Subscriptions magazine cover options

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

3fruits

Subscriptions magazine cover options

Post by 3fruits » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm subscribed and really happy having my magazine delivered but I don't want the special edition covers I want the normal shop released one's. Is there anyway to choose?

Many thanks

RetroBob

Re: Subscriptions magazine cover options

Post by RetroBob » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm afraid not mate.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:06 am

No. There are loads of us in the same boat. You'll more often hear someone say on the forum they prefer the normal non subscriber copy than the other way round. I really don't know why they keep doing it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

BelfastGonzo

Post by BelfastGonzo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:50 pm

I'm the same. It's handy if you're looking for an old article and it's plugged on the front. Also more reminiscent of the old mags. Not a deal breaker though.

yalaca

Post by yalaca » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:20 am

On my side, I like the special cover, but as an alternative, maybe they could keep the normal cover for everyone, but print the special cover as a "poster" included in the shipping for the subscriber...??

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:27 am

No, that's just more crap to get creased up, damaged or lost. The sort of thing collectors hate.

Just give us a cover choice when we (re)subscribe.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:55 am

Dunno wjatbth subscriber cover is this month but surely better than the generic prince of persia one I saw in the shops.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

yalaca

Post by yalaca » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Dear Antiriad2097,
Please let me disagree with you. I'm a huge collector (sports cards, magazine, videogames, figurines) and as a collector, I would really love to have "limited collector edition" poster to put on my collection room walls.
As a company, I don't think they can afford to let people choose which cover they want. That would be hell to manage the printing and the shipping. Now, they can print and send the normal edition one way, and then print and send the subscriber edition the other way... which is way more manageable.
One thing for sure, they cannot satisfy everyone...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:24 pm

There's no current way we can give subscribers a choice of cover. If that ever changes we'll let everyone know.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:45 pm

You could just do one cover...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:45 pm
You could just do one cover...
That's not going to happen either I'm afraid.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:28 am

I cant understand why there can only be one cover. No one at Retro Gamer has ever explained the reasoning when the topic comes up. To use the word collectable is just to sell it to us as it's no more collectable than the issue in the shop. Surely if the majority of people dont want a subscriber cover then their should be only one cover. I can only presume that to print the subscriber issues is cheaper and therefore more profitable for Future PLC, while taking advantage of loyal customers.
I was a subscriber before it changed and did not get a say or informed that the product I was paying for was changing. As a paying and loyal customer, surely our voices should have some merit.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am

The subscriber cover must be internally perceived as inferior too, since it would be foolish not to choose the best possible cover for the retail copy.

rinzwind

Post by rinzwind » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:56 am

Worse, the publisher didnt even dare to ask the opinion about it in the rare questionnaire.

I prefer the commercial one since 1) it is what reminds us of retro game magazines, 2) the subscriber designs are frequently very basic and unimaginative and 3) it gives a kind of overview of what's inside. Build up tension you know. Completely missing from subscriber designs. So I would call it a failed experiment. Please undo or give a choice and youll find out soon enough...

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:42 am

I'll just add that I work at a really small publisher (about 10 full-time employees including management) with two monthly magazines, both very certainly selling in _much_ smaller numbers than Retro Gamer.

We also introduced subscriber covers a few years ago, but somehow we do manage to offer our subscribers the option to choose if they want it or prefer to get the regular cover (not absolutely sure if you can change that like, but definitely when you sign up) - I have a hard time believing a big company like Future who happily spends lots of money to setadily make their customer service worse couldn't also affordt al least that if they wanted to.

Which they obviously don't.