Disappointed by the A500 feature

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:01 pm

Well , had another go - nice graphics , smooth parallax scrolling , and a good tune , but for side scrollers not as good as UN Squadron or Silkworm imho.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antares

Post by Antares » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:47 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Well , had another go - nice graphics , smooth parallax scrolling , and a good tune , but for side scrollers not as good as UN Squadron or Silkworm imho.
Here's why Apidya is great:

First, it has excellent level design which even equals R-Type imo.

Second it is full of ideas and innovations in terms of level design. E.g. in the severs level where half-smoked cigarettes are lying on the ground, still glowing and you have to avoid the smoke clouds or the dead rat with the open belly, where suddenly worms come out of it to "defend" their meal. Or the bonus rounds, like flying in the molehill where you must carefully manoeuvre through the tight ways or flying in the mouth of the big carp or the open chest of the dead rat to swim in their innards. Every world has it's own setting and a whole lot of different and unique enemies and it's all drawn with much attention to detail.

And third the in game music is one of the best ever heard. My favourite's still stage 4s Techno Blast but also all the other tunes are excellent.

For me Apidya still counts to the top 5 shmups ever made!

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:15 am

Antares wrote: Huelsbeck is the greatest homecomputer musician of all time for me! The excellent Apidya music is also written by him :D
Damn right he is. This is the only game music I'd happily listen along to and take as seriously as anything else in my CD collection. The man is a genius and Turrican is nowhere near as good without him (the C64 version seems unfinished to me when I go back). I'm sure there's enough fans out there to warrant an article.
Antares wrote: ... did everyone know the new Huelsbeck Album is coming out in August? :D
Nope. BTW, do you know where I can buy his albums (including the Turrican soundtrack comp)? I've only been able to make do with MP3s for years.

Antares

Post by Antares » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:40 am

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Nope. BTW, do you know where I can buy his albums (including the Turrican soundtrack comp)? I've only been able to make do with MP3s for years.
Some of his albums (including Turrican) are still available from Synsoniq Records:

http://www.synsoniq.de/productdetails.php?pid=5

I'm sure the other ones will pop up on ebay frequently.

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Thanks for that.

Now may the rallying for a proper write up in Retro Gamer begin.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:21 pm

I liked the A500 article on the whole, I'm an Amiga fanatic and I could find no fault with it.