from the forum question for issue 41

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:53 am

The beautiful game.........SPEEDBALL II. Never ever has repeatedly punching a centre forward in the face been so much fun. Especially when the robots come and stretcher him off. Fantastically violent, incredibly deep and tactical, best two player game ever! :twisted:
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 pm

kiniki wrote:We all thought that them saying "Left" "Jump" actually controlled the game.

Did we?? :?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Very tough choice since THE BITMAP BROTHERS made so many great games. Although I truly love SPEEDBALL 2 (and still think that it's the best sports game ever) and despite the fact that I also love GODS (an often underrated gem) I would choose THE CHAOS ENGINE as the best of the Bros. games. The graphics are beautiful, the level design tricky, the gameplay awesome - especially in 2-player-mode. A timeless masterpiece! Well, I bet I won't make it into the mag now since this rosy-tinted thread of mine got a little long, eh?

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm going with Gods, though the controls were a bit clunky, & the game didn't feel very fluid. Normally that's enough to put me off right away, but I kept persevering with Gods... I don't know why...

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:30 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
kiniki wrote:We all thought that them saying "Left" "Jump" actually controlled the game.

Did we?? :?
Well I did... but I was young :cry:

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 am

Xenon 2 on the Amiga/Atari ST. One of the best soundtracks I have heard on the Amiga and Atari ST which was composed by Bomb The Bass. :)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:22 pm

i can agree with the music for XENON 2, but the game was Dad's pants in the middle of the robe: embarassing and you wouldn't want to be caught with it! Now, The Chaos Engine, Speedball 2 and GODS.....three classics.....all with good gameplay and cracking graphics......but Speedball 2 has the Ice Cream guy..........

here's the choice: Ice Cream.....Ice Cream! and i stand by my decision.
And....as it's the only game i managed to wipe the floor with my brother with :D

and Magic Pockets........WTF!!! :shock:
lets just pretend it wasn't mentioned :wink:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:27 am

SirClive wrote:Speedball

Am I the only one who prefered the original? The pure simplistic brutality of it was wonderful.
I second that - I loved the C64 original and was perfectly suited to the bread bin - Speedball 2 was a brave attempt but was not a patch on the Amiga version.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:57 am

Speedball.

A highly innovative game based on sports at the time that actually turned out to be closer to premiership football than you'd like to believe.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 am

nwosteve wrote:Speedball.

A highly innovative game based on sports at the time that actually turned out to be closer to premiership football than you'd like to believe.
Especially if you watch Bolton :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

korean***

Post by korean*** » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:47 am

they were all a bit poor really. i think i maintained intrest in speedball for more than 5 mins...

Jayextee

Post by Jayextee » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:16 am

I like the graphics. As far as the games themselves, they exhibited a clunky robustness I couldn't comprehend, as an arcade junkie at the time. Nice shiny graphics.

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:19 pm

Easy this one: Speedball 2

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:09 pm

korean*** wrote:they were all a bit poor really. i think i maintained intrest in speedball for more than 5 mins...

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Z! Frenetic fun with cool Bitmap Brothers graphics. None of this stockpile tanks nonsense. Top drawer stuff.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)