Issue 212

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bounty bob

Issue 212

Post by bounty bob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:11 am

Where is it? Its in the shops but not had subscriber issue. Any one else still waiting?
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

MatOfTheDead

Re: Issue 212

Post by MatOfTheDead » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:21 am

still waiting not had any emails to say its been sent etc

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:32 am

With this being the first issue being sent since the new website has launched, I'm prepared to everything imaginable going wrong.

In my account it does have a checkmark as "delivered" (obviously not true, maybe saying "dispatched" would be more believable at least), I haven't received any related email for months now, so I guess we'll see in a few weeks...

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:48 am

I ordered 211 from the new website & never received it. Might take longer as the site gets up and running?

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:03 am

Not had subs issue either.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:06 am

with the lack of communication from this new site and them not responding to support tickets im very doubtful about renewing my sub

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm

I actually got a reply this Friday to a complaint sent on on the 10th September... sort of.

Because it was the most lazy copy-and-paste "apology" imaginable, telling me they're sorry for the delay, that my problem might be resolved on the website (nope) and if I still require assistance, I should sent another mail (yay) and that would be put to the front of their queue (yeah, sure).

Since the problem in question was that a single issue on the previous website was paid for, but never dispatched and on the new website no trace of said order can be found, I'm absolutely convinced they'll manage to solve the problem, of course.

And even better, I had to send that complaint twice - the original one actually did get answered around two weeks ago by someone that had absoluetly no clue or interested to even read what I wrote (inlcuding a proof of the order and payment), which the follow-up email being ignored ever since then.
Eric wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:48 am
I ordered 211 from the new website & never received it. Might take longer as the site gets up and running?
Which is why I didn't even try to order a single issue as I don't trust that company one bit anymore. At this level of incompetence, nothing seems impossible.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:08 am

Mine says delivered too on that new manage your subscription website. Considering we haven't seen a postman in our area since last Monday, this is untrue.

Before people harp on 'maybe its just you that didn't have any post' I live at the top of the road where postman parks his van for probably last 20 years. There hasn't been a van all week.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:06 am

Have had post every day since Wednesday so doubt it's because of no post. With regard to saying it could be down to the website change. This I presume is just the front end changing names and style. It's still owned and run by Future Publishing and unless they've changed the distribution side, I can't see what the problem is for sub issues. I hope it's not down to Future having cash flow problems and not paying the bills.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:15 am

Presume we’ll find out next week. My copies normally arrive early but at the moment it’s obviously late. If it doesn’t turn up next week then I’ll be concerned

Hopefully it’s nothing

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:14 pm

bounty bob wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:06 am
With regard to saying it could be down to the website change. This I presume is just the front end changing names and style. It's still owned and run by Future Publishing and unless they've changed the distribution side, I can't see what the problem is for sub issues.
It's not just the front end changing names and style. The new company managing subs is Magazines Direct, which is owned by TI Media, which Future completed the purchase of in April - see link below. So yes, Future is still handling the subs, but the operation has moved from one set of people to an entirely different set of people.

According to the person I spoke to at Magazines Direct last week, the transfer of customer details was completed last Monday, and this seems to be reflected in the account section of its website, which now has options available that used to be greyed out.

I was told that some single issue orders that were made in September - including one of mine - weren't processed, although payment was taken. Magazines Direct are now working through these to make sure people get what they ordered, but as you can imagine there's something of a backlog.

Darran has said on Twitter recently that neither he or anyone on the Retro Gamer in-house team has any info on the situation, but I'll post on here when I find out more about my missing issue.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/future-c ... usinesses/

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:14 pm
bounty bob wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:06 am
With regard to saying it could be down to the website change. This I presume is just the front end changing names and style. It's still owned and run by Future Publishing and unless they've changed the distribution side, I can't see what the problem is for sub issues.
It's not just the front end changing names and style. The new company managing subs is Magazines Direct, which is owned by TI Media, which Future completed the purchase of in April - see link below. So yes, Future is still handling the subs, but the operation has moved from one set of people to an entirely different set of people.

According to the person I spoke to at Magazines Direct last week, the transfer of customer details was completed last Monday, and this seems to be reflected in the account section of its website, which now has options available that used to be greyed out.

I was told that some single issue orders that were made in September - including one of mine - weren't processed, although payment was taken. Magazines Direct are now working through these to make sure people get what they ordered, but as you can imagine there's something of a backlog.

So far as I know no one has had their sub copy of RG 212 - not even Darran. He said on Twitter recently that neither he or anyone on the Retro Gamer in-house team has any info on the situation, but I'll post on here when I find out more about my missing issue, and also when my sub copy of 212 turns up.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/future-c ... usinesses/

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:14 pm
And single issue orders from August (i.e. still on the old site) that were paid, but not dispatched, have vanished into thin air - and the only reaction I got from Magazines Direct was along the lines "we can't find anything, are you really sure you made one?" despite me even forwarding them a copy of the order confirmation email along my complaint.

This whole change has been handled so embarassingly bad I'd not have expected that even from Future, and that is really saying a lot.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:51 am

Postman has just been. Still no new issue.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:11 am

Weblaus wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:16 pm
reaction I got from Magazines Direct was along the lines "we can't find anything, are you really sure you made one?" despite me even forwarding them a copy of the order confirmation email
The person from Magazines Direct that I spoke to on the phone asked me to email them a screenshot of the PayPal transaction for my single issue order as well as the order confirmation email.

Did you happen to pay by PayPal? If so it might be an idea to email Magazines Direct a screenshot of the relevant transaction like I did so they can track it through the PayPal transaction id.

Update to follow when I hear more about my order.