is ther best overall.

Particulary enjoyed the Space Invaders article (to be honest, didnt think I would, but very pleasently surprised).

Thanks again.

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:56 pm

S3M wrote:One of the better issue's in a while, as the last couple have had too much 8bit and very little 16 or 32 bit features.

However as a Shining Force nut I will have to crack out my heretic hammer for the mistakes in the Game Gear feature.
I noticed those mistakes too and was going to say something but I think everyone in the Imagine office is sick of me banging on about ShF now.

Don't worry though S3M, if all goes to plan then the record will be set straight in a few issues time. :)

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:22 pm

You finally managed to pin down Camelot for that Shining Force feature then, Ash?

SF is to you what Strider is to Darran - when you do this piece you can die happy! :D

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:24 pm

Duddyroar wrote: SF is to you what Strider is to Darran - when you do this piece you can die happy! :D
If and when the feature goes ahead, it'll probably kill me off anyway: far too much information to cram into a few pages.