Official FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 39 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rolan

Post by rolan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Jedit wrote:
rolan wrote:Im just bemused that you somehow did an entire retro magazine without any kind of look at anything for nes, game boy, master system, megadrive, virtual boy, ps1, saturn, game gear, pc engine, n64 or even relatively rarer consoles.
So you clearly missed the past issues where RG did huge articles on the Sega and Nintendo consoles, plus the article in this issue on the "relatively rarer" Neo-Geo?
Umm the neo-geo is just so mind bogglingly expensive even now 20 years or so after its release, that I've never even met anyone who has one . So to me it errr barely counts as a home console, but i read the articled anyway as someday I'd like to get one just to see what the fuss is about.

And as for past issues focusing on nintendo and sega, past issues are just that.. past issues... (I was referring to issue 39 and only issue 39, i should have made that more clear).

the last six issues were great, whereas this one was just overwhelmingly uninteresting to me. Just my opinion.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Jetbootjack wrote:As to Monkey business being the first Amiga game - it was a port (I had it on the ST), I *think* Mindwalker was the first unique game on the Amiga.
Ah, we're into Definition Territory here then. Always a dangerous place to be, sparks can start flying any time if you're not properly prepared.

The "First release/available for Amiga" is said to be Monkey Business (or so says Peter Olafson (a man who knows a thing or two about the US Amiga games lore) over here if you start at the top http://groups.google.no/group/comp.sys. ... d7ef72b4b4).
The first "Made only for Amiga" is probably Mindwalker.
The first "Made first for Amiga then ported to others" I'm not sure about.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:28 pm

Jetbootjack wrote:In home brew rated you covered Conquest of Mars, but failed to say it's a 2600 port of the old 800 classic Caverns of Mars...
That fact was in my review on first edit, one of those points that got cut out in the drive to make the word count downwards. I always tend to write more than I need...
rolan wrote:Umm the neo-geo is just so mind bogglingly expensive even now 20 years or so after its release, that I've never even met anyone who has one . So to me it errr barely counts as a home console, but i read the articled anyway as someday I'd like to get one just to see what the fuss is about.
To which I'll only counter by saying I knew three people with one during the early-mid 90s, and in the last few years found plenty more. Prices on most games are shockingly cheap today compared to how much they used to be.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

rolan

Post by rolan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:29 am

Mayhem wrote:
To which I'll only counter by saying I knew three people with one during the early-mid 90s, and in the last few years found plenty more. Prices on most games are shockingly cheap today compared to how much they used to be.
Fair enough you obviously had very rich friends. Even among the handful of obsessive video game collector freinds I have none of them have forked over the dough for one. It could just be I was a schoolboy during it's heyday, shocked and mystified as to how a cartridge for neo-geo cost more then my snes did!

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:33 am

And there was me thinking that the price points were all discussed in the feature :)
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 am

I'm bothered by the lack of Turrican love in your Amiga article (not even a mention).

Screw the C64 versions, Turrican 2 was easily the best game on the 500 and anyone who thinks otherwise is clealrly a Nazi.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:08 am

Mayhem wrote:To which I'll only counter by saying I knew three people with one during the early-mid 90s,
THREE? Sweet Jeebus, who are you, Prince Harry?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:03 am

Even more bizarre as it seems, two of them were university students, one of whom I lived with for a year. Trust me, I didn't ask them where they got all the money from to afford the games!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:51 am

I loved the "Lemmings Making Of..." article, pitched at just the right level of detail to keep me interested throughout.

Whenever I boot it up now, it always reminds me of a day when I was off school sick and spent practically the whole day playing on it... it's just a completely surreal game, with weird and wonderful levels, a bizarre objective and "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window?" in bleepy ST chip sound! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:35 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Sweet Jeebus, who are you, Prince Harry?
Shouldn't that be in the simpson's quotes thread :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:57 am

Jayextee wrote:Great issue. I'm a fan of all the 'Making of...' things, which was about right.

There is a feature I want to see, though; A feature on Sega Saturn Magazine, featuring (If it's at all possible) an interview with Rich Leadbetter. I remember, as an underdog Saturn owner, being taken back by the often-unbiased (Rich was big into some PlayStation-only titles, if I recall; and didn't he go to edit a PlayStation magazine when SSM died?) approach, and the fact that they weren't afraid to step on some toes in order to let the readership know exactly what they felt.

The magazine-lookback features are some of my favourites, though. I'd like you to eventually get through all the quality ones, regardless of whether I read them or not.
Oh boy. You are going to be one happy camper my friend, just you wait and see. ;)

rolan

Post by rolan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Mickey T wrote:And there was me thinking that the price points were all discussed in the feature :)
To be fair (unless Id had a time machine and a copy of retro gamer in 1995) schoolboy me would still have felt baffled at neo geos prices. How they sold any at all is frankly baffling...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:01 am

Am i the only one whos got the latest issue with Mortal Kombat on the front cover ?

Waiting for a new thread about it

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Mine arrived on Saturday.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:24 am

rolan wrote:Im just bemused that you somehow did an entire retro magazine without any kind of look at anything for nes, game boy, master system, megadrive, virtual boy, ps1, saturn, game gear, pc engine, n64 or even relatively rarer consoles.
Well this months issue has a big feature on the PC Engine, one of the most underrated consoles ever.

I love Gameboy games, specially the mono ones but every issue you arent going to please every single one of the C64, Speccy, Amstrad, BBC, Oric, NES, Sega etc etc brigade are you ?

Do wish there were more SMS, NES, Gameboy, Megadrive features but i'm sure it will happen.