Issue 213

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bounty bob
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Caverns Of Mars

Issue 213

Post by bounty bob » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Received it today on time and back to normal size.

Issue looks like a good'n. Looking forward to reading The History of Green Beret, Story of Prince Of Persia Sands of Time, In the Chair with Reg Stevens, The Making of Moon, License To Thrill Evil Dead and the article on Arcade Heaven looks like a good read too.. In fact, everything in this issue looks to be a winner to hold my interest all the way through. Thanks all for a great magazine.
Attachments
16039264346761008675726.jpg
16039264346761008675726.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 383 times
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

RichL
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Issue 213

Post by RichL » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:32 am

We haven’t had any post for the week. Again.

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3366
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: Issue 213

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 am

The subscriber's cover is abysmal.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9034
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Issue 213

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:40 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 am
The subscriber's cover is abysmal.
An interesting critique lacking any nous or explanation. Could you perhaps explain further for quality control purposes?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3366
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: Issue 213

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 am

jdanddiet wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:40 am
greenberet79 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 am
The subscriber's cover is abysmal.
An interesting critique lacking any nous or explanation. Could you perhaps explain further for quality control purposes?
Nah, I said what I wanted to say. But some context - the non-subscriber version is really good.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
ely
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Issue 213

Post by ely » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:36 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 am
Nah, I said what I wanted to say. But some context - the non-subscriber version is really good.
Wow, that's some context! So what's better about the non-sub one then?

psj3809
Posts: 18935
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Issue 213

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:55 pm

I've always preferred the non-sub cover as i like seeing whats in the issue when i go to look at my mags days or weeks later

Mixed bag for me, never played that Prince of Persia game so not too interested in that, same for Parappa the Rapper, never played that but not my cup of tea. Evil Dead brings back some memories from yesteryear, same for Grand Prix 2 simulator. Love the Green Beret article, loved that game back then and still a classic. The St Brides article looks interesting, never played it but totally remember seeing it in the mags back then. Like the arcade article as well

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9034
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Issue 213

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:31 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 am
jdanddiet wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:40 am
greenberet79 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 am
The subscriber's cover is abysmal.
An interesting critique lacking any nous or explanation. Could you perhaps explain further for quality control purposes?
Nah, I said what I wanted to say. But some context - the non-subscriber version is really good.
Fair enough. I've always thought the Mona Lisa was a bit rubbish but I know some people like it. Horses for courses and all that.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6504
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Issue 213

Post by merman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Read it cover to cover, some fantastic pieces in there this month.

What I don't get is this - the covers are frequently based on the original game artwork. So those people saying they dislike the cover, is it because you dislike that original art or are you disliking the lack of cover lines and other logos obscuring it? Doesn't make sense to me.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809
Posts: 18935
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Issue 213

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:32 pm

I personally like the non subscriber covers as most of my collection had those style of covers until eventually RG went with the special subscriber covers

Part of it is the old skool charm as it reminds me of Crash with the stuff on the front advertising what’s inside it. And again I like to browse my mags and normally used to check the cover so I could see the highlights.

Granted it takes seconds to then open it up and read the contents though !

Not a problem for me though with the subscriber covers. Just happy to get the mag every month

Used to get Star Wars insider and they did the same with special subscriber divers

User avatar
ely
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Issue 213

Post by ely » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:48 pm

I've just read the Reg Stevens interview, wow what a story, he was unassuming about it all. Great job tracking him down.

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Issue 213

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:34 am

I prefer covers like this and last issue rather than when they go for a diagram of some or other console. Much better issue this month, more of interest to myself.

DRS
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:47 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: Issue 213

Post by DRS » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 am

ely wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:48 pm
I've just read the Reg Stevens interview, wow what a story, he was unassuming about it all. Great job tracking him down.
Thanks for those kind words - all the credit for tracking him down goes to Frank Gasking. My hero.

And yeah, though Reg was only in the business for a few years, the stuff he did for the Vic really pushed it... it was just a little bit of his life and he did seem really surprised how enthusiastic i was about talking to him - and that anyone else would be interested! I assured him they would - thanks for confirming it for me :)

User avatar
Tellah
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:56 am
Location: Essex

Re: Issue 213

Post by Tellah » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Is 'My Retro Life" new? More of that please. Horses for courses, but I find this interesting and relatable.

It made me think about my gameboy collecting... how it started 20 years ago, where it's going, where it's been and some of the weird, lucky and unlucky things that happened along the way... like driving to East London to meet an stranger outside a train station and swapping £100 cash for a bag of games in the middle of the night.

Maybe there's mileage in this sort of thing. I know a lot of retro tales would be along the lines of... 'i saw X game on you tube and it looked good, so i bought it off e-bay. The end'... but there might be some gold in there.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6770
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue 213

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am

Tellah wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:31 pm
Is 'My Retro Life" new? More of that please. Horses for courses, but I find this interesting and relatable.

It made me think about my gameboy collecting... how it started 20 years ago, where it's going, where it's been and some of the weird, lucky and unlucky things that happened along the way... like driving to East London to meet an stranger outside a train station and swapping £100 cash for a bag of games in the middle of the night.

Maybe there's mileage in this sort of thing. I know a lot of retro tales would be along the lines of... 'i saw X game on you tube and it looked good, so i bought it off e-bay. The end'... but there might be some gold in there.
Yes it's new, as it Hot Topic.
We've been wanting to spruce up the back end of the magazine for a while so going back up to 116 pages felt like a good opportunity to do it.
The aim is to just make us a little more relatable and personable and get some insight into why we enjoy retro. Most of the upcoming articles will be collecting focused, but I'm sure we'll do other things as well.
Glad you found it interesting.

Funnily enough your anecdote reminds me of when I picked up my modded Saturn from someone. We meet in an abandoned carpark, where I picked up the system. I can only imagine how it looked to passers by :lol:
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest