Official FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 39 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:53 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: It feels soullous and too similar to the first game, hence the low score.

Hey, it's only a score though and seeing it's a two page round-up out of 114 pages I wouldn't get too het up about it.
Well, it's more like 3,5 pages ;) But you're right about that, the reviews are - for me - usually the least interesting part of the magazine anyway.

But I still feel it's wrong to drop the score of a game for being similar to the predecessor - after all, in the case of a puzzler, you can't change the concept that much without it becoming a different game.

I confess I'm too lazy to look up if you reviewed them, but using that argument, you'd have to really bring down the score on e.g. any of the last few Bust-a-Move-games as well, since they're basically all the same anyway.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:07 am

Radar - Good to see the 'Hot Topic' forum features.

Home-Brew Rated - Nicely layout. Though do all those games really deserve 80% plus grades?

Back To 80's - Good to read about the MSX and Adam.

Revival - Nice varied selection of games and formats.

Making of Paperboy - Always been a fan of this game since I first saw it in the arcades. Nice in-depth piece.

Retroinspection - Great look at this often under-rated 16-bit.

Making Of Parallax - Never really got into this game but some nice quotes.

Company Profile - Good to read the quotes from Gary Liddon as I had read the other quotes elsewhere. Still a good feature.

Making Of Putty - Nice to read about this game.

Art of C&VG - To be honest I thought this was spoilt by a confusing layout (which has been covered elsewhere).

Making Of Duke Nukem - Ok but not very juicy.

Developer Lookback - As with the first part, I found this fascinating.

Making Of Lemmings - Always thought this series was overrated, but not a bad read.

Desert Island Disks - Another good piece from Paul. Those old photos of Ed made me laugh (the hairstyle I think!).

Making Of Jetpac Refuelled - Despite being negative towards the JSW remake article, I actually found this one interesting. Just seemed to be a bit more structured and without M****** S**** being mentioned!

Rated - Not really that bothered as I already know about most of those games from reading other mags.

Overall - Must admit there wasn't particularly one article that made me think "Wow" this month. Not sure whether its a good thing to have all the 'Making of' pieces squashed together. Think they need to be spaced out a bit more as the issue seemed a bit top heavy with them (I do realise they are popular, and I do enjoy them myself, but don't want to see an over-reliance on them). Anyway isn't there going to be a new look from the next issue? If so, I'll be looking forward to seeing the changes.

forestville

Post by forestville » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:57 am

The Master wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Master wrote:Can we have a nice big article on the BBC B please with loads of pictures and words and that :D
YES
WHA-HEY!

Oooh, that's just made my day... along with seeing my name in issue 38 again :D :D :D
yes a nice big picture of a bbc b on the front cover of rg aswell with Elite playing

that would be a cool issue of rg

8) :D
Press play on tape

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:59 am

Another fantastic issue, and I lost a good evening submerged in it :)

Articles on Thalamus and Putty were particularly favourites this month - but there wasn't anything which was left unread. Well done!

Just one little thing - thanks for the mention for Amiga Games That Weren't in the end pages, though I was wrongly given credit for it... where Adrian Simpson is infact the brains behind it :)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:18 am

LeeT wrote:Retroinspection - Great look at this often under-rated 16-bit.
Under-rated? Surely you must be joking here...?!? What's next, a look at the obscure C64 or the unknown Spectrum? :P

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:49 am

LeeT wrote:Company Profile - Good to read the quotes from Gary Liddon as I had read the other quotes elsewhere. Still a good feature.
All the quotes in the article (with the exception of the Oli Frey quote about the logo) were from new interviews/e-mails.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:56 am

merman wrote:
LeeT wrote:Company Profile - Good to read the quotes from Gary Liddon as I had read the other quotes elsewhere. Still a good feature.
All the quotes in the article (with the exception of the Oli Frey quote about the logo) were from new interviews/e-mails.
Thought I had read the Gordo ones on the ZZAP! forum from previous posts but maybe he has just given the same answers in your correspondence.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:19 pm

Wow the latest RG is better than an early night with the missus! Was well chuffed with the look back at Amiga 500, so much so that i bought my mate Boothy a copy (who hasn't converted to RG yet), as he owned & loved his Amiga that we both used to play.
I also enjoyed the article on Duke Nukem 3D which is an awesome game, especially on the Saturn & was really pleased to see Rambo, one of my favourite C64 games in the mag receiving some positive comments & yes the music IS fantastic.
Overall, a really enjoyable issue & as a bonus (for me) the PSP games reviews went down a treat, considering i've just bought myself one for my birthday. Cheers!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Heavy Stylus wrote:Several articles this month really grabbed my attention, but the Amiga 500 cover feature was a bit meh. I mean, the mag has already covered the CD32 and A1200 (if I recall correctly), so the A500 was unnecessary (in my opinion). It's like doing an article on the Atari ST one month and then the MegaSTE a couple of issues later.

The thing that most surprised me about this issue is that 'those' ads from the back have gone! :shock:

Request: Can we have a feature on the MSX? Please?
Just wait for next months A500+ article then :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

romanista

Post by romanista » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:02 am

so did dma think lemmings 2 was too complicated? while it was clearly the best in the first series, and 3 stank?

strange...

not really had time for the issue yet..
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:35 am

LeeT wrote:Home-Brew Rated - Nicely layout. Though do all those games really deserve 80% plus grades?
Do you trust me (I did the reviews)? ;)

Generally I only buy good homebrew games and I enjoyed all of them, hence their ratings. Some of them are quite challenging and will keep you playing for a long while (if they are your sort of game!).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:57 pm

Loved the Street Fighter game ending too
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

KW

Post by KW » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:07 pm

romanista wrote:so did dma think lemmings 2 was too complicated? while it was clearly the best in the first series, and 3 stank?

strange...

not really had time for the issue yet..
Yes they did. I've always had a soft spot for the second game along with the first (hence the focus on both) but both interviewees thought that the second just didn't gel together as well as the original even though there were fond memories of working on the game.

Although to be fair, they really hated three :)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:33 am

romanista wrote:so did dma think lemmings 2 was too complicated? while it was clearly the best in the first series, and 3 stank?

strange...
Not as strange as all the Lemmings 3D hate, which was being trotted out for the second time in RG. Lemmings 3D is without a doubt one of the greatest games of its era, on any format. I would trust the judgement of anyone who called it rubbish about as far as I'd take Tony Blair's word if he said my next-door neighbour was about to fire anthrax missiles into my garage.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:30 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:

strange...
Not as strange as all the Lemmings 3D hate, which was being trotted out for the second time in RG. Lemmings 3D is without a doubt one of the greatest games of its era, on any format.
In your opinion maybe ;)