Full Dreamcast Retro-Inspection??

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:56 pm

I am so tempted to edit my post to say "isn't the PS3 a brilliant piece of equipment"

Mr. Pointless

Re: Full Dreamcast Retro-Inspection??

Post by Mr. Pointless » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:33 pm

cruachan wrote:Isn't it about time we got this??? Darran, in another topic has mentioned plans to do a dreamcast shooter special....which means he, like me, considers the dreamcast a retro machine! so why not do a full retro-inspection?
YES! 8)
cruachan wrote:I am so tempted to edit my post to say "isn't the PS3 a brilliant piece of equipment"
NO! :evil:
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:33 pm

YES YES YES :lol:

HardcoreOtaku

Post by HardcoreOtaku » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:07 pm

YES! I would love a Dreamcast article! :D

but c'mon seriously guys, can you really class it as a Retro games console??

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:15 pm

HardcoreOtaku wrote: but c'mon seriously guys, can you really class it as a Retro games console??

:lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
Thoughts and prayers.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:22 pm

I would say that any machine discontinued by it's manufacterer over 5 years ago is retro
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HardcoreOtaku

Post by HardcoreOtaku » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:26 pm

On February 16, 2006, Sega once again began selling Dreamcast consoles through its online store, Sega Direct of Japan. The package deal included a refurbished Dreamcast, a cell phone card, and Radilgy — a new 2D shooter game by developer Milestone. A short time later, developer G.rev followed that game with a second new 2D shooter game called Under Defeat in March. Both releases were for the Japanese market alone. While the refurbished package has been discontinued, Sega Direct does still sell several Dreamcast software titles.

On May 20, 2006, Sega of Japan went live with free Phantasy Star Online servers. A translated excerpt from the article reads, "I would like "Phantasy Star Online" to play forever in users. Please continue your favors toward the degree in which 'Phantasy Star Online' is patronized."

On May 30, 2006
, the gaming website IGN officially relaunched IGN Dreamcast with the goal of revisiting the 243 North American-released Dreamcast games and give "new impressions, screens and videos" and compare them to the gaming experience provided by PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii games.
Last Hope Limited Edition package.

Utilizing the free KallistiOS SDK, a port of the Neo Geo game Last Hope, developed by NG:DEV.TEAM was published by redspotgames via Play-Asia.com and various other stores on January 31, 2007. The GOAT Store has planned other games which will be released during 2007 and 2008.

On February 22, 2007, a port of the Naomi powered 2D shooter Trigger Heart Exelica, developed by Warashi, was released on Dreamcast for the Japanese market with both a current and a limited edition release. Despite rumors that went around the internet, the game was not retitled to Trigger Heart Extension for the Dreamcast release.

Milestone announced that Karous, their new NAOMI vertical shooter, would be making its way to Dreamcast on March 8, 2007.

On April 1, 2007, the official servers for Phantasy Star Online were closed. Later a campaign via paper petition to Sega Europe started, but Sega Europe finally said they will not support Phantasy Star online for Dreamcast or give the software to a third-party.

In addition, Dreamcast continues to have a modest hacking enthusiast community. The availability of KallistiOS and Windows CE software development kits on the Internet, as well as ports of Linux and NetBSD/Dreamcast operating systems, gave programmers a selection of familiar development tools to work with. KallistiOS is a homebrew minimal operating system that offers support for a majority of the Dreamcast's hardware and peripherals. Its license allows hobbyist programmers to release games created with this SDK to be released commercially. Recent examples being Cryptic Allusion's Feet of Fury (2003), S+F Software's Inhabitants (2005), JMD's Maqiupai (2005), Harmlesslion's Cool Herders (2006), and NG:DEV.TEAM's Last Hope (2007).

Using KallistiOS, many free games, emulators and other tools such as MP3 and DivX players and image viewers have been ported to or written for the console, taking advantage of the relative ease with which a home user can burn a CD that can be booted by any unmodified Dreamcast. One of the unusual but interesting hack examples is QNX Dreamcast Project .

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:41 pm

HardcoreOtaku wrote:
On February 16, 2006, Sega once again began selling Dreamcast consoles through its online store, Sega Direct of Japan. The package deal included a refurbished Dreamcast, a cell phone card, and Radilgy — a new 2D shooter game by developer Milestone. A short time later, developer G.rev followed that game with a second new 2D shooter game called Under Defeat in March. Both releases were for the Japanese market alone. While the refurbished package has been discontinued, Sega Direct does still sell several Dreamcast software titles.

On May 20, 2006, Sega of Japan went live with free Phantasy Star Online servers. A translated excerpt from the article reads, "I would like "Phantasy Star Online" to play forever in users. Please continue your favors toward the degree in which 'Phantasy Star Online' is patronized."

On May 30, 2006
, the gaming website IGN officially relaunched IGN Dreamcast with the goal of revisiting the 243 North American-released Dreamcast games and give "new impressions, screens and videos" and compare them to the gaming experience provided by PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii games.

Utilizing the free KallistiOS SDK, a port of the Neo Geo game Last Hope, developed by NG:DEV.TEAM was published by redspotgames via Play-Asia.com and various other stores on January 31, 2007. The GOAT Store has planned other games which will be released during 2007 and 2008.

On February 22, 2007, a port of the Naomi powered 2D shooter Trigger Heart Exelica, developed by Warashi, was released on Dreamcast for the Japanese market with both a current and a limited edition release. Despite rumors that went around the internet, the game was not retitled to Trigger Heart Extension for the Dreamcast release.

Milestone announced that Karous, their new NAOMI vertical shooter, would be making its way to Dreamcast on March 8, 2007.

On April 1, 2007, the official servers for Phantasy Star Online were closed. Later a campaign via paper petition to Sega Europe started, but Sega Europe finally said they will not support Phantasy Star online for Dreamcast or give the software to a third-party.

In addition, Dreamcast continues to have a modest hacking enthusiast community. The availability of KallistiOS and Windows CE software development kits on the Internet, as well as ports of Linux and NetBSD/Dreamcast operating systems, gave programmers a selection of familiar development tools to work with. KallistiOS is a homebrew minimal operating system that offers support for a majority of the Dreamcast's hardware and peripherals. Its license allows hobbyist programmers to release games created with this SDK to be released commercially. Recent examples being Cryptic Allusion's Feet of Fury (2003), S+F Software's Inhabitants (2005), JMD's Maqiupai (2005), Harmlesslion's Cool Herders (2006), and NG:DEV.TEAM's Last Hope (2007).

Using KallistiOS, many free games, emulators and other tools such as MP3 and DivX players and image viewers have been ported to or written for the console, taking advantage of the relative ease with which a home user can burn a CD that can be booted by any unmodified Dreamcast. One of the unusual but interesting hack examples is QNX Dreamcast Project .

fair enough - but that's like saying the C64 and Atari 2600 aren't retro because you can buy those special controllers with games built in

To all intents and purposes the Dreamcast - sadly :cry: - is dead.It has ceased to be , it is an ex-console
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HardcoreOtaku

Post by HardcoreOtaku » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:10 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
HardcoreOtaku wrote:

wOn May 30, 2006

fair enough - but that's like saying the C64 and Atari 2600 aren't retro because you can buy those special controllers with games built in

To all intents and purposes the Dreamcast - sadly :cry: - is dead.It has ceased to be , it is an ex-console
well IMO its not really the same as developers like milestone, GRev, Warashi and Triangle Service have been developing and releasing cutting edge games for the system in 2007.

I'm not being a spoil sport I would love a Dreamcast article,
just interested what people class as a Retro console?
Last edited by HardcoreOtaku on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Oh , I agree - it is certainly a capable machine - if Sony rather than Sega had released it , who knows what it would have been capable of?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:27 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Oh , I agree - it is certainly a capable machine - if Sony rather than Sega had released it , who knows what it would have been capable of?
Playing DVDs?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:57 am

will2097 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Oh , I agree - it is certainly a capable machine - if Sony rather than Sega had released it , who knows what it would have been capable of?
Playing DVDs?
In 1999 that would have doubled the price though.

It would have become the PS3 of that generation.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:01 pm

...the DC failed. (or was it killed?) either way... hmm... [sits back and waits for flame war to errupt]

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:42 am

Yes, I want to see a retroinspection. Put it this way, its a console I used to play a lot after 2-3 years of buying it, went in the attic & after 5 years brought it back down to relive those games of the past. So it is worthy of being called a retro machine imo if its been through the abandonment-play again stage.