Official FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 39 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:35 am

The Master wrote:Can we have a nice big article on the BBC B please with loads of pictures and words and that :D
YES

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:17 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's already been an article on the MSX, but if people are asking for another...

Yes, we all demand more!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:52 am

Heavy Stylus wrote:
The thing that most surprised me about this issue is that 'those' ads from the back have gone! :shock:
Yes, can we have the ads back please :twisted:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:17 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Master wrote:Can we have a nice big article on the BBC B please with loads of pictures and words and that :D
YES
WHA-HEY!

Oooh, that's just made my day... along with seeing my name in issue 38 again :D :D :D

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 am

Much better issue than last month's, well done! Particularly liked the Paperboy and Lemmings articles and even the Amiga article was good even though it isn't one of my fave machines. Just need some Vic 20 stuff now!

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:46 pm

I enjoyed the Thalamus article. They were one of the better publishers in the latter C64 years (the Creatures games and Summer/Winter Camp were favourites of mine) so it was nice to see them featured. I even won a Thalamus wristwatch in a Zzap competition back in the day (I was heart broken when I accidentally washed it and it broke).

MC1

Post by MC1 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:58 am

Just got issue 39 yesterday. Read it all in an evening.

Favourite article was the Amiga one. I stupidly sold my vast Amiga collection in 1994. I will replace it one day.

I could'nt find a bad article in the mag. If there was a weak article, I would have to say it was the Duke Nukem one. I can't put my finger on why??

It just didn't seem as interesting as the others.

I have found the last 2 SNK parts very insightful, looking forward to next month.

Keep up the good work!!! :D

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:58 am

Dark Reaper wrote:I enjoyed the Thalamus article. They were one of the better publishers in the latter C64 years (the Creatures games and Summer/Winter Camp were favourites of mine) so it was nice to see them featured. I even won a Thalamus wristwatch in a Zzap competition back in the day (I was heart broken when I accidentally washed it and it broke).
Glad you enjoyed it, check out the DVD Extra thread over the next few days for some more material...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:21 am

The best issue for a while , great cover as well.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:17 am

[quote="MC1"
I have found the last 2 SNK parts very insightful, looking forward to next month.

Keep up the good work!!! :D[/quote]

Way Hay! I knew somebody would read it, part three is by far the most interesting ;)
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:51 pm

Also liked the C&VG art article very much.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:53 pm

All around the content this time is great, lots of interesting stuff and nice depth in many articles.

But the reviews section is quite a letdown this month: The selection of PSP games covered is a bit puzzling, i.e. I don't get the "retro" part in some of the selections, most notably "Crush". I'm a bit surprised there's no "Impossible Mission" review, I'd have thought with Retro Gamer obviously having a good relationship with System 3, Mark Cale would have given you a review copy...

I also feel that the scores are quite off for some games, there's something seriously out of whack when a terrible travesty like "Space Invaders Evolution" get's almost the same as a masterpiece like "Lumines 2" simply - the game has almost 100 skings instead of 40 this time (and lots more puzzles included) and you're marking it down simply because you don't like about 10 of them for being based on commercial tracks? Sorry, but that's baddly missing the mark...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:39 am

Weblaus wrote:All around the content this time is great, lots of interesting stuff and nice depth in many articles.

But the reviews section is quite a letdown this month: The selection of PSP games covered is a bit puzzling, i.e. I don't get the "retro" part in some of the selections, most notably "Crush". I'm a bit surprised there's no "Impossible Mission" review, I'd have thought with Retro Gamer obviously having a good relationship with System 3, Mark Cale would have given you a review copy...

I also feel that the scores are quite off for some games, there's something seriously out of whack when a terrible travesty like "Space Invaders Evolution" get's almost the same as a masterpiece like "Lumines 2" simply - the game has almost 100 skings instead of 40 this time (and lots more puzzles included) and you're marking it down simply because you don't like about 10 of them for being based on commercial tracks? Sorry, but that's baddly missing the mark...
It feels soullous and too similar to the first game, hence the low score.

Hey, it's only a score though and seeing it's a two page round-up out of 114 pages I wouldn't get too het up about it.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:30 pm

I have only gotten up to page 40-something yet, but how come that even on second try you can get Amiga stuff so messed up???

Butchers knife out as soon as I finish it all.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:49 pm

pipoldchap wrote:Can I be a complete idiot and ask what day RG comes out? Right now it seems to be hit and miss when I find it!

Please don't laugh! ha ha
Did this months RG come out earlier than usual? Seems like only a fortnight since the last once hit the shelves! Or is it just me losing all sense of time?

It spooked me out big time!

I'd have to say that as I merit each mag on personal preference, I will read about things/games I didn't know about - but I don't really care for them.

The only things I really managed to salvage from this current issue, was the 2ND excellent SNK feature and the Duke Nukem 3D story.

I am currently reading the Jetpac feature which is very interesting though.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik