When did the paper quality of the magazine get so terrible?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RuySan

When did the paper quality of the magazine get so terrible?

Post by RuySan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:16 am

I used to buy the magazine religiously until the nr.100 or so, but due to lack of space I've been subscribing to digital.

I bought nº200 and now the nº212 due to the lovely Monkey Island cover and I'm appalled by the quality of the paper. It's so thin and flimsy that it feels it's of the verge of tearing every time I read it. For something that is supposed to be stored and collected this is inexcusable. There's no comparison with the old issues from 10 years ago.

I bought a car magazine for 1€ the other day and I'm not joking when I say the paper quality is way better than current Retro Gamer.

psj3809

Re: When did the paper quality of the magazine get so terrible?

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:45 am

Think the paper quality has changed tons but i've never had extra 'rips' or anything, presume the papers changed as they may be using some recycled type of one which is fine by me. But no rips here

ely

Post by ely » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:14 am

There's no doubt that different magazines use differing paper, I get 3 different mags a month (RetroGamer, EVO and Edge) and RG is probably the least weighty in that regards, but it's never been a problem for me and I've not noticed a change in recent times. Certainly I never have an issue with pages ripping, even when reading it in the bath :mrgreen:

I'm curious what car magazine you bought for 1€?

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:53 pm

They use paper that I think can't take the ink too well - it gets too saturated by it and becomes more or less "wet". The result is that you get a warping effect to it.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:35 pm

I think the paper quality changed within a few months after Future Publishing took over from Imagine 4 years ago. There was a few forum posts about it at the time
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

rinzwind

Post by rinzwind » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:01 pm

True paper certainly changed few years back. Paperweight went down. Sad but what can you do... especially since its a magazine that does not age...