Issue 211

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BelfastGonzo

Issue 211

Post by BelfastGonzo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Did Issue 211 happen?

I was going to order it just now, but it doesn't seem to be available on the new subscriptions website, magazinesdirect.com

I had been ordering single issues due to the pandemic closing down the only retailer that sells the mag in Northern Ireland, and this one seems to have slipped through my grasp with the change in website. Some warning would have been nice.

I'm fed up with the hassle of just getting single issues, so I've taken out a sub, but the earliest was issue 212, leaving a hole in the collection. I guess ebay? :-(

psj3809

Re: Issue 211

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 am

It’s only just come out to subscribers. Just had a look on that website and they have issue 211

Also to me subscribings so easy and cheap

BelfastGonzo

Post by BelfastGonzo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:49 am

It certainly does look like they have issue 211 on the site, and there's even a pic beside my subs order, but it wasn't actually possible to order. Honestly! Issue 212 was the first option for starting the sub, and there's no way to order an individual issue. Try it and see, and let me know if you have better luck than me, in case it's my browser.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:03 am

Have you tried using the link below and then choosing issue 211 from the drop down under where it says: 'Choose your issue'?

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-sing ... ssue.thtml?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am

Worked for me, went to my basket to pay, still saying RG issue 211. All seems fine

ely

Post by ely » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:16 am

I’ve been reading magazines (mostly computers, gaming , sports and cars) for 40 years and always read the monthly regular columns first. The RG ones always seem a bit short.

I’m curious what the required word count is for the Mr Biffo and Iain Lee columns. Each month it seems like they are just getting going on an interesting topic and then it ends, and half the page is taken up with a relevant screen shot.

But maybe I’m an anomaly and other people find them to be just right.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:41 am

This whole situation is the huge pile of a mess especiaully non-UK customers have come to know so well over the last few years.

- Yes, issue 211 is available as of this Thursday - not just for subscribers, but e.g. on Readly as well and probably in physcal stores, at least in the UK.

- There are two one-page ads in the magazine for new subscription deals or the Autumn discout still using the URL for the by now non-existent old website (MyFavouriteMagazins = MFM). Does nobody at Future check these things? And please, nobody say "it was too late to change" - magazine deadlines are not _this_ far away from retail dates and the website switch happened about two weeks ago, so clearly someone (not necessarily the editoral team, of course) should have known about that in time.

- Only today I was finally able to set up my account on the new subscription website without that thing asking me for information I have not yet available (e.g. the supposedly changed subscription numer) or it didn't accept. But of course, after having logged in, I'm currently stuck at a page saying "We’re sorry, it seems an unexpected error as occurred." - baby steps, I guess? Because having the new system run properly before switching the old off would have made too much sense?

- We have no idea how or if non-UK delivery of issue #211 onwards is impacted by the change - as it previously has usually taken around 4 weeks for my copy to make its way from the UK to Germany (which is so far away, obviously),I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for quite a while longer.

- I still don't know if the last single issue order I made on the old MFM site (the current issue of Edge) will ever be dispatched - it was shown as available, of course they happily took the payment, but nothing happened until the site went away (about two weeks afteer I put in the order) and a message sent to the customer service just gave me an auto-reply from magazinesdirect.com saying that an aswer to my request might be coming after September 10th (we'll see, I'm not very optimistic about that).

- On a related note, the new editor of Edge magazine offered her help in this regard and is quickly answering to tweets and emails, despite this very clearly not being part of her main job - I very much appreciate that and from what I understand, she's also not getting much support from elsewhere. On the other side, anything in relation to subscription or other woes posted on the RG forum or on their FB site by various people gets completely ignored - not great at all.

- Do we know if single issue orders will be tracked in the account on the new subscription site? My guess would be: no - because for whatever reason, magazinesdirect.com is a different domain and orders don't even require an account? Can't say for sure as I'd have to finish the order process which I currently don't want to.

- I does indeed look like #211 is now available for sale on the website, but when you take a look at the drop-down link, it says "delivered approx. 30/09/20" for that and all previous issues. Clearly some sort of placeholder date I'm not inclined to put my faith in.

- Fun Fact: If you go through the help section on the subscriber page (that being mymagazine.co.uk) to the informahion regarding "How do I purchase a single issue or a back issue?" it does NOT direct you to magazinesdirect.com but instead "you may find what you are looking for via a 3rd party website" called MagsUK (mags-uk.com) - and unsurprisingly, as of right now, there's not a single gaming related magazine from Future listed there.

- And of course the fact that apparently no subscriber was given up heads-up of the change to the new website via email is speaking volumes. Maybe in hindsight I should have guess something was up when the constant barrage of advertorial emails vanished in early July (so somebody knoew something back then and didn't tell the makers of the magazines in time to change the ads in print - see the second bullet point above) , but I's say that's not really a proper substite for a real notification.

I know a few people who already have let their subscription lapse or are thinking of not renewing because while each one still enjoys magazines printed on paper, they're so fed up with all the annoyances that have endured for years now with the current shake-up being the icing on the cake. Which is a shame, as the content in RG still is as fine as it ever was and deserves to be read, but I can understand their frustration just too well.

gienekk

Post by gienekk » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi, could anyone share the URL for special subscription offer (international) from issue 211? My subscription ends with issue 211, so I would like to renew but haven't received my copy yet.

Thanks in advance :)

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:06 am

gienekk wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm
Hi, could anyone share the URL for special subscription offer (international) from issue 211? My subscription ends with issue 211, so I would like to renew but haven't received my copy yet.

Thanks in advance :)
Since none of people who usually are quick to point out how all is fine and dandy can't be bothered to answer, I've looked it up for you in my shiny digital Readly copy, as god know if and when second-rate customers (i.e. anyone ouitside the UK) will get their subs issue.

Accordin to the printed ad, it's this:
www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/Pacman20

Of course, with that website not existing anymore, you'll get redirected to the new one which claims the new gift is some headset, but as always that's only available for UK customers anyway.

So you're could go with the standard subscription rate (currently 86 Euros for 13 issues), but nobody will be able to tell you if you alternatively just can renew your old one and if you'd still in time for 212 (highly unlikely by now), because trying to log into the account on the new wesite just show the same thing as it did the last week or so :

"Oops looks like there's a problem

We’re sorry, it seems an unexpected error as occurred. Please try again, and if you still experience problems contact our customer care team."

Which may or may not finally change by September 14th as supposedly the account migration is planned to be done at that date.

I guess we'll see tomorrow...

gienekk

Post by gienekk » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm

OK, that's a bummer. Anyway thanks for the link even if it doesn't work. Hopefully, we'll find tomorrow if the migration is complete.
Right now, it's not possible to order new sub from issue 212, but perhaps they'll charge my account for continuation of current subscription.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Sure they will. I subscribed years back and it just continued on and on

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 pm

gienekk wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm
Right now, it's not possible to order new sub from issue 212, but perhaps they'll charge my account for continuation of current subscription.
It's like this: If you had a rolling subscription, it would most likely just go on - but based on what you're writing that's not the case (because then there wouldn't have been a last issue and the need to renew manually). So it'll have expired, as I very much doubt they could legally switch the status to rolling without your explicit consent.
psj3809 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:35 pm
So you apparently have a rolling subsciption and he seemingly didn't. Which would bascially mean your previous experiences and predictions are not applicable for cases like his.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:36 am

Weblaus wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 pm
gienekk wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm
It's like this: If you had a rolling subscription, it would most likely just go on - but based on what you're writing that's not the case (because then there wouldn't have been a last issue and the need to renew manually). So it'll have expired, as I very much doubt they could legally switch the status to rolling without your explicit consent.
psj3809 wrote:
So you apparently have a rolling subsciption and he seemingly didn't. Which would bascially mean your previous experiences and predictions are not applicable for cases like his.
If you pay a one-off fee for your subscription, it ends.
If you pay by Direct Debit, it continues until you stop the Direct Debit.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 am

With the Future site, I found it very interesting they are publishing sales numbers of the magazines, its always been hard to find that kind of info - I didn't realise RetroGamer sold so much more print copies a month than Edge does (50% more), utterly thrashing it (and deservedly so), great work team

gienekk

Post by gienekk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 am

Weblaus wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 pm

psj3809 wrote:
My last subscription (206-211) has been purchased with the 8bit controller promotional gift (bonus URL) and it should be ongoing. However, with current situation I'm not able to check when (or if) they will charge my account for the renewal. It's 14th of September and the subscription details page still shows "Oops" ;)
I asked for the new promotional subscription link, because I wanted to cancel current and buy new sub for 6 months, instead of 3, like I did last time.
But without cancelling current sub and no informaion about charging my credit card for renewal I don't know exactly how to proceed...