Issue 212

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kebabinho

Re: Issue 212

Post by kebabinho » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:31 am

My subs hasn't arrived either. says delivered next to it. Ill give it a few days and then get them to resend

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:00 am

kebabinho wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:31 am
My subs hasn't arrived either. says delivered next to it. Ill give it a few days and then get them to resend
I'd wait if I was you. According to Twitter no one has had their sub copy yet.

https://twitter.com/RetroGamer_Mag/stat ... 8671813632

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:02 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:11 am
Weblaus wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:16 pm
reaction I got from Magazines Direct was along the lines "we can't find anything, are you really sure you made one?" despite me even forwarding them a copy of the order confirmation email
The person from Magazines Direct that I spoke to on the phone asked me to email them a screenshot of the PayPal transaction for my single issue order as well as the order confirmation email.

Did you happen to pay by PayPal? If so it might be an idea to email Magazines Direct a screenshot of the relevant transaction like I did so they can track it through the PayPal transaction id.

Update to follow when I hear more about my order.
Magazines Direct emailed back needing more info. I have sent the paypay transcation number, so hopefully that will clear things up.

Enjoyed the Games World article and are looking forward to Dan Cheap MDF rubbish on the Island. Guitar Hero looks out of place though, seems too new and not so much a game? Nice to see Mega-CD games pop up in the mag too - this month with Silpheed, pronounced Silf-heed - been calling it Slipheed for over 25 years! :lol:

A Moment Laurence Bennion (Vectrex Overlays)
Back to November 2003
Classic Moments Jumping Flash!
Collectors Corner Barry Harmon (Sega)
Desert Island Disks Dan Cheap MDF rubbish
EndGame Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally
Feature Legacy of Monkey Island
Future Classic #75 Yakuza 0
Hardware Heaven NEC PC-FX
Making of Karateka, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Games World
Making of The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Guitar Hero
Peripheral Vision Nintendo Famicom Disk System
Retro Inspired Battletoads
Retro Revival Spy Hunter, Darkwing Duck, Silpheed, MUSHA Aleste, TimeSplitters 2
So You Want To Collect Commodore 64 Games
Ultimate Guide #135 Super Castlevania IV

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Not got my subs issue yet...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:49 pm

Well, it is something special when the latest issue gets 2 pages of comment....... and it's not even here yet :D

Fingers crossed i like it more than the last 2 issues. Normally I get the odd one, but 2 in a row is very rare!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:13 am

On Twitter it says they’re looking into the issue as subs haven’t received theirs yet

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:03 am

Can anyone in the know confirm they have actually been sent out?

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:04 am

RichL wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:03 am
Can anyone in the know confirm they have actually been sent out?
This is the latest from the in-house team, followed by comments from readers:

https://twitter.com/RetroGamer_Mag/stat ... 2233603072

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:10 am

Thank you. Must admit I am not a twitter user so wouldn’t have checked there first.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:45 am

RichL wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:10 am
Thank you. Must admit I am not a twitter user so wouldn’t have checked there first.
No worries. :) And fair enough about not using Twitter, although it seems to be where to get the latest news on the mag at the moment.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:06 pm

"Unexpectedly delayed"... Aye, sure.

If there really was a production delay (which is presumably what they mean), then the retail copies would have been delayed as well, surely. More like the new subs service messed up.

I have a feeling it's going to become the norm to see retail copies in the shelves before we get our subs copies going forward.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:37 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:06 pm

If there really was a production delay (which is presumably what they mean), then the retail copies would have been delayed as well, surely. More like the new subs service messed up.

I have a feeling it's going to become the norm to see retail copies in the shelves before we get our subs copies going forward.
A new company that Future bought back in April has taken over the subscriptions and back issue orders in the last few weeks. They've been managing subs and back issues of other mags for years, and they have really good historical feedback on TrustPilot.

The delay is down to teething problems, more specifically the new company integrating the previous subs and back issue operation's databases into their own back office systems. Even more specifically, the new company's website was updated to list Future mags like Retro Gamer before the databases were moved over.

I think it's good that they were optimistic, but they obviously bit off more than they could chew. Subs copies have been arriving later than retail for me all year, so if the new company Magazines Direct get them delivered at the same time as when they're in the shops I'll personally be more than satisfied.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Let’s see if Edge suffers the same fate. Due in the shops on the 8th so would have expected to get my subs copy by now...

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:37 pm
learnedrobb wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:06 pm

A new company that Future bought back in April has taken over the subscriptions and back issue orders in the last few weeks. They've been managing subs and back issues of other mags for years, and they have really good historical feedback on TrustPilot.

The delay is down to teething problems, more specifically the new company integrating the previous subs and back issue operation's databases into their own back office systems. Even more specifically, the new company's website was updated to list Future mags like Retro Gamer before the databases were moved over.

I think it's good that they were optimistic, but they obviously bit off more than they could chew. Subs copies have been arriving later than retail for me all year, so if the new company Magazines Direct get them delivered at the same time as when they're in the shops I'll personally be more than satisfied.
See, for me, this issue is now going to arrive 2 weeks "late" effectively. I appreciate there may have been teething problems, but that doesn't excuse the total lack of communication. Indeed, they had the gall to mark copies as "delivered" on people's accounts when they hadn't even been posted. That's not just "teething problems". That's incompetence and lies.

I work in customer service. Its what I do. If I was made aware of a delay in providing my customers something they had paid for up front, you better believe I would contact them, let them know there would be a delay and apologise. I wouldn't wait until I'd been badgered over it, then get a 3rd party (which is what the magazine's Twitter account is in this case) to tell people after the fact.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Amen.