Issue 211

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Weblaus

Re: Issue 211

Post by Weblaus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:46 am

gienekk wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 am
My last subscription (206-211) has been purchased with the 8bit controller promotional gift (bonus URL) and it should be ongoing. However, with current situation I'm not able to check when (or if) they will charge my account for the renewal. It's 14th of September and the subscription details page still shows "Oops" ;)
Try again now: I actually was able to finally login just a few minutes ago! And my subs details were there as well - never would have though that they'd really hit their (second) deadline.

So it's at least partially working, because there's also a not saying this:

"We are sorry but some mymagazine.co.uk services are temporarily unavailable while our systems undergo a major upgrade. If you want to Suspend subscription, Resume Subscription and Replace Missed Issues, please contact our Customer Services team or raise a help case here."

No mention of cancelling subs, though, but that's problee part of the "suspend or change" option that's for now greyed-out.

And the delivery schedule shows this:

209 9 Jul 2020 Delivered
210 6 Aug 2020 Delivered
211 3 Sep 2020 Delivered
213 29 Oct 2020 Next issue

Quite a bit confusing, because somewhere else on the page it's also saying

Next issue delivery
1 Oct 2020

which obviously refers to issue 212 that's missing in the list above. But at least it does seem for now there won't be a skipped issue, hoefully.

Though still no clue when 211 will arrive and/or if delivery routes might have improved with the change of service... guess I'll have to wait and see.

In your specific case, my best guess is that your subscription will already have been renewed at this time for the amount of issue your original deal was set for, as new orders seem to start with 213, like you said.

gienekk

Post by gienekk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:58 am

I did try it, however on my account it says "Your subscription has been expired. Renew now and save 51%", with "Renew now" part as a hyperlink.
Thing is that "Renew now" hyperlink isn't working, so I dropped them a message through a form to renew from issue 212, so we'll se what happens next.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 am

mine says next issue delivery 1st october 2020 too and 212 isnt in the list

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:01 am

Never noticed the new £5.20 cover price that started 3 or so issues ago.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 pm

Got back my first reply from the new (?) customer service... on an inquiry of what happened with a single issue order (for Edge, which I have not subscribed to anymore) that had the order confirmation attached:

- they told me thex could find a single issue subscription (what?) in their system
- asked me to supply my 8-digit subscription number (how?) or my address (which was included in the attached order confirmation)
- told me to look in my spam filter if I didn't receive an order confirmation (which I did receive and had attached)
- asked if I had been charged (yes, because PayPal, as was noted on the order confirmation.
- if I had been charged, I should supply proof (erm) and in case of credit card (nope), to not include the full number (you don't say)
- finished with "As soon as we have this information we will be able to locate your subscription and advise you accordingly." (I inquired about a single issue I ordered, not a subscription).

So... doesn't look like things will get any better, which probably will surprise nobody.

To end with something positive, the new editor-in-chief of Edge came through with her offer: she had said she'd send me a replacement issue herself and that actually arrives this week. Which obviously is awesome and very much ulinke the "lalala we can't hear you" attitude from ccertain other magazines.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:09 am

Weblaus wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 pm
To end with something positive, the new editor-in-chief of Edge came through with her offer: she had said she'd send me a replacement issue herself and that actually arrives this week. Which obviously is awesome and very much ulinke the "lalala we can't hear you" attitude from ccertain other magazines.
That's good to hear.
We're not receiving any issues at the moment so we have none to send out.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:19 am

Is the placement of ads handled separately from content?

The placement of “100 games to play before you die” followed a page later by the “Who’s most at risk” ad seems out of place somewhat.

Can the virus ad not be dropped? Not really suited for a games mag.

Also can Future not replace their ad for one not entitled “... Before you die...”?

Knight Tyme & Joe Blade 4 were great articles and also Nicks new series going great with this month’s on physical releases. Darran’s Screamers / Pinball Fantasies, Burning Rangers & new Lost In translation were big highlights too.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:49 am

Seems like perfect placement to me.

At least it must be nice to know that as a gamer, you're immune and not at risk. I'm sure that's the case, else the ad would be wholly suited to a mag whose readers are at risk.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Not an issue at all. If they get money for the ads that can only but help the mag survive

Normally just turn the page instantly. Wasn’t even bothered by the MILF hotlines years back when some people weren’t happy over them. And no I didn’t note the numbers down !

BiNMaN

Post by BiNMaN » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:15 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm
Not an issue at all. If they get money for the ads that can only but help the mag survive

Normally just turn the page instantly. Wasn’t even bothered by the MILF hotlines years back when some people weren’t happy over them. And no I didn’t note the numbers down !
I've got those back issues, so hit me up if you need the numbers again :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:43 am

Isn't it easier just to call you direct ;)

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:26 pm

just a update to say 212 is now showing up in my delivery schedule

ely

Post by ely » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:01 am

FInally got round to the SNES article, loved it, well done to whoever to put that together. You forget how spreadout console launches between Jap, US and EUR used to be!!

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:57 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Back in those heady days when the only thing I'd hit before the Milf hotlines was the In The Chair interviews

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:32 am

Issue 211 arrived in my part of Germany today - which is surprisingly fast, usually it takes up to two weeks longer.

But of course the big advert still points to MFM.co.uk and the subscriber number on the address label also still is the old 10-digit one - not helpful at all for the new website or communication with costumer "service".

So I guess the next issue should be the one that finally reflects the new status and will show if delivery to non-UK subscribers will work... fingers crossed.