Official FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 39 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:13 pm

yethboth wrote: Any chance of putting a MAME coverdisk on issue 50 please? :D
Yeah, including all the CHDs and rollbacks :o

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Retrogamer blu-ray edition then ;)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:42 am

Slightly quicker finished with #39 then.

80s: Someone do a writeup on Supersoft? They are one of those way back companies that you only knew by name, but no faces. I wonder if they might be alive today? That Sharp was censored. A friend of mine had one!
Paperboy: I never thought the game was that good. That's all.
A500: The Boing demo was coded _at_ CES. Gary was not one of the original chips, it was all various logic chips. Intuition was never renamed, it is still Intuition (the windowing system). Amiga DOS is the shell and collection of executables for use with it. Amiga OS is the whole distribution. Mindwalker is not believed to be the first Amiga game, Monkey Business is.
Parallax: Good stuff.
Thalamus: Liked it.
Putty: Same. Made me feel like hunting out the game. It looks bonkers, doesn't it?
C&VG: Class! Could have used the "missing MM(or was it JSW) level" front though.
DN3D: PC games are so not retro for me.
Lemmings: Knew a bit of the story already, but good nonetheless.
DID: No comment needed :-)
Jetpac: Not bad at all.

I started out thinking that this was a so-so issue, but the sheer size and number of articles ensures there is something for everyone every month, and so it was here too. Average+. (Not compared to other magazines, only to itself!)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:32 pm

What a fantastic issue!

Highlights for me were:

The cover
Making of Paperboy
Retro Inspection: Amiga 500 (apart from the dirty Amiga - Couldn't you have cleaned it, or got another picture?)
Making of Parallax
Company Profile: Thalamus
Making of Putty
The Art of C&VG
Making of Lemmings

Almost as good:

Back to the 80s
Making of Jetpac Refuelled
Retro Revivals

The only bits I wasn't very excited by were the SNK and Duke articles, mainly because I don't have any interest in Beat-em-ups or old PC games. They were okay though, and I enjoyed them more than I expected to.

Good work guys :) Looking forward to next month's.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:11 pm

From a personal standpoint, I'm finding Darran's commissions very interesting of late. There's real range in the mag, from classic 'newer' titles (Duke 3D is old enough and important enough for inclusion, in my opinion) through to totally reknowned classic titles (Lemmings). However, the mag also has a place for lesser-known (but still important in some way) titles, such as Parallax, and remakes of old titles.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:00 am

I think range is the word, that is taking RG forward.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Jayextee

Post by Jayextee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:14 am

Great issue. I'm a fan of all the 'Making of...' things, which was about right.

There is a feature I want to see, though; A feature on Sega Saturn Magazine, featuring (If it's at all possible) an interview with Rich Leadbetter. I remember, as an underdog Saturn owner, being taken back by the often-unbiased (Rich was big into some PlayStation-only titles, if I recall; and didn't he go to edit a PlayStation magazine when SSM died?) approach, and the fact that they weren't afraid to step on some toes in order to let the readership know exactly what they felt.

The magazine-lookback features are some of my favourites, though. I'd like you to eventually get through all the quality ones, regardless of whether I read them or not.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:30 am

Jayextee wrote:Great issue. I'm a fan of all the 'Making of...' things, which was about right.

There is a feature I want to see, though; A feature on Sega Saturn Magazine, featuring (If it's at all possible) an interview with Rich Leadbetter. I remember, as an underdog Saturn owner, being taken back by the often-unbiased (Rich was big into some PlayStation-only titles, if I recall; and didn't he go to edit a PlayStation magazine when SSM died?) approach, and the fact that they weren't afraid to step on some toes in order to let the readership know exactly what they felt.

The magazine-lookback features are some of my favourites, though. I'd like you to eventually get through all the quality ones, regardless of whether I read them or not.
Don't worry a feature is in the pipework. Should hopefully be in very soon.

Jedit

Post by Jedit » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:16 am

Good issue - I enjoyed it.

One query: once again a screenshot of Railroad Tycoon with the caption "One of the graphically superior ports in action" has been used on a game that isn't RRT. Last time it was at least a Sid Meier game, but this time it's Parallax! Is this a running joke?

Jetbootjack

Post by Jetbootjack » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:09 am

I found the issue okay...

Some interesting bits in there for sure, I liked the Thalmus article in particular.

But I wasn't impressed by the Amiga piece. You glossed over the hardware heriditary, failing to mention the Atari 800 as Miner's previous computer design, and the Amiga's direct predecessor - instead citing the 2600 (the 800's predecessor).

The rest of the article was a bit light weight and I don't think the games you selected really are the perfect ten Amiga 500 games, 6 of them were not even system exclusives - heck you could get 'em on the ST!!!

In home brew rated you covered conquest of mars, but failed to say it's a 2600 port of the old 800 classic Caverns of Mars...

Probably picky, but the devil's in the details :D

sTeVE

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:33 am

Jedit wrote:Last time it was at least a Sid Meier game, but this time it's Parallax! Is this a running joke?
Looks more like someone's been copying and pasting into a template and forgot to remove some old content. See also: the developer's highlights in the Boulder Dash piece from issue 27.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:09 am

Jetbootjack wrote: But I wasn't impressed by the Amiga piece. You glossed over the hardware heriditary, failing to mention the Atari 800 as Miner's previous computer design, and the Amiga's direct predecessor - instead citing the 2600 (the 800's predecessor).

The rest of the article was a bit light weight and I don't think the games you selected really are the perfect ten Amiga 500 games, 6 of them were not even system exclusives - heck you could get 'em on the ST!!!
The Amiga's history is such a long and complicated one that some minor details were bound to be skipped over in order to keep to the 6 page count. I don't think the omissions you raise were that integral to the Amiga's story and I'm much more concerned with the few factual innacuracies that crept in - thanks to Northway for pointing them out.

As for the Perfect Ten - with so many thousands of games released on the Amiga, any top 10 is going to divide fans but I don't think there's any disputing the fact that each of the games in the list is a bonafide classic and, in most cases, played or looked the best on the Amiga.

rolan

Post by rolan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:19 pm

As someone who has been buying the magazine devoutly for the past 6 or 7 months i have to say i was sufficiently dissapointed with the new issue to actually register on this site just so i could moan about it. Sorry.. im actually a big fan normally but this issue just didnt work for someone of my generation.

I understand there's more to retro games then just sega nintendo and sony, but seriously why was there absolutely nothing on any of the main retro consoles of the 80s and 90s?

As someone who started off on a nes I'm one of those people who has little interest, other then historical in the (and im sorry to use this word but in my eyes it's true) crap home computers and atari consoles that preceded sega and nintendo dominating the market. I do plan to eventually buy an amiga 500 as you can use a megadrive pad with it to make it feel like a proper console experience (irritatingly the amiga 1200 i thought would play its predeccessors games turned out to be incompatible with most 500 software and is therefore almost completely useless)

Im just bemused that you somehow did an entire retro magazine without any kind of look at anything for nes, game boy, master system, megadrive, virtual boy, ps1, saturn, game gear, pc engine, n64 or even relatively rarer consoles.

Thankfully the snes gets a little coverage via the making of lemmings and putty but it seems almost accidental that there just happened to be ports of these amiga games made.

As for a jetpac remake ... im sorry I just couldnt force myself to be interested...i did like the making of paperboy and a few other features though.

But yeah... I dont want to go on because it's a great read usually and literally the only magazine i buy every month but can you please have more of a balance next time?

Jetbootjack

Post by Jetbootjack » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Ash,

I was just pointing out that in taking a couple of sentances to describe the systems history, however briefly, that the writer could have made those couple of sentances more accurate, not write more. At least in my opinion.

As to Monkey business being the first Amiga game - it was a port (I had it on the ST), I *think* Mindwalker was the first unique game on the Amiga.

Certainly it was the first game I got for my 1000...

sTeVE

Jedit

Post by Jedit » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:37 pm

rolan wrote:Im just bemused that you somehow did an entire retro magazine without any kind of look at anything for nes, game boy, master system, megadrive, virtual boy, ps1, saturn, game gear, pc engine, n64 or even relatively rarer consoles.
So you clearly missed the past issues where RG did huge articles on the Sega and Nintendo consoles, plus the article in this issue on the "relatively rarer" Neo-Geo?