Disappointed in lack of professionalism

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

deKay

Disappointed in lack of professionalism

Post by deKay » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:29 am

Blah blah long time reader, first time poster blah blah.

I was reading through the "Retro Price Listings" in the magazine this morning, mainly to see if you'd missed out any machines. You have - the Timetop Gameking and the Aquarius, for instance. But that isn't my concern.

My concern is that many of the photographs used in the article have be shamelessly, and without consultation, stolen from my own website. They are photos of machines in my own collection, a link to which is in my signature.

A simple email request would have been nice. Or a "Thanks to..." and a link to my site somewhere. How unprofessional :(

The photos used include the GX4000, the Wonderswan Crystal [sic - it's actually a "SwanCrystal", not "Wonderswan Crystal"], the Barcode Battler, the Supervision and the game.com.

chinnyhill10

Re: Disappointed in lack of professionalism

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:51 am

deKay wrote: The photos used include the GX4000, the Wonderswan Crystal [sic - it's actually a "SwanCrystal", not "Wonderswan Crystal"], the Barcode Battler, the Supervision and the game.com.
A timely reminder that just because a picture is on the web, doesn't mean it hasn't got copyright attatched to it. Same with sites that leech images.

Back in the days when I ran a website, I had other site owners steal images from my site claiming there was no such thing as copyright once you put something on the web. Such a claim is rubbish.

I'm sure RG did not intend any malice, but I can understand why you'd be annoyed. In your position I'd be furious.

deKay

Post by deKay » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:04 am

chinnyhill10 wrote: I'm sure RG did not intend any malice, but I can understand why you'd be annoyed. In your position I'd be furious.
I'm sure they didn't, which is why I'm posting here rather than getting the lawyers out :)

Other magazines and websites have used my photos over the years, and I generally have no problem with it so long as I'm asked and given credit.

A sub would be nice. *cough* :)

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:08 am

deKay wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote: I'm sure RG did not intend any malice, but I can understand why you'd be annoyed. In your position I'd be furious.
I'm sure they didn't, which is why I'm posting here rather than getting the lawyers out :)

Other magazines and websites have used my photos over the years, and I generally have no problem with it so long as I'm asked and given credit.

A sub would be nice. *cough* :)
I'm sure it will all be sorted out. It's not like the Sunday newspaper that stole an image a friend of mine had taken from a website in order to do a nasty piece on a mutual friend. Unless he had got the lawyers in they wouldn't even speak to us! They just stole the image and used it and didn't give a jot!

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:45 am

Wow. That is pretty poor and a bit surprising.

Like has been mentioned I'm sure this was a mistake and someone from the RG team will respond shortly.....
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

RandySparks

Post by RandySparks » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:21 am

I'm guessing the images were acquired by a freelancer using Google Image Search... That's what you usually find in these cases.

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:24 am

RandySparks wrote:I'm guessing the images were acquired by a freelancer using Google Image Search... That's what you usually find in these cases.
Possibly. I see hits from image search on my business website from time to time. Although image search is useful it enables people to steal work with eas and without a second thought.

default_user

Me too

Post by default_user » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:46 am

I once had a whole section of text lifted straight from one of my sites and slapped into an eBay auction description. The guy was selling a Texas Instruments TI99/4A. I like to think that he was so impressed with the professional look and tone of my site that he thought it would make his listing look better. However, when you Google for 'TI994A' my site is usually in the top five results, so it was probably just laziness on his part. I contacted him and politely pointed out that it would have been nice if he'd asked first and linked to the source but he didn't even have the decency to apologise or ask retrospectively. I wouldn't have minded either.

Anyway, I'm sure RG haven't done this deliberately and it will be sorted once they're aware of this thread. deKay, like your site by the way.
My little retro corner of the web:
http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:47 am

I've sent an email to Dekay now, so hopefully the matter is closed :)